Glider radios from Europe etc

Old August 29th 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider radios from Europe etc

My fsg71m , the Led panel has finally died so I cannot see the freq.
None of this model is being advertised for sale at the moment so
I can do a straight plug in replacement.
Others have said the AR4201 is a good unit but I see the specs indicate
13-14 volts power supply , how does it handle 12 volt batteries or will I
have to add an extra 2 volt capacity to keep its performance.
I have seen ATR500 and ATR600 with the same power requirements.
We are required to upgrade our transponders this year to ADSB out
so budget is a consideration.
If anyone has a radio with old 25 freq spacing please send me an
email with Pic, price etc.
gfoneill AT xtra dot co dot nz
Old August 30th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Check the classifieds he

http://glidersource.com/cgi-bin/post...pe=Instruments

There are several radios available from Europe. Ross Drake has a bunch of FSG 2T radios listed there. I have purchased a few radios from Ross over the past few years and he has been easy to work with and provided good quality used radios.

The bonus to buying an FSG2T is that it uses the same pinout as the FSG71M and you can just plug your current wire harness into the back of the radio, mount it in the panel and it will work.

Pretty much all of the radios have a 13-14V specified range, but they work fine with our 12 V systems. The Becker doesn't give low voltage warnings until it gets below 10.5 volts IIRC.
Old August 30th 20, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Way too many Becker 4201s have serious problems when it ages so I would advice against installing a used one.
Old August 30th 20, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

My experience with Becker 4201’s is different. I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen. My $0.02.
Old August 30th 20, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.

Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.
Old August 30th 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I replaced my FSG71M with an FSG2T that I got from Ross Drake. It was a simple plug and play drop in and I love the radio. I think Dittel's are the best, and the FSG2T is great. The biggest improvement over the 71 was the addition of variable squelch.

Nice big display and easy interface. Get a 2T and you won't regret it.

-Kevin
2B
Old August 31st 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

There are some nice features of the FSG2T over the FSG71M. The dedicated single knob squelch control that Kevin 2B mentions comes to mind.

One feature of the FSG71M that I wish was in other transceivers - the dedicated single knob frequency memory selector. During soaring travels I set up memories for the host airport unicom, AWOS, 123.3 and 123.5, then maybe other area airport's unicoms. Makes is very fast to move between frequencies.
Old August 31st 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

FSG 2T also has a nice memory function. 99 memory channels IIRC .

Easy access, push the F/CH button then spin the big knob until you reach your desired pre-programmed frequency.

The biggest problem with the 2T is that big knob gets flaky, probably due to oxidation on the contacts, and hops over channels, but I have found spinning it both directions a few times seems to clean it up and make it more responsive.
Old September 2nd 20, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 16:29:32 UTC+3, wrote:
I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.
Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.

We have a big pile of them, all garbage.
Old September 2nd 20, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 7:27:38 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 16:29:32 UTC+3, wrote:
I have installed many used units with no long term issues seen.
Me too. No problems with the six I have installed.

We have a big pile of them, all garbage.

Surely not "all garbage"? Maybe some units had problems? The 4201 in my glider has been soldiering on for many years. Last year I bought a spare one from Europe, it tested OK in a brief test. But most likely I will never need it.