Bailout and survival kit

Old May 9th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
... I carry in my flight wallet ... a credit card from one of my ex-wife's
accounts. I know if I use that card she will come find me wherever I am.

My wife was very impressed by this logic.
She wants to know, as you've written imprecisely:

Is that one of many cards from one of your ex-wives?
Or one of many cards of a specific ex-wife?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old May 10th 20, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 1:39:09 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 12:06:08 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 11:30:07 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 6:09:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I attended Dave Nadler's presentation at the 2020 SSA Convention about his bailout in Utah and its aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0&t=3s

It got me thinking about my own preparedness, and I have to admit that I am not carrying enough on my person if I ever "have to go for help." (As our ex-Air Force airport manager describes a bailout.)

I've been thinking about fishing/photographers vests with a lot of pockets, but the parachute and seat belt harness straps interfere with comfort and safety. Small kits like the SMAK PAK are a good start, but I'd like to carry more stuff, like a hat, spare glasses, water etc. I am thinking of an Air Force type flight suit with leg pockets, at the risk of being called a fighter jock wannabe.

Possibly a thin pocketed backpack that could fit between the 'chute and your body, if it could be made comfortable and not interfere with the seating position in the glider would work. But what to put in it and how to you pack it to avoid lumps and stuff digging into your kidneys?

Any ideas or suggestions? What works for you?

At one point in time I was a paid mountain climbing guide, just by way of qualifications. The biggest mistake I see so many pilots making is not dress for egress. I was at a Nephi camp (lots of rough remote terrain), yet I saw many flying in cotton short-sleeve shirt and shorts! Sheesh, that is like telling Mother Nature "you are good, but I am better. Let me spot you half the points you need to wipe me off the planet." I wear Musto sailing pants (with very flat cargo pockets designed to be opened while sitting).. I wear a long sleeve sun hoodie and I wear a paracord bracelet(multi-function with lots of goodies) on each wrist. If I am down without a glider and the wind rain starts I can at least use some handy paracord to tie shut my pants bottoms and shirt sleeve cuffs, fill both pants and shirt with leaves, sand, dirt rocks, for added insulation. I also carry on my body multiple forms of starting a fire from several lighters, and a combo flint stick multi-tool around my neck (inside shirt) with paracord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3PLXJ7DC&psc=1
I also have a smack pack with survival medical gear, qwick clot, water purification tabs, fire, tourniquet out of paracord with a sliding locker....et. I am not confident the smack pack would stay on while trashing about trying to over come g-forces, so I have a Mylar blanket in a pants cargo pocket with two small packs of water.
I have had an unplanned land out at dusk once, not in a glider but another type of aircraft. Had the evening to think about the errors of my survival kit. Staying warm and dryish, can be the difference between giving up or not. Stay safe boys and gals!

The combo tool I wear around neck is considerably smaller than the one in the link above, but made by same company. The paracord bracelets I wear are by Wazoo (looks like they do not make anymore, but one of my bracelets has a wire saw woven into the paracord). I also carry several simple metal (very old style) lighters of kerosene fuel, wick and flint. This is a metal container that looks kind like a quail egg, it screws completely air tight. I check the kerosene level every year and test fire. I carry several of these on person and in smack pack. Wazoo does make a handy Firestarter business card that I carry in my flight wallet along with a credit card from one of my ex-wife's accounts. I know if I use that card she will come find me wherever I am.

Instead of a knife consider a Leatherman. It's several quality tools in one. GPS is nice, but you don't always get reception; I have never seen Earth's magnetic field quit. If you don't know how to navigate by compass, how did you ever become a pilot? Oh, I forgot - the FAA doesn't require cross-country training for glider pilots. So, IF you are going to fly cross-country (why else would you need a survival kit?) learn how to navigate by ALL means at your disposal. Quick, what side of the tree does moss grow on?

Tom

That is north and mostly kind of. Down under south, mostly kind of.
Old May 10th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 2:57:17 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
... I carry in my flight wallet ... a credit card from one of my ex-wife's
accounts. I know if I use that card she will come find me wherever I am.

My wife was very impressed by this logic.
She wants to know, as you've written imprecisely:

Is that one of many cards from one of your ex-wives?
Or one of many cards of a specific ex-wife?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Dave, pardon to your wife for my writing. Perhaps too many meds or most likely typing on phone while flying Condor2. One card from one ex-wife. But if anyone wants to send me a card from their ex-wife I will be happy to use it in your name.
Old May 10th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

[...]

Tom for my kit I thought a Leatherman was too heavy without enough of the functionality of purpose I wanted, kind of like a motor glider (kidding). So I chose a folding knife with half serrated and half straightedge. I wanted a knife I could open one handed and was light but strong. The butt end of knife has a thingy to break glass or put a serious knot in someone's head.
Old May 10th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 8:03:44 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Dave, pardon to your wife for my writing. Perhaps too many meds
or most likely typing on phone while flying Condor2.
One card from one ex-wife. But if anyone wants to send me a card
from their ex-wife I will be happy to use it in your name.

Reminds me...
Ryszard, why is your wife's credit card in your toolbox?
Well, she'll never look in there, will she?
Old May 10th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

Being Swiss I always had this on my Belt when flying my gliders.

https://tinyurl.com/y9vmg7zp

Toothpicks and combs absolute essentials!

Muttley
Old May 10th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Toothpicks and combs absolute essentials!

Never thought of those as essential survival items.

What's the theory?

Being presentable might increase your chance of hitchhiking out?

Maybe I need to go add something to my kit.
Old May 11th 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've been an admirer (and owner) of Victorinox Swiss Army knives since I got my first one at the age of ten from a really cool uncle. The original multi-tool was the envy of all my buddies.

Nowadays, the comb is pretty much superfluous to my needs, but I have appreciated the wine corkscrew many times. Now THERE'S an essential landout assistance device. Mostly in Europe, but it adds a bit of culture to the desert southwest of America, where innovative uses of seat belts, door latches, pliers, knife blades and even teeth are utilized to open beer bottles.

Old May 11th 20, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

I second the knife with the little glass breaker nipple on it. As resident manager of a “treller park” in North Carolina, my brother carried one of these and demonstrated it to me one day when I was visiting. One of the residents of the park, an excitable fellow highly reminiscent of Earnest T. Bass, clad in jeans (just jeans, no shirt, socks, or shoes) presented himself at my brothers door. The fellow had worked himself into a lather, possibly with the help of alcohol and various controlled substances, over some personal affront that he blamed on my brother. Electricity cut off for nonpayment or something like that. The agitated gentleman was making an uncomfortable scene on my brother’s mobile home steps. My brother very nonchalantly opened the screen door, reached out and tapped the protesting fellow right on the crown of his head with the glass breaker on his pocket knife. Just a little tap, but the methamphetamine afflicted gent went down as if struck by lightning. So, I have to conclude that a knife so equipped can be quite useful for resolving certain unpleasant encounters.
Old May 11th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Reminds me of one of the great Gary Larson "Far Side" comics that showed some prehistoric cavemen looking at a downed mastodon with one spear sticking out of it. One says to the other caveman, "We should probably write down that spot."

Nadler Arcus Bailout BG[_4_] Soaring 14 February 15th 21 05:21 AM
WTB Used airforce type bailout bottle. Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 9 November 20th 15 06:19 PM
Any details on the Uvalde mid-air / bailout? Gary Emerson Soaring 19 August 19th 08 06:06 AM
Military bailout bottle refill [email protected] Soaring 3 June 30th 06 05:59 PM
First Survivor of a T-28 Bailout? Yofuri Naval Aviation 6 September 10th 04 06:02 AM