A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bailout and survival kit

Old May 11th 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 5:01:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
David- Excellent suggestions! However, you forgot to mention something important. How about toilet paper? Not absolutely necessary, but having some might make you feel like you are a little closer to civilization. And now that the "BIG RUSH" on supplies has calmed down, you might even be able to find some in the store.

I bring a couple feet of TP on most trips, but I don't keep any in my soaring kit because I find that it doesn't last so long; it turns into toilet paper crumbs before the end of the season. You can definitely carry some, but you might want to replace it from time to time.
Old May 11th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You can definitely carry some, but you might want to replace it from time to time.

Well, it's not exactly meant to be reused. I pack as much as I think I will need, add a safety factor, double that and then vacuum bag it. This might not be the best place for a product recommendation, but a Foodsaver vacuum bagger can maintain the viability and longevity of a number of space critical survival supplies. Don't forget the survival knife, as even a mountain lion would have a hard time opening a Foodsaver bag without chewing it into shreds.

PS. Open the bag before you need it! Ask me how I know this. (Well, don't ask. Just use your imagination. {Well, don't do that either. Just trust me.})

Old May 11th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 4:28:52 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Toothpicks and combs absolute essentials!

Never thought of those as essential survival items.

What's the theory?

Being presentable might increase your chance of hitchhiking out?

Maybe I need to go add something to my kit.

It is for the feel good factor, or may be a bit of a joke!
Old May 11th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dyintolaughagain
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:36:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You can definitely carry some, but you might want to replace it from time to time.

Well, it's not exactly meant to be reused. I pack as much as I think I will need, add a safety factor, double that and then vacuum bag it. This might not be the best place for a product recommendation, but a Foodsaver vacuum bagger can maintain the viability and longevity of a number of space critical survival supplies. Don't forget the survival knife, as even a mountain lion would have a hard time opening a Foodsaver bag without chewing it into shreds.

PS. Open the bag before you need it! Ask me how I know this. (Well, don't ask. Just use your imagination. {Well, don't do that either. Just trust me..})

Markm; You're not only a talented engineer, but a comedian as well! How about assembling a list of your best one-liners to keep us in good humor?
Old May 11th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 11 May 2020 13:28:35 UTC-6, Dyintolaughagain wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:36:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:

PS. Open the bag before you need it! Ask me how I know this. (Well, don't ask. Just use your imagination. {Well, don't do that either. Just trust me.})

Markm; You're not only a talented engineer, but a comedian as well! How about assembling a list of your best one-liners to keep us in good humor?

Be careful what you ask for!
Old May 12th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Look at it this way:

What will kill me the fastest:
1. Severe injury (might bleed out in minutes)
2. Exposure (cold water/weather: hypothermia minutes to hours)
3. Dehydration (a day or so in a hot desert, not a factor in a wet place even if the water is "undrinkable")
4. Starvation (we all hope we a never stranded this long!)

Now, Are you with your ship?
1. Landout. Yea, lots of stuff here! (Or there should be) Well, maybe. Did you landout in a very bad way? See #1 above)
2. Bailed out? Maybe or maybe not (assuming you did not break your legs landing in the rocks and can reach it.

So what is REALLY important to have on your body?
1. A method to signal (A PLB is my choice, DUCT TAPED to your body! I want the full force of all my tax dollars coming to get me) And this is in addition to the ELT in the glider. Give S&R multiple reasons to come play in the woods)

1. (Yes A second #1) A good whistle (Fox 40). Yelling just does not travel far. A good whistle will not be missed by S&R. And someplace you can get to it while hanging in your chute in a 100 ft tree. Mine is tied to my chute harness and tucked into the riser covers.

2. A basic severe trauma kit (i.e. tourniquet and strong narcotic pain killers)

3. Some basic shelter: chute+mylar/polycro (window film at big box store, strong, light, small, cheap) will protect you from wind/rain

4. A way to start a BIG fire. Really. Burn the forest down. S&R is too slow (Sorry S&R guys, you do some amazing work, but often you have no idea of where the victim is). Start a big fire and the WILL showup to investigate/extinguish it. Yea, a bit extreme, but keep it as an option. Oh, and can you actually start a fire (a small one to keep warm) if you had to? If you are not absolutely sure you can in really crappy weather, now is the time figure it out. A BIC lighter will be really nice to have as will #5 below)

5. Bonus: A knife (small folder, geeze, no fixed blades to stab you in the crash). BTW: this is in addition to the HOOK KNIFE ON YOUR CHUTE unless you like the ride for life across the Nevada desert behind you chute you cannot collapse in 40 KT winds.

My 2 Cents worth.
Old May 12th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 3:39:09 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Quick, what side of the tree does moss grow on?

Tom

===========================

It depends.

North if north of the equator.
South if south of the equator.
Either way nearby the equator (depends on the time of the year)
Old May 12th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 10:19:38 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 3:39:09 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Quick, what side of the tree does moss grow on?

Tom

===========================

It depends.

North if north of the equator.
South if south of the equator.
Either way nearby the equator (depends on the time of the year)

It also depends on local shade in that spot in the forrest. Moss likes wet..
Old May 12th 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Here's why I don't recommend a compass:

1) Most people have no idea how to properly navigate in the backcountry by compass. You need to know how to shoot bearings, triangulate, understand contour lines, measure distance, etc. Without prior orienteering experience, a compass isn't very useful.

2) A compass should really be used with a particular type of map, such as a USG map with 1:24000 scale and 100ft contour lines. You'll also want a pencil and an altimeter is very helpful too. Given the possible range of soaring flights, you'd need to carr a bunch of maps in your bailout kit. Then, you'd need to change out your map collection whenever you fly at a new location.

3) Even if you have the necessary maps and skills, GPS works sooooooo much better than a mechanical compass.

4) I'm pretty well covered by my other devices. In fact, my Garmin InReach has a compass. Even without GPS signal, it provides a working compass, barometric altimeter, and topo maps. My phone also has GPS, compass, and topo maps. I also have an inclinometer app that I use to evaluate avalanche risk. Don't feel comfortable with only two navigation devices? Get a Garmin watch!

Anyways, my advice is to have at least two navigation devices. These should be fast, accurate, and easy to use, which rules out a magnetic compass for most people.

Old May 12th 20, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

If you would like some added perspective on these topics, tune in he

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...0?source=r.a.s.

It begins at 7pm cdt , in about an hour and a half. Free.
Good for Wings Program credit if you use same email account for faa and this registration.

Some recounts from folks who've done this stuff for real, landout, hostile place, S&R involved.

Or, login, listen, and post all your gripes about it back here later. Your choice.

Cindy B