Parachute Static Line?

Old June 14th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dee[_2_]

Default Parachute Static Line?

There was a question posed on parachute static lines from a previous thread that I don't think was addressed. How do you configure one? How long and strong a cable and what kind of clips to use? Some cockpits have an attachment ring for this purpose, but where do you clip it for those that don't?

Original Post: "Any comments on static lines?
My S-H glider has an in cockpit attachment point for a static line.
I am interested in comments on bailing out in am emergency.
Not as interested in the captain obvious comments like "you could accidentally open your chute after a normal landing getting out of your glider". That is implicit and obvious.Thoughts on actual emergency bailouts, static line versus regular D handle?"
Old June 15th 20, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

That was my question.
The general advice I received was to ask a qualified rigger.

I am still very interested in doing a static line conversion to my parachute, just have not had the time to follow up on it.

Further information is of course appreciated.
Old June 16th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Dutch

On Sunday, June 14, 2020 at 2:28:39 PM UTC-5, Dee wrote:
There was a question posed on parachute static lines from a previous thread that I don't think was addressed. How do you configure one? How long and strong a cable and what kind of clips to use? Some cockpits have an attachment ring for this purpose, but where do you clip it for those that don't?

Original Post: "Any comments on static lines?
My S-H glider has an in cockpit attachment point for a static line.
I am interested in comments on bailing out in am emergency.
Not as interested in the captain obvious comments like "you could accidentally open your chute after a normal landing getting out of your glider". That is implicit and obvious.Thoughts on actual emergency bailouts, static line versus regular D handle?"

After Dave Nadler’s presentation at the Little Rock SSA convention I asked for the same advice you’re looking for. His response was very emphatically that a qualified parachute rigger is the only one who should install the line. He said I should take a picture of the attach point in the glider, and have the rigger install the static line per your parachute’s requirements. I suspect he’d be willing to post his reply with the points he made to me.
Old June 16th 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

I've used static lines for 40 years that connect the D ring on the parachute to the factory provided connection in the ship. Could make a difference if you bang your head going out or can't find the D ring (happened to me once sky diving).

The idea came from flying fighters in the 60's and 70's that had what was called a "zero delay lanyard" that connected the D ring on the chute to the ejection seat. This lanyard was connected before take off and removed above a couple thousand feet, and then reconnected before landing. You didn't want the chute opening immediately at high altitude or high air speeds.

The length of mine is half a wing span, with the nylon strapping layered together and contained by rubber bands. See pics at:
http://karlstriedieck.com/Parachute_Lanyard.pdf

Make sure the tube your D ring cable runs through is securely sewn to the harness so that an out-of-alignment yank by the lanyard doesn't rip it loose..

Karl Striedieck karls at uplink.net

Old June 17th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The idea came from flying fighters in the 60's and 70's that had what was called a "zero delay lanyard" that connected the D ring on the chute to the ejection seat. This lanyard was connected before take off and removed above a couple thousand feet, and then reconnected before landing. You didn't want the chute opening immediately at high altitude or high air speeds.

You probably wanted to disconnect it AFTER landing also, lest your immediate charge off the flight line in search of a beer render you a victim of unintended cross-country excursions on a windy day.
Old June 17th 20, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Karl Striedieck karls at uplink.net

At last, very helpful! Thank you KS.
Dee
Old June 17th 20, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kx-buGUOhw

I love the way he just kept pontificating as the chute slowly filled, and then when he "helped" it along. Lucky he was in a nice grassy English field. In New Mexico or Arizona, he would be looking for Band-Aids and tweezers. Or maybe Vise-Grips.

Old June 17th 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 7:19:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kx-buGUOhw

Thanks, that was a delightful morning wakeup.

His chest strap had a quick release that didn't look all that quick when he needed it.

When I bought my Softe, Allen suggested a normal buckle with the tail looped back on itself for quick release. Wonder if that works better?
Old June 17th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mercredi 17 juin 2020 15:36:07 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 7:19:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:

When I bought my Softe, Allen suggested a normal buckle with the tail looped back on itself for quick release. Wonder if that works better?

I think that's actually a brilliant idea.

CASA C-212 Aviocar pics 3 [5/5] - USASOAC C-212 conducting static-line parachute operations.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 26th 18 03:02 PM
Chutes - manual or static line (automatic)? [email protected] Soaring 3 May 3rd 12 02:25 PM
Static Line Parachutes GM Soaring 4 January 14th 08 12:08 AM
Sharing static and pitot line Istvan Csonka Soaring 13 March 12th 05 03:00 AM
Getting students to line up with the center line BoDEAN Piloting 27 April 21st 04 11:23 AM