Military bailout bottle refill

Old June 30th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Military bailout bottle refill

I have a military bailout bottle, and the bottle is empty. It appears
that the lanyard has been pulled. I do not know anything about these
bottles, but it looks like there is some sort of "valve" or a one use
plug in the hose that the lanyard actually breaks or ???? Are these
worth refilling, and where could this be done? It is in excellent
shape.

Thanks!

Old June 30th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Depending on if it's old or REALLY old, the small bail-out bottles
don't need to be hydro'ed (unlike the big bottles).

The one I have uses a slotted collet (like a slotted screw head, but
larger) to close the valve after the lanyard is pulled (letting out ALL
the oxygen...pretty quickly, I might add). If yours is older, it may
have a significantly different valve. I believe mine came off of a
B-1B bomber.

For a replacement bottle, see:
http://www.aviationhelmets.com/bailout.htm

The place I used to fill mine would sometimes charge me the same to
fill this tiny bottle as they would a full size ("E") bottle.

You'll likely need a pressure breathing mask to hook to it...

When I fly wave, I use this setup, and so does Bob "Chuckar" Spielman.

It's really not useful for anything but an emergency descent (either
full spoiler/redline descent, or descent using the silk of a
parachute). On the order of 10 minutes of pressure breathing (you have
to force to EX-hale).

Chuckar once did a flight test to see if he could descend his 1-26 from
25,000 feet to 10,000 feet in the time his bailout would last for.

You might try an Air Products or oxygen filling service. Being in
SoCal, I tend to go to AirSource, in Long Beach on Cherry avenue, about
200 yards off the departure end of LGB Runway 30. Mmmmm, beautiful
noise!

-Pete

Old June 30th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_1_]

If anyone is interested, I have an old one of these, and would entertain any
reasonble offer. It still has O2 in it, as I never had to use it.

Al G

oups.com...

Old June 30th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Pulling the green "apple" shears off a small diameter tube that has a
closed end. The tube acts as a metering orifice as the bottle
empties. They are intended to feed pressure demand masks after the
mask has been disconnected from the regulator. There is a valve that
closes the end of the mask hose.

I've had one of these on the shelf since I visited the chamber at
Edwards about 25 years ago. If I had ever used it I intended to unscrew
the complete assembly from the bottle and replace it with a reusable
valve. I'd guess it could give a useful duration if connected to an
EDS system.

Mine is still full and likely to stay that way.

Andy