Monday evening t'storm arrives at OSH

Old July 28th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Monday evening t'storm arrives at OSH

http://tinyurl.com/qhlsh

My tent stayed dry; my buddy Jerry's didn't. He spent half the night in the
airplane (the next night, too).

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 29th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ronald Gardner

I wondered how all you campers made out! We left part way through the Beach
Boys concert when the Lightning started to flash to the north. Was my 1st visit
and we stayed at a hotel South of OSH and drove in. (wife along)! Hope to
return and fly in next time and camp.

I walked miles on Monday till my legs hurt. You really need 3 days minimum to
see all with out pain.

Anyone know, was that a "John Travolta" jet setting out with the fighters on the
taxi way Monday? Had Capt. J. Travolta on the left side and another name on the
right under the canopy. I am not sure, but think it was an old Vampire.

Ron Gardner

Old July 29th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

My tent stayed dry; my buddy Jerry's didn't. He spent half the night in the
airplane (the next night, too).

Wow, those are some impressive clouds there. Thanks for the pictures.

--
Peter
Old July 29th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/qhlsh

My tent stayed dry; my buddy Jerry's didn't. He spent half the night in

the
airplane (the next night, too).

Nice!

It seems like there is almost always at least one BIG rain during the week.

For those people whose tents do not stay dry, I have found a couple things
to mitigate the "damage."

Have something that you can put your clothes up on, off the floor, like an
old hard side suitcase, or Tupperware container.

Use an inflated air mattress. That keeps you and your bag out of the water,
sloshing in the low corner of the floor.

Usually, it is just a small leak, but it only takes a small leak and a big
storm, and soon you have a half gallon of water to make the "wrong" things
wet, and unbearable.

You know, we really need to get a FAQ Oshkosh list together, before next
year is here - all too quickly.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 30th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/qhlsh

My tent stayed dry; my buddy Jerry's didn't. He spent half the night in the
airplane (the next night, too).

I recall riding out a wild thunderstorm in a tent years ago. I managed
to stay mostly dry.
In the morning I walked to the showers, and right next to them sat an
airplane (Mooney, IIRC) in the middle of a small lake. Those
unfortunate folks had picked a low spot to park and camp in. The
remains of their tent rose slightly above the surface. The people were
sitting in the airplane. They didn't look happy.

David Johnson

Old July 30th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

It seems like there is almost always at least one BIG rain during the
week.

For those people whose tents do not stay dry, I have found a couple
things to mitigate the "damage."

Have something that you can put your clothes up on, off the floor,
like an old hard side suitcase, or Tupperware container.

Use an inflated air mattress. That keeps you and your bag out of the
water, sloshing in the low corner of the floor.

Agreed. I had a big Coleman mattress and I stayed dry and comfortable,
but after 3 days of rain, the stuff on the floor was getting damp.

Usually, it is just a small leak, but it only takes a small leak and a
big storm, and soon you have a half gallon of water to make the
"wrong" things wet, and unbearable.

Another suggestion (although just a theory at this point!) is to make
sure your plastic ground cloth doesn't extend beyond the edge of the
tent. The sod at OSH absorbs a heck of a lot of rain, but I think my
problem was the plastic cloth trapping some rain rolling off the tent and
then holding it under the tent instead of letting it soak in.

We left Thursday morning, and it didn't rain Wednesday night, but
everything was just incredibly wet from all the condensation. They really
know how to do humidity in Wisconsin!

Mike

Old July 31st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

We had another big downpour on sunday the 30th. The folks in back of us
in camp scholler had this big tarp under their interconnected tents. You
coul see the water accumulating on the tarp...and not too much later,
you could hear them complaining about the water in their tent!

(we use a pop-up camper...nice and dry!)

Old July 31st 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We had another big downpour on sunday the 30th.

Yep, it really, REALLY came down this morning, ruining our plans for an
early departure. I'll post some awesome pictures of the gust front
approaching. (It reportededly flipped one plane onto two other planes,
in nearby Appleton.)

We were inside the tent when it hit, holding the windward side up with
our feet. Despite this, the 6-foot tall tent collapsed far enough to
hit me in the head with the lantern hanging from the center hook -- and
I was laying down!

No further damage, but our neighbors had poles sticking right through
the top of their tent!

A wild end to a great week...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Yep, it really, REALLY came down this morning, ruining our plans for an
early departure. I'll post some awesome pictures of the gust front
approaching.

Lots of red on that 496 wasn't there? :-))
Old July 31st 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"john smith" wrote in message
: In article .com,
: "Jay Honeck" wrote:
:
: Yep, it really, REALLY came down this morning, ruining our plans for an
: early departure. I'll post some awesome pictures of the gust front
: approaching.
:
: Lots of red on that 496 wasn't there? :-))

Does that mean that Jay bought a 496? ;-)