G102 spigot AD??? What's the status...

Old August 16th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default G102 spigot AD??? What's the status...

I heard an AD was being considered for the wing spigots on the Grob 102s
(US version AD). Any definite info on where this is headed and when?

Thanks,

Gary
Old August 16th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Aug 15, 8:23*pm, Gary Emerson wrote:
I heard an AD was being considered for the wing spigots on the Grob 102s
(US version AD). *Any definite info on where this is headed and when?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

It is still stuck in the bureaucracy, I anticipate it being issued
when the FAA has the time to get to the low-priority items. I went
ahead and had the work done by XU aviation in Ontario.

Todd Smith
Old August 19th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Gary Emerson wrote:
I heard an AD was being considered for the wing spigots on the Grob 102s
(US version AD). Any definite info on where this is headed and when?

Thanks,

Gary

Does anyone know where a copy of the service bulletin from grob might be
found online? I googled this quite a bit, but so far no luck coming up
with the actual document. Even the Grob website doesn't list the SB...
Old August 19th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

http://www.grob-aerospace.com/servic...ort/g-102.html

Old August 19th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Gary Emerson wrote:
I heard an AD was being considered for the wing spigots on the Grob 102s
(US version AD). Any definite info on where this is headed and when?
Thanks,
Gary

Does anyone know where a copy of the service bulletin from grob might be
found online? I googled this quite a bit, but so far no luck coming up
with the actual document. Even the Grob website doesn't list the SB...

http://www.grob-aerospace.com/servic...ort/g-102.html

Right, there is a master list, but on the left side SB 306-29 is NOT
shown unfortunately.
Old August 19th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

If you go to this page your question will be answered

http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/tec...urers/grob.pdf

AD 91-5/2, SB 306-29 issued in 8/91. This should have been completed 17
years ago, I can't believe the FAA is that slow.

Old August 19th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_1_]

"Don Johnstone" wrote in message
If you go to this page your question will be answered

http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/tec...urers/grob.pdf

AD 91-5/2, SB 306-29 issued in 8/91. This should have been completed 17
years ago, I can't believe the FAA is that slow.

It is interesting to note that there have been no SDRs or incidents related
to problems with the spar spigots on G-102s in the US despite the fact that
the AD did not include the G-102 when it was issued for the G-103. This
would seem to indicate that whatever the issue was that prompted the SB to
be issued originally is likely not a problem in the G-102.

I was also surprised at the relative lack of response to the NPRM when it
was first issued last year. I would have thought that just about every
G-102 owner in the US would have responded suggesting that a more sensible
approach to the AD would be an annual inspection of the part with
replacement required if any defect was found, as opposed to the proposed AD
which will require outright replacement regardless of the condition of the
existing part. This is a major and expensive repair that is probably worse
than the problem it proposes to address considering how remote the
possibility of having a problem appears to be based on history.

Old August 19th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I was also surprised at the relative lack of response to the
NPRM when it was first issued last year...

I'm a bit surprised as well. I rather wonder if the wording of the
thing might have something to do with it: "Replace the spar spigots?
How hard can that be. I'll order them, they'll come in a box. I'll
have my A&P unscrew the old ones, screw in the new ones, and be on my
way!"

In actuality, if the 102 is anything like the 103, replacing the
spigots is fairly major surgery requiring special tools and
techniques. It involves cutting away some relatively massive chunks of
fiberglass at the end of the spar stub and digging out the steel pin
and its attachment to the plywood shear web reinforcement. Then you
can replace that portion of shear web, use a special fixture to locate
and install the new steel pin and its mounting flange, and apply about
8 layers of bias fiberglass over the whole spar end.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 19th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Aug 19, 2:06*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

you might have to join the group. I promise to approve quickly. But
the actual instructions are not included in the AD, it's exactly as
Bob described above.

I created the yahoo group to try and communicate with Grob owners and
rally support, we did have limited success in getting owners to
comment on the NPRM. Now we are just waiting to find out what the
friendly fed decides. I went ahead and had it done, cost was $4000
US.

Todd Smith
Grob 102 Std III, 3S
Old August 19th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Gary Emerson wrote:
I heard an AD was being considered for the wing spigots on the Grob

102s
(US version AD). Any definite info on where this is headed and

when?
Thanks,
Gary
Does anyone know where a copy of the service bulletin from grob might

be
found online? I googled this quite a bit, but so far no luck coming

up
with the actual document. Even the Grob website doesn't list the

SB...
http://www.grob-aerospace.com/servic...ort/g-102.html

Right, there is a master list, but on the left side SB 306-29 is NOT
shown unfortunately.

Unless I'm missing something - the link at the top does NOT appear to
provide any details of what exactly is involved with the AD. I'm
looking for the Service Bulletin which describes (hopefully with some
pictures or sketches) the repair.

Grob G102 Astir Spar Spigot Assembly AD NPRM BDS Soaring 4 August 30th 07 04:13 PM
Grob G102 Setup BDS Soaring 11 August 30th 05 03:42 PM
Wheel Brake on G102 Ken Pruchnick Soaring 4 March 2nd 05 07:01 AM