XC Soar map help needed

Old June 8th 11, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Default XC Soar map help needed

Grider Pirate wrote:
Okay, now I'm confused too. I used the link above, and downloaded the
map for Truckee. I extracted all the files from the zipped folder,
and then searched for a file with an xcm extension, but found none.

XCM files are technically ZIP files, but they should not be extracted.
The "zipped folder" you mean is the XCM file.
Old June 8th 11, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ken Latam wrote:
I am running an Ipaq 2215 on windows pocket pc 2003. XC Soar and the
cabinet file were downloaded to my PC then copied to the Ipaq in the
start up directory.

That answers only half of my questions. I cannot help you until I
have all the information.

I did have XC Soar ver 6.0 but have changed to ver 6.1. Tho I
liked ver 6.0 better. in 6.1 I need to redo ALL the info every time the
program is started.

I do not understand. What exactly do you have to redo, and why do you
think you have to redo it?
Old June 8th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

Double tap the "config" box goes to "setup system" where the input data
for all 21 page's are returned to default mode .

Page #1 is site files (map database,waywoint's) etc. It also default's
to the LS 8 Polar which is a bit of a challenge for my Skylark 4 to match.

I am getting very frustrated with this piece of teck crap(the PDA). If
it's not sorted out soon its getting punted and I will stick with the
good old VFR map and compass(they have allways worked).

Ken

Old June 8th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jun 7, 10:43*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Grider Pirate wrote:
Okay, now I'm confused too. *I used the link above, and downloaded the
map for Truckee. *I extracted all the files from the zipped folder,
and then searched for a file with an xcm extension, but found none.

XCM files are technically ZIP files, but they should not be extracted.
The "zipped folder" you mean is the XCM file.

Thanks Max. I ended up using the Map Generator and providing my
waypoint file. Works fine!
BTW, thanks for all the work you and the others on the XCSoar team do.
Old June 8th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ken Latam wrote:
Double tap the "config" box goes to "setup system" where the input data
for all 21 page's are returned to default mode .

Page #1 is site files (map database,waywoint's) etc. It also default's
to the LS 8 Polar which is a bit of a challenge for my Skylark 4 to match.

I am getting very frustrated with this piece of teck crap(the PDA). If
it's not sorted out soon its getting punted and I will stick with the
good old VFR map and compass(they have allways worked).

Let me repeat the questions which you did not answer yet, which I need
answered before I can help you further:

Did you copy the .XCM file to the XCSoarData folder? Where did you
copy the other data files?
Old June 8th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

I have a copy of the XC Soar files(XC Soar and the cabinet files,and map)on
the SD card in the XC Soar Data directory as you sugested(waist of time as
the Ipaq can't see the SD card) and a copy of both file's on the Ipaq
windows "start up directory" where I can at least see the program and
work with it a little bit.

If the XC Soar program must run from the SD card then I am at a dead end
till a solution for the SD card issue is found.

I like very much what I have seen of XC Soar, but WHY WHY would they build
a device with an SD and CF slot that the device can't detect.

Ken

Old June 8th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ken Latam wrote:
I have a copy of the XC Soar files(XC Soar and the cabinet files,and map)on
the SD card in the XC Soar Data directory as you sugested(waist of time as
the Ipaq can't see the SD card) and a copy of both file's on the Ipaq
windows "start up directory" where I can at least see the program and
work with it a little bit.

XCSoar doesn't look for data files in the "start up directory". And
of course it can't load data files from a SD card that doesn't work in
your iPaq.

If the XC Soar program must run from the SD card then I am at a dead end
till a solution for the SD card issue is found.

No, you can choose whether to store the data files on the SD card (in
XCSoarData), or on the internal memory (usually "/My
Documents/XCSoarData"). When XCSoarData exists on any SD card, XCSoar
always uses this location. If not, then the one on "My Documents" is
used. The XCSoarData directory is created automatically by XCSoar on
the first start.

Both choices have downsides: old iPaqs are extremely slow at accessing
the SD card. Internal memory is lost after each reboot, and internal
memory decreases the amount of RAM available for XCSoar, and XCSoar
may run out of memory in the middle of a flight.

I like very much what I have seen of XC Soar, but WHY WHY would they build
a device with an SD and CF slot that the device can't detect.

Just to be su did you insert a SDHC card? Old iPaqs can't read
SDHC. Which filesystem did you use on the card? iPaqs can only read
FAT/VFAT, but not NTFS, for example.

My personal recommendation is to throw away all the ancient kludgy and
buggy Windows CE crap and buy a modern Android device such as the Dell
Streak. It's down to 239 EUR over here in Germany.

Max
Old June 8th 11, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:50:12 +0000, Max Kellermann wrote:

My personal recommendation is to throw away all the ancient kludgy and
buggy Windows CE crap and buy a modern Android device such as the Dell
Streak. It's down to 239 EUR over here in Germany.

Max, I know you don't like WinMobile any more than I do, but if the OP
wants to experiment for less money, Amazon are selling the Binatone
Carrera X350 for 64 squids including a 2GB SD card or the B.350 for 70
quid without SD card. I'm using the B.350 and, apart from the usual
problem shared by all PNAs (a backlit screen competing with sunlight in
the cockpit) it works well and takes up a lot less panel space than an
iPAQ. The stuff he

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/pna/xcsoar.html

should get the OP up and running on a Binatone or several other PNAs.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 8th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Burghall

In my experience Windows CE regularly "loses" the SD card and only
resetting (gently poke the stylus into the reset switch hole on the side
of the iPaq) allows it to find the card again. You can then copy files
from SD card to the main memory or "iPaq file store".

Then when the card is "lost" you are still in business.

Roger

Old June 9th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

Thanks Max. But still a no-go. XC Soar is located in "my documents/XC Soar
Data" folder. It still cannot find the map file's and I must redo all the
pilot details,Pilot name,aircraft,GPS com port, polar,units(I run the
Australian system),etc each time the program is started. Of course I could
always just leave it on and never shut it off. Maybe hard on the battery
tho.

You are right in it may be better to ditch the old system for new
equipment. Something to look at for winter.

Ken

Fat boy wants to soar... toggles mcfarley Soaring 24 March 23rd 10 06:51 PM
XC-Soar [email protected] Soaring 4 January 26th 09 04:06 PM
Get out of the Cold and SOAR! Mike Schumann Soaring 4 January 22nd 09 06:03 AM
Instructor needed at Soar Minden [email protected] Soaring 2 May 21st 07 02:13 AM
why do you soar? Mark James Boyd Soaring 27 October 21st 03 07:48 PM