Downloading Flying Music?

Old January 27th 04, 03:18 AM
RobertR237

In article gers.com, "Doug"
writes:

I hate to break it to you , but downloading music is 'not' stealing ,
regardless of what spin they put on it. No one has ever been charged with
theft by the RIAA. What it is , is copyright infringement, and that is what
people 'are' being charged with.

Doug

By any name you want to apply to it, it is stealing.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old January 27th 04, 03:27 AM
Bob Fry

(DBlumel) writes:

A buck per song is not bad? Are you nuts? That is as much or more than you
would pay for a factory made cd, even more, when you consider the cost of
the blank data disk.

The only fair thing to do is rip off the music industry as bad as you can,
for overcharging us for music all these years.
--
Jim in NC

Sorry Jim, we live in a free market economy. If you don't want to buy because
the price is too high in your estimation, that's your choice. But you cannot
justify stealing because you think they charge too much.

Sure you can. I justify it for this reason:

"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
respective writings and discoveries;" US Constitution, Article I,
Section 8, Clause 8.

The US Congress passed a law which Clinton signed which extends
copyright for some works to nearly 100 years! Does that sound like
"limited times to authors"? Hell no! Congress some time ago ruined
the original intent of copyright and patents, and electronic
reproduction of text, images, and sound has made the whole notion even
more meaningless. Why is it that the little guy is forced to follow
some law which big corporations forced upon the populace; but those
big corporations don't have to follow the Constitution?

I'm for the original intent of the Constitution: authors of works
should enjoy exclusive right to their works for a limited time; then
they're up for grabs. Especially in today's rapid-paced, instantly
connected world--far different than 200+ years ago--"limited time"
should be something between 5 to 10 years for most works, probably
only 3 to 5 years for software.

Old January 27th 04, 04:03 AM
L.D.

CW9371 wrote:

Don't use Kazzaa,,,, they install spyware/adware on your system...

There is also bittorrent, but there u have to have some knowledge of computers.
Good for full albums. Emule and edonky work. Napster if u wanna pay, I tunes
and a few others for paying. If u decide to keep something u should buy it
however

Someone said "You're using something of value without paying for
it". when speaking of downloading music.

When I listen to music on my car radio, I am using something of value
and I'm not paying for it. Oh! shame on me. Now if I want to record it
on cassette, 8 track, CD, or even get my note pad out and write it down
to read and hum along later, that is my business. Next they are going to
tell me if I loan my hammer to someone, he or me will have to pay for it
again because he is using something of value without paying for it. I
know a hammer isn't a song but is is still "something of value".

Old January 27th 04, 04:06 AM
Doug

Not quite...........what you describe with the airplane analogy is indeed
theft, no question about it. What downloading music is like, is I go to the
airport and make a copy of your airplane and take it for a spin. At no time
was your airplane unavailable for your use.

Doug

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

I'll agree it's not "theft" in the legal sense, but I do agree that it's
"stealing." You're using something of value without paying for it. It's
like I slipped out to the airport and flew someone else's airplane without
permission. Even if I fill the tanks after I land, most people will
consider that I stole the airplane. Criminal charges would likely be for
something else, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Old January 27th 04, 04:07 AM
Doug

Uh , no it isn't theft....look it up

Doug

"DBlumel" wrote

Uh...., Copyright infringement is a very specific type of theft. Call a

"spade
a spade" lets not mince words here.

Old January 27th 04, 04:39 AM
Ross Oliver

Morgans wrote:
A buck per song is not bad? Are you nuts? That is as much or more than you
would pay for a factory made cd, even more, when you consider the cost of
the blank data disk.

I much prefer paying $0.99 for each song that I actually want, rather
than $18.00 for 1 song that I want and 11 that I don't.

Old January 27th 04, 05:55 AM
DBlumel

When I listen to music on my car radio, I am using something of value
and I'm not paying for it. Oh! shame on me.

The advertisers have paid for it for you. If you want to play the radio
stations or prerecorded music on your business music on hold system,
"rebroadcast" legally you must pay an annual fee to RIAA.

Now if I want to record it
on cassette, 8 track, CD, or even get my note pad out and write it down
to read and hum along later, that is my business. Next they are going to
tell me if I loan my hammer to someone, he or me will have to pay for it
again because he is using something of value without paying for it. I
know a hammer isn't a song but is is still "something of value".

Actually, its more like; you are a brilliant inventor and you just invented the
hammer, nothing else like it exists. You have a patent on it and you would like
to make a living from this new invention. You don't have the financial
resources to market or manufacture large quantities of hammers so you sell your
patent or provide a license to a large corporation who will pay you a royalty
for every hammer they sell on your and now also their behalf. For a while it
provided a good and steady income for you. You quit your old job as a factory
worker and are working full time to develop other great ideas. However the
money stream has slowed and you haven't got any of your other new ideas ready
and you might have to try to get your old job back. Many early customers have
bought one of your hammers used and liked them so much they have now made
identical molds from the originals and are now giving them away for free to
anyone and everyone they know. Your dream of a secure income is quickly fading.

Old January 27th 04, 07:36 AM
Richard Riley

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:41:25 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

:The cost of the blank data disk is trivial on a per-song basis. I casually
:collect LPs and tapes of old flying songs from the wars of the past
:century, and have been copying them to my hard disk and burning compilation
:CDs (gotta have SOMETHING to sing along with, on the way to the airport).
:I can generally cram at least twenty of these on a single CD.

You gotta get an MP3 disk player. 10 hours of music on a disk. Last
time I was at Fry's (perhaps the only place on earth more evil than
Cap'n Zoom's office) they had one for $24.

I'd also like to take a stab at defending peer-to-peer. Shortly
before my father died he asked me to find the lyrics to a song he'd
loved as a kid -Abdul Abulbul Amir. I found the lyrics with Google in
a few seconds, opened Kazzaa, and found copies of 6 different
performances of it, spanning 50 years. None would have been available
at any price through the "legit" market. The author has been dead for
80 years - and it was stolen from him when he wrote it, in the 1870's.
No one owns the rights to it. But without a robust P2P network, I
never would have found it.
Old January 27th 04, 08:53 AM
Mark Mallory

Jay Honeck wrote:

Unfortunately, the CD player is built-in to the panel, and is only a couple
of years old -- so I'm not looking to replace it.

Any recommendations on software that will convert MP3 files to something
that is playable on a "regular" CD player?

The .mp3 files need to be converted to .wav files in order to be saved on an
AUDIO CD (playable on a regular CD player.) Most every digital media player
(Winamp, Windows Media Player, ect.) has this capability, as well as the
capabliity to go in the other direction, ie, from .wav to .mp3. The conversion
is done by software and is a purely digital process.

You need to pre-convert, and save on your hard drive, all the .wav files you
want to put on the CD before you burn it. The conversion will take from a few
seconds to tens of seconds per track, depending on the speed of your processor.
The .wav files take up lots of space - about 10.6 megabytes per minute of
audio; roughly 10 times the space of a .mp3 - so you'll need about 800 MB free
hard disk space to fill up an entire CD-R (you'll probably want to delete the
..wav files afterwards.) The tracks on any one CD-R must all be laid down in one
burn operation; you can't do "incremental" burns where you burn several tracks,
stop, and come back later to burn more (actually you can, but most standard
players will only see the first set.)

As long as you've got an in-panel CD player and a PC with a CD burner, I
wouldn't bother with a portable MP3 player in the airplane. CD-R's are cheap
and don't take up much room, and it probably wouldn't take too many to hold all
your favorite tracks. With your MP3 collection on your hard drive, just burn
some new CDs when you get tired of the old ones.

Have fun (hope this helps...)

Mark/C182L

Old January 27th 04, 12:48 PM
Jay Honeck

Have fun (hope this helps...)

Thanks, Mark! It did....

Still haven't found a good solution for downloading, though. Soulseek is
obviously totally illegal, while ITunes is outrageously over-priced...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flying with music? caroline Aerobatics 0 September 18th 04 03:13 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 February 1st 04 07:27 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Home Built 0 December 12th 03 12:01 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Aerobatics 0 December 12th 03 12:00 AM
OT- beech starships still flying? patrick mitchel Home Built 6 November 30th 03 03:30 AM