We Are All Spaniards

Old March 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Doug Carter

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I saw accident figures for the U.S. back in the mid 70s. At that time, solar
power was the most dangerous power source in the country.

"Bat fatalities have recently become an issue in the wind
power industry because fatalities have been documented at
wind power sites where post-construction bird studies have
been conducted." From
http://www.currykerlinger.com/bats.htm.

No traces of radioactive bats though.
Old March 28th 04, 10:25 PM
Dan Luke

"Wdtabor" wrote:

I tend to agree that the chances of success are not good, but the
alternative is a nuclear exchange between our children and theirs
that will kill millions of Americans and HUNDREDS of millions
of Moslems.

A chillingly believable scenario. In Pakistan we are a heartbeat away
from a preview of that future. In the event of a coup there by
religionists, I believe we would have no alternative but immediate
attack.

There can be no lasting peace with Islamofascism if they join the
nuclear club. With the Soviets we faced a RATIONAL enemy with
no expectation of rewards after death. Mutually assured destruction
only works with people who want to succeed in this life and not the

next.

It is probable that the current leaders like Bin Laden and Zawahiri,
whom I believe are sincere fanatics, would be replaced by cynical
dictators, just as happened in Russia after the revolution. Perhaps
such characters would fear MAD. The question is, would the world survive
long enough to achieve that uneasy stability?

So I think giving cultural change the best chance of working we can is
a really good thing to do.

For once, Don, I agree with you right down the line. I just think we
started in the wrong place in Iraq.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 29th 04, 12:23 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Martin Hotze wrote:
And there's the rub - nuclear reactors, which the sheeple are so afraid
of! You can have the best, safest nuclear reactor design, that's
demonstrably less harmful by orders of magnitude than a coal-fired power
station, yet it'll never get built because people are too afraid.

and you, no, the next couple of generations, have to deal with the waste.

OK, so how many generations have to deal with coal waste? At least with
nuclear waste it can be put in one specific place. Coal waste, such as
mercury poisoning in fish, is global.

so we have to make it more efficient.
efficience allone is not enough. You only have one planet to destroy.

Exactly - and I believe that nuclear power is far less destructive than
coal/gas if done properly.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 29th 04, 05:10 AM
Rob Perkins

Martin Hotze wrote:

AFAIK, though, only Switzerland has a higher standard of living than
the U.S.,

in what respect?

Not sure. I only know that it's been put forth as such, so I assumed
it had to do with things like lifespan, percent of population at or
below the poverty level, and literacy rates. Stuff like that.

with many of the EU countries otherwise in a practical tie
for that honor.

I don't feel honored.

Then, with all respect due you, move to Congo. Don't forget to leave
your money behind, you don't have to leave it with me.

Rob
Old March 29th 04, 05:15 AM
Rob Perkins

Martin Hotze wrote:

Actually, they do, but they cordon it off for silly things like
farming and forestry. Imagine that.

What's silly about that in your opinion?

A response so obtuse that it didn't recognize the sarcasm inherent in
the statements?

'Course I could have added the smiley, but I forgot (quite
unintentionally) to do it.

Rob, who likes the way Europe manages its lands
Old March 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Rob Perkins

Martin Hotze wrote:

"S Green" wrote:

How many Americans register to vote and how many actually do? Democracy
means fig all when you are struggling to survive when others get fat through
abusing the democratic processes.

democracy is dictatorship of the majority.

Wow. You actually said something true, there, Martin.

Now have a look again at the U.S. Constitution and take your seat next
to Hamilton, becauase you're now in favor of the Electoral College
system that got Bush into office on a minority vote...

:-)

Rob
Old March 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rob Perkins" wrote in message

Now have a look again at the U.S. Constitution and take your seat next
to Hamilton, becauase you're now in favor of the Electoral College
system that got Bush into office on a minority vote...

Minority vote? Bush had a majority of the electoral vote, as is required by
the Constitution or the election goes to the House.

Old March 29th 04, 06:59 PM
Tony Cox

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:03:00 GMT, Tony Cox wrote:

That would be Kurt Waldheim, right?

His time as president was not thrilling, I bet his best time was while
serving at the UN.

Surely his best time was serving with the SS execution squads
in Serbia, wasn't it?

Idiot!

My mistake. That should have been Bosnia. I hang my
head in shame.

Old March 29th 04, 07:09 PM
Rob Perkins

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Rob Perkins" wrote in message
.. .

Now have a look again at the U.S. Constitution and take your seat next
to Hamilton, becauase you're now in favor of the Electoral College
system that got Bush into office on a minority vote...

Minority vote? Bush had a majority of the electoral vote, as is required by
the Constitution or the election goes to the House.

Now, Steven, I know that. But the popular vote, the one all Bush's
enemies keep harping on, is the one he got a bare minority on.

At the time, I could have handled Gore as President. (People aren't
really that stupid, America would have just given Gore a Congress that
hated him) It was the atrocious politically opportunistic behavior in
Florida, and all the swirling sophistries connected with it, which
made me a bit ill.

Here's to a clear and honorable decision, this time around, no matter
who takes the prize.

Rob, who will cast the vote but not hold out much hope for honor among
thiev^H^H^H^H^Hpoliticians...
Old March 29th 04, 08:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rob Perkins" wrote in message

Now, Steven, I know that. But the popular vote, the one all Bush's
enemies keep harping on, is the one he got a bare minority on.

How does one get a "bare minority" of the popular vote? Gore received a
higher popular vote than Bush, but neither received a majority of the vote.
Bush won more states and more counties than Gore, something the Democrats
seem to forget.