I wonder how the NTSB on this one will read...

Old November 8th 04, 12:02 PM
Ron Natalie

Dale wrote:

If it happens to me I'm finding a long, wide strip of pavement somewhere
to put the airplane.

Also, there was that DC-9 that did a beautiful gear up down in Texas
(Houston?) when they forgot to turn up the hydaulics. (At least in
the Navion you can't move the lever when you forget to turn the hydraulics
on).
Old November 9th 04, 11:39 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Ron Natalie wrote:
Also, there was that DC-9 that did a beautiful gear up down in Texas
(Houston?) when they forgot to turn up the hydaulics. (At least in
the Navion you can't move the lever when you forget to turn the hydraulics
on).

It was Houston (I was living there at the time). The DC-9 slid 7000 feet
on its belly at IAH.

It was a failure of CRM. The captain, who was flying, was gruff sort who
was griping about the weather and how it was going to ruin his tennis
plans. The first officer, well aware of something being wrong was
unwilling to challenge the captain because he had previously been
disciplined for challenging a captain.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old November 9th 04, 01:29 PM
Ron Natalie

Dylan Smith wrote:
In article , Ron Natalie wrote:

Also, there was that DC-9 that did a beautiful gear up down in Texas
(Houston?) when they forgot to turn up the hydaulics. (At least in
the Navion you can't move the lever when you forget to turn the hydraulics
on).

It was Houston (I was living there at the time). The DC-9 slid 7000 feet
on its belly at IAH.

It was a failure of CRM. The captain, who was flying, was gruff sort who
was griping about the weather and how it was going to ruin his tennis
plans. The first officer, well aware of something being wrong was
unwilling to challenge the captain because he had previously been
disciplined for challenging a captain.

Yes, I remember...the culmination was the FO saying "somethings not right"
and the captain saying "I got it."

Old November 9th 04, 05:54 PM
Michael

Dave S wrote
Plane lands in field near runway

A two-engine plane landed on its belly in a grassy field next to the
runway at Weiser Air Park in northwest Harris County on Saturday. The
pilot was able to land the plane after the left-wing wheel fell off,
according to the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department. No one was injured
in the landing.

KEYQ in Houston is Weiser

Believe less of what you read.

The plane was the rare and unusual Twin Cherokee. Well, not really.
It was a flight school Warrior. The left main simply fell off one
fine day. Those of you familiar with the gear system will know that
the scissors assembly contains three bolts. Two of them are
castle-nutted and cotter-pinned. Loss of any one of them will be
sufficient to lose the gear assembly on takeoff, which is exactly what
happened. We won't discuss why the bolt(s) departed. It's a rental.

The pilot (CFI) landed on the crossing grass strip, which is
designated emergency use only, on the advice of another pilot - sort
of an elder statesman on the airport. I personally do not concur with
that advice - I would have opted for pavement for all the reasons
already given in this thread - but I wasn't on the radio. I was
standing by with a fire extinguisher in a truck by the end of the
runway in case the fire department didn't show.

The pilot (CFI) also elected to land flaps up, on the advice of the
same pilot. What I think of that suggestion (offered on base at that)
does not bear repeating, but once again I was not in a position to do
anything.

The pilot (CFI) did an EXCELLENT job. He burned most of the fuel out
of the left tank. The landing was made at minimum airspeed (for flaps
up), the mixture was pulled in the flare, and the left wing (the one
without the gear) was kept as light as possible as long as possible.
When the plane got too slow to keep the left wing up, it dropped into
the grass and the plane skidded around about 90 degrees to the left.
There was minor damage to the left flap and that was about it, as far
as I can tell.

A mechanic was standing by with the gear. We lifted the wing, he
popped in the gear, and the plane was towed to the shop. Then
everyone went home, and I went flying.

I don't see why there would be an NTSB report at all. The damage to
the plane was minor, and all of the sort specifically excluded from
the definiion of significant damage.

Michael
Old November 10th 04, 02:22 AM
Blueskies

"Michael" wrote in message om...
[...]

How did they know the wheel fell off?

Old November 10th 04, 05:24 PM
Michael

"Blueskies" wrote
How did they know the wheel fell off?

They were told on the radio, as they approached for landing minus a wheel.

Michael
Old November 10th 04, 06:51 PM

In article , "Blueskies" writes:

How did they know the wheel fell off?

They had been doing landings at West Houston airport (where
most landing training is done for students out of Weiser, since
Weiser's landing strip is no wider than a postage stamp, and
the winds are crosswinds almost all the time), and the wheel
fell off on the runway there after their last one, as they were
departing back to Weiser. Someone at West Houston notcied it and
told 'em by radio. Leastwise, that's what the guys at the FBO
told me. Good thing they didn't decide to do one more
touch & go, nicht wahr?

I was booked for a lesson in that plane (Warrior 92C) the next hour,
so I just barely missed out on seeing this happen, first hand.
I've had to endure a lot of ribbing about the fact that I did
almost all of my training in that plane (including lots of
landings...). I'm now training in one of the other Warriors
there ( 5ST, it has new upholstery!).

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants