weather question

Old December 19th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default weather question

Is there a decent source for a statistic that gives VFR vs. IFR vs. NO
FLY for geographic areas?

Say, for iced in Iowa, or for turbulent but clear Tejas.
Old December 19th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

wrote:

Is there a decent source for a statistic that gives VFR vs. IFR vs. NO
FLY for geographic areas?

Say, for iced in Iowa, or for turbulent but clear Tejas.

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/satellite/

Pick the Western or Eastern US with MVFR, VFR, IFR , LIFR overlays.

Ron Lee

Old December 19th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 18, 11:57 pm, wrote:
Is there a decent source for a statistic that gives VFR vs. IFR vs. NO
FLY for geographic areas?

Say, for iced in Iowa, or for turbulent but clear Tejas.

Have you covered Weather in Ground School or self study yet? if so,
you'll learn plenty about Aviation Weather Services.

If you are already a certificated pilot, take a look at the Java
Flight Path Tool: http://adds.aviationweather.gov/fpt_application/
AFTER you review Aviation Weather Services.

Dan

Old December 19th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 18, 8:57 pm, wrote:
Is there a decent source for a statistic that gives VFR vs. IFR vs. NO
FLY for geographic areas?

Say, for iced in Iowa, or for turbulent but clear Tejas.

I'm a computer guy so once all the cool new aviation weather stuff
started showing up online I used it for all my flights. However, I
recently discovered what I lost by not looking at the traditional
charts. Weather Depiction charts, Radar Summary charts, etc have a lot
of great info and much of that info is not covered in the new 'fancy'
graphics. Nowadays I typically first go to http://aviationweather.gov/std_brief/
and look at the FAA charts. I also fly a Mooney so I'm usually going
some distance. If I were still flying the Aeronca I would probably
just crack the window.

-robert
Old December 19th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Go to the ADDS page and click on the Top News of the Day. There is an
experimental ceiling-visibility chart that looks promising.

Bob Gardner

Old December 20th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, those are useful links for weather prep, but the motivation for
my question is more finding out about the regional statistics.

Supposing one were to move from where it's VFR 300 days a year to
someplace else -- the general weather pattern might be a
consideration. I might not want to move someplace like the west coast
of Oregon or Washington if it's IFR 300 days a year, even if it's a
beautiful place.

Yes, getting an IFR rating is great -- but I like to look down and see
the things ...

So, I was really after stats rather than current charts. Something
like in Aviation Weather where they have a chart that shows average
number of thunderstorms per year in the continental US.

Old December 20th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Noel

I'll give you one data point. Southern Arizona (like Tucson, Phoenix,
Sierra Vista etc), seems to have about 4 or 5 days a year that are not VFR
for most of the day.
You might have to dodge afternoon thunderstorms in the monsoon season
(usually July through about September).

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old December 20th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Just look at CLIMATE summaries on the NWS, they have many digital and
graphical presentations. Climate is long term weather.