Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old September 16th 20, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Thoughts on the Pipistrel Sinus?
Old September 16th 20, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We owned one for a couple of years.Â* It's very light and was a handful
at Moriarty during our windier months.Â* It will thermal and gain
altitude, but not with a sailplane.Â* It's a great cruiser, capable of
exceeding redline in level flight, so be careful with the throttle.Â* The
Rotax ULS delivered 100 hp with no more than around 7 gallons/hour at
max power, IIRC, and it cruise it burned under 4 gph.Â* Oh, and it has a
ballistic parachute.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 16th 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 4:16:46 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
We owned one for a couple of years. It's very light and was a handful
at Moriarty during our windier months. It will thermal and gain
altitude, but not with a sailplane. It's a great cruiser, capable of
exceeding redline in level flight, so be careful with the throttle. The
Rotax ULS delivered 100 hp with no more than around 7 gallons/hour at
max power, IIRC, and it cruise it burned under 4 gph. Oh, and it has a
ballistic parachute.
On 9/16/2020 5:56 AM, charles wrote:
Thoughts on the Pipistrel Sinus?

--
Dan, 5J

I was thinking to use it as a long distance low cost/hr cruiser. Sort of like sailboat cruising. Not in a hurry to get where I'm going.

What do you think about its thermaling ability? Do you agree that visibility in, say, 45 degree banked turns is terrible? or is it like, say a Cessna 152 (not great but not terrible)? I wouldn't be soaring it with other gliders in gaggles or such. Just cruise-thermaling to save fuel.

Was also thinking to use it to teach off-field landing approaches at various clubs around the US.

Glide ratio appears to vary depending on config. 30:1 is advertised but tech data shows 27:1 for one model and 23:1 for the heavier model:

https://www.pipistrel-usa.com/sinus/

Ben
Old September 17th 20, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On 9/16/2020 5:56 AM, charles wrote:
Thoughts on the Pipistrel Sinus?

Glide ratio appears to vary depending on config. 30:1 is advertised but tech data shows 27:1 for one model and 23:1 for the heavier model:

https://www.pipistrel-usa.com/sinus/

Ben

My flights in a Pipistrel Sinus showed that in a 45-degree bank, the sink rate is quite dramatic, and it takes strong thermals to soar effectively. I enjoyed giving rides to power pilots in which we'd fly around for awhile in airplane ,mode; then I'd stop the engine and feather the prop, and let the airplane pilot glide to a landing (they always handed it back to me at pattern altitude).
Lots of fun, but not a "sailplane" in the XC sense. I can't imagine flying it in weak conditions.
Dan J
Old September 17th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:57:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thoughts on the Pipistrel Sinus?

If you are interested in a Touring Motorglider, the Phoenix is the way to go. With the wing tips removed (takes 30 seconds, each weighing 15 lbs) the wingspan is 35 ft and the plane will comfortably fit in any standard T hangar. The Sinus wingspan with tips removed is over 40’ making it a challenge to fit in a regular size T hangar.
Old September 17th 20, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
discus239

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 3:23:30 PM UTC-6, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:57:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thoughts on the Pipistrel Sinus?

If you are interested in a Touring Motorglider, the Phoenix is the way to go. With the wing tips removed (takes 30 seconds, each weighing 15 lbs) the wingspan is 35 ft and the plane will comfortably fit in any standard T hangar. The Sinus wingspan with tips removed is over 40’ making it a challenge to fit in a regular size T hangar.

My Phoenix is not a substitute for a hi performance sailplane, I've owned a few, but it is a substitute for a light airplane, it is easy to live with, has the big canopy sailplane view, 2 seats side by side, doesn't need a towplane, of which I've owned a few, and climbs nicely in good lift.
Mine has the optional tow hook, haven't used it yet, but its there in case I ever want another sailplane, nearest tow for me is way too far away,
living on an airport means in a few minutes I can be checking out the clouds or taking a sunset flight down the beach.
Old September 18th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Hey There Russ Owens
Hello to you and yours!
Thanks for the response.
Question on the ASH25E
It the Rotary engine eats itself up and you drop it off at Rex's shop to fix it, whats your educated guess to completely replace it with all the extra bits.
Nick

Old September 18th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Nick Kennedy wrote on 9/17/2020 5:06 PM:
Hey There Russ Owens
Hello to you and yours!
Thanks for the response.
Question on the ASH25E
It the Rotary engine eats itself up and you drop it off at Rex's shop to fix it, whats your educated guess to completely replace it with all the extra bits.
Nick

Probably should ask Rex, or pilot that's had to do it, and not somebody like Russ
(or me) that hasn't had any problems.

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 11:17 AM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 12:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 04:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM