Security at a class D tower

Old April 30th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default Security at a class D tower

In article .com,
Denny wrote:

Yes, they can. That's where the on/off switch is located.

This whole conversation is confusing the physical location of the
power supply to the ILS with the 'authority' to turn it off... On our
airport the ILS is powered from a padlocked breaker box... The airport
manager has an emergency key to the padlock and can physically shut it
down, but the snarling and swearing that will shortly result will be
something to behold because he does not have the authority to do so
other than a true emergency... In my converstions with the techs who
maintain the system (ILS and NDB) they take a dim view of anyone
touching 'their' equipment... The lone exception has been the NDB
which is prone to tripping off from nearby lightning strikes... We
will routinely unlock the door to the shack and reset the breaker...
The techs are happy not to make a 90 mile drive just for that...

denny

When I visited the KBED tower, there was the ILS switch right there in the tower
cab. Note that this is different from removing power from the various LRUs.

It's not just authority, it's not just removing power.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old April 30th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

The 9/11 terrorists must really being enjoying this from wherever they
are.

They have to be laughing so hard they wet themselves... The mighty US
bureaucracy cowering in the streets and congressmen cowering in the
basement, because some bug smasher got lost...

I love my country, it is the government that turns my stomach...

denny

Old April 30th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

In the tower we have two switches. One switches the localizer between
the two runways, only one can be on at a time. The second switch shuts
them both off. We normally have no reason to turn them off but that
ability and authority rests with the person in charge in the tower. I
don't know if our airport management has the ability to turn it off. I
doubt it as the only other place to do it outside of the tower would be
at the individual localizer and glideslope shacks. They have no
responsibility for the system and probably couldn't care less.

Old April 30th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

When I visited the KBED tower, there was the ILS switch right there in the
tower cab. Note that this is different from removing power from the
various
LRUs.

It's not just authority, it's not just removing power.

Is that what you're hung up on, the location of the switch?

SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Class E or Class G - another one of those that makes you go 'hmmmmm' JT Piloting 10 February 27th 06 06:41 PM
US Standard Class and World Class Nationals at Hobbs Ken Sorenson Soaring 7 July 16th 04 04:03 AM
Tower with only Class G Airspace Jeff Saylor Piloting 8 May 10th 04 09:53 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM