US resident , no greencard, buying a glider in the US

Old October 25th 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]

Default US resident , no greencard, buying a glider in the US

I'm hoping to tap the voice of experience...

I've been thinking about buying a glider ever since I moved to the US,
its been 10 years now and I'm still waiting to get my Green card... yay
go USA... anyway... bitterness aside...

I know that I can't register an Aircraft on the US register unless its
owned by a US entity (person or corporation, majority),... or a Greencard
holder... bitter a little.

BUT...

Is there anything to stop me buying one and transferring it the the UK
register, but keeping it here and having my father (a UK based aircraft
inspector) come over and give it its annual airworthiness on the UK
register and fly it that way ?

What would be the process, would I have to get an export CofA and go
through all that rigmarole and then do the Uk equivalent to transfer the
registration, even thought he aircraft is not actually being exported ?

And I would eventually (hopefully some decade soon) be reversing the
process once I get my Greencard.

Any other common means for a non-US citizen to own an aircraft legally in
the US. I don;t want to bend any rules and I'd rather not put a $50-80K
glider on teh register under someone elses name (and effectively make
them liable for any legal/tax issues), as well as have to trust someone
with that much of an asset that I'd have to basically lose legal rights
to to transfer to them legally.

Or should I pack up my stuff and head back to blighty... :-)

Peter
Old October 25th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Oct 25, 12:01*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

Is it legal for you to lease a sailplane?
Old October 25th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:07:26 -0700, Mike wrote:

On Oct 25, 12:01Â*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

I'd actually not thought of that, but since I'm looking at second hand
gliders, I don't think its an option ... is it ?, can I get a lease on a
used aircraft... ?

Peter

Old October 25th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

On Oct 25, 12:01*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

Peter- Hide quoted text -

Check UK regulations. I had the same problem with a Canadian glider
when I lived in the US post-9/11. Canada would allow a waiver for
requirement for annual airworthiness inspections, normally requiring a
Canadian mechanic (AME), that allowed a specific US A&I (by name) to
do the work on my glider during my time there (I also considered
flying in a Canadian mechanic, but the waiver paperwork was easier
(look for a clause like "inspections shall normally be done by..." and
indicate why your situation isn't normal)). Flying on UK registration/
pilot paperwork/insurance is legal - British Airways does it all the
time. My Canadian insurance was valid in the US (don't know if UK
insurance would be).

So, my recommendation - fly on your UK pilot certificate, in a UK
glider, on UK insurance, in the US. Makes the problem of going back
to the land of the weak thermal easier at the end of your time in the
US easier, too. Only downside is you can't lend your glider to non-UK-
certified pilots (but you'll be popular with your old clubmates!).

You also might check with SSA and AOPA - both good organizations - and
ask if they can work on the problem of foreigners not being able to
own N-numbered sailplanes. If UK allows non-UK folks to own, ask for
similarity....

Dan
Old October 25th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Oct 25, 2:01*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

You can register a corporation and make the corporation own the
glider. A UK diplomat did that when he lived in the U.S. I bought my
last glider from him.
Old October 25th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:28:40 -0700, AK wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:01Â*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

Strictly speaking, as far as I know, the corporation has to be majority
owned by Americans... so I'm no better off, the corporation and
therefore...other people... have to own and take liability for the
aircraft.. no better than a three way partnership with two americans, and
I'd have the downside of having to file corporate tax papers each year..

As far as I've seen the System can't be circumvented... I suppose thats
the idea anyway.
Old October 25th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Oct 25, 2:01*am, Peter wrote:
[...]

I told you I know a guy who did it. What type of corporation it was I
don't know. Go talk to a lawyer.
Old October 25th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa

On Oct 25, 11:28*am, AK wrote:
On Oct 25, 2:01*am, Peter wrote:

[...]

last glider from him.- Hide quoted text -

I'm a Canadian, but post most of my flying in my own ship in Florida
during the winter. I have mused on US registration for a while, and
my approach would be to check with a lawyer the following:

Create a Delaware corporation (great liability protection and no sales
tax) online cheaply. Lend the purchase price to the corporation as a
debenture, secured by a lien on the glider. Lease it to yourself for
$1/year net (you pay the maintenance and insurance), plus the costs
for corporate filings, with an option to buy for the purchase price.
You’ll need a US citizen to be the shareholder and President. He can
have the $1.

One attraction of the US registration to me is the no-medical-required
glider licence. I wrote the exam and did the flight test last year to
get one, and it was very timely as Transport Canada Licensing pulled
my medical when I contracted throat cancer this summer. I could even
take this glider to Canada and fly it there on the US ticket. I'll
follow the thread to see what you come up with.

Buying a used GLider JSF-TC Soaring 2 June 25th 07 05:55 AM
buying help John Doe Owning 21 August 17th 05 07:08 PM
Oshkosh Resident? RST Engineering Piloting 0 June 18th 05 03:48 PM
Visa resident aliens out here - how did you solve these problems? mike-the-bike General Aviation 0 June 12th 05 12:04 PM
BUYING Cap 10b(c) os_pivo Aviation Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 07:15 PM