Flight Recorder for SSA Badges

Old November 18th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Carl6703[_2_]

Default Flight Recorder for SSA Badges

I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring
Old November 18th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 18, 9:01*am, Carl6703 wrote:
I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. *Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

LX Nano seems the clear feature leader in the portable IGC approved
Flight recorder market and its well priced at ~US$600 on the street.
Internal battery or external powered. Bluetooth support. Available
now. That is what I'd buy.

Many USA pilots are going to gain a IGC flight recorder via their
PowerFLARM and if they have a portable model then its obviously a
portable IGC flight recorder as well (suitable for use on all FAI
badges up to and including the 3 diamonds). So another option is to
encourage use of or rent a PowerFLARM. That $500 cost of a flight
recorder helps offset around a third of the purchase price of a
PowerFLARM so something to think about.

Darryl
Old November 18th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 18, 11:01*am, Carl6703 wrote:
I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. *Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

if you want to eliminate the barographs completely i'd say go with the
LXNAV Nano. Extremely small, entirely self contained in a unit that
is smaller than my cell phone, costs about the same as a 15 yr old
volkslogger or cambridge unit (~$600 at cumulus soaring and wings and
wheels and maybe others), easy operation. I just picked one up and am
looking forward to using it this upcoming season. I would think it
would be a great setup for rental.

just curious, why are you looking to retire the barographs? if you're
wanting your renters to be able to do closed course silver and gold
distance legs you can get some FlywithCE recorders (~$120 at Wings and
Wheels) to use in conjunction with the barographs. They have been
approved as "Position Recorders" in the USA to replace cameras and
turnpoint photos. Of course the Barograph alone is still all you need
to do free distance silver, gold and diamond distance and altitude
gains and silver duration.

Old November 18th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Nov 18, 9:22*am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Oops! I hit 'send' instead of 'discard'. I'm sure the OP is trying
to SIMPLIFY more than economize. Yes, it's cheaper to use a postion
recorder and baro some badge flights, but it's also a PITA! I'm voting
with Daryll: get an LX Nano and be done.
Old November 18th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 18, 9:01*am, Carl6703 wrote:
I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. *Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

Carl,

Craggy Aero LLC is the Authorized Dealer and Service Center for the
US for LXNAV the manufacturer of the NANO flight computer.

I have NANOs in stock.

Please see

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_nav.htm

For information on the NANO.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old November 18th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 18, 11:33*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:22*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

i also suggested the Nano if a full IGC approved flight recorder is
what they want. I'm not convinced that an electronic flight recorder
is really more simple than a barograph. I did a bunch of state
records this season with a FlywithCE/barograph combination and it was
not that difficult to do the paperwork and application. There is
plenty of paperwork and setup to be done with either type of device
before and after the flight. also plenty of failure modes for each.
any of us with any experience with any type of flight recording device
can attest to that.
Old November 18th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 18, 9:22*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

Tony. Congratulations you passed the IGC flight recorder puzzle test
and have a badge to prove it. Many other people beat their head
against this and give up. And yes an IGC flight recorder still
involves a lot of stuff but any operation who standardizes on one
recording device for all badges flights (where any recording device is
needed) is going to have an easier time. Especially when they need to
understand all the rule and different device nuances and then need to
explain that to renters, explain it again, and again, and again,....

At $600 price and if used by any reasonable number of people per year
the per-use cost is very low -- I just do not see why any commercial
operation (where I presume people's time cost money) would want to
dick around with barographs when there is a portable IGC recorder
available for $600.

Darryl

Old November 18th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 18, 9:22*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

Darryl when I was working on my Silver Badge I did eventually get the
point of beating my head on the wall and nearly giving up. Giving up
on doing the paperwork and getting a good trace that is. I always
seemed to fly further when I didn't have the barograph on board
anyway.

Last winter I spent a lot of time actually reading the Sporting Code
and the SSA Badge and Record guide and started preparing for flights
by the book. I was amazed at how well it worked out. Instead of having
the barograph/FR be an afterthought it was actually part of the
planning for the flight and by golly things started working out.
Managed to get my gold badge legs and something like 17 state records
all through on the first try! Also OO'd for at least 6 Silver badge
legs using barographs, 2 using a FR, and 2 state records and they all
went through too! I must be living right!

yes standardizing on one device is a good idea, be that a replogle
barograph or an FR. there is approximately equal preflight dicking
around associated with either one, IMO. If they want their renters to
be able to fly for Diamond Goal then the FR is the obvious choice. No
doubt the Nano is probably the best choice. That is why I just bought
one.

Although I do need to remember to make a box in the Cherokee for that
Winter Barograph I have. Gotta have that ready for the eventual
diamond distance attempt.
Old November 18th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Like many of the others that posted here - I'm a fan of the Nano. I have
them in stock, along with nice cables for connecting to PDAs, etc. I'm also
a dealer for LXNAV.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm

The EW microRecorder is also a nice option.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ew.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Carl6703" wrote in message
I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

WinCe Flight Recorder John Godfrey (QT)[_2_] Soaring 0 November 11th 09 12:18 PM
New flight recorder - flyWithCE Flight Recorder uros Soaring 12 May 5th 09 08:31 PM
In flight recorder Lou Piloting 23 March 24th 07 12:45 AM
Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges Doug Snyder Soaring 36 September 21st 05 08:26 AM
US: Flight Recorder Alert Judy Ruprecht Soaring 8 July 19th 04 09:04 PM