gps mouse

Old May 11th 04, 12:00 AM
Toks Desalu

Default gps mouse

Earthmate GPS Receiver

http://www.gps4fun.com/del_earth.php

Anyone think this receiver is the cheapest mouse (WAAS capability) on
market?

(I really don't need that street map software that included in this product,
but the price is actually cheaper than any gps mouse on market)

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar.

Old May 11th 04, 12:40 AM
Middle aged

Deluo sells one for $89, not sure if it is WAAS enabled.
http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/gps_for_laptop.php

Richard

Old May 11th 04, 12:59 AM
Toks Desalu

But, this one is for laptop. I am actually looking one for Pocket PC.

.cable.rogers.com...

Old May 11th 04, 04:19 AM
John Harlow

http://www.gps4fun.com/del_earth.php

Anyone think this receiver is the cheapest mouse (WAAS capability) on
market?

I have one but I would not depend on it for flight. It takes a VEEERY long
time to acquire and loses satellites all too easily. It pales in comparison
to my 1998 Garmin III pilot.

Old May 11th 04, 07:17 AM
Brenor Brophy

Toks,

This mouse GPS uses the SiRf Star II Chip-set like many other similiar
units. They are all WAAS enabled, its one of the features of that chip-set.
Here is a link for another slightly cheaper unit
(http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=U2-USBGPS) that basically has
the same GPS capability. The main issue with these mouse units is connecting
them to something else.

There are two issues:

1) Power supply to the mouse GPS.
If it doesn't come with internal batteries then It may have a separate power
connector to which you have to supply power. This might be 3.3V or 5V rather
than the simple 12V cigarette lighter plug. And even if it has one of those,
make sure it will work with the 28V aircraft power supply (not all planes
are 28V, but many are).

2) The interface from the mouse GPS is usually Serial (RS232) or USB. Both
will work great if you connect to a PC. USB will usually also supply power
to the unit as well (see point 1). However, USB can be a bit tricky when
connecting to a PDA. Basically, both the PDA and the Mouse GPS are USB slave
devices so they may not talk together - I believe this problem is usually
solved with the right software on the PDA. Lastly most PDA's have some kind
of funky custom connector.

So the devil is in getting the right piece of wire that connects the mouse
GPS to the PDA and supplies the right power to the GPS. Unless you're handy
with a soldering iron I would look for a "total" solution (PDA+cable+GPS)
created by a third party.

-Brenor

Old May 11th 04, 05:02 PM
Jon Parmet

[sci.geo.satellite-nav added]

You might get some good input from the GPS newsgroup as well.

Regards,
Jon

Old May 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Jon C

www.semsons.com

Lots of mice GPSs, with cables included, for under $100. I have the Haicom
for my Sony Clie and couldn't be happier. GPS + Clie cable for $85!

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
Thanks!

Old May 14th 04, 08:54 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
Earthmate GPS Receiver

http://www.gps4fun.com/del_earth.php

Anyone think this receiver is the cheapest mouse (WAAS capability) on
market?

Do an e-bay search for GPS mouse. I got one for under $60, USB for my
laptop. For a PDA you can get a Bluetooth one ($100ish) or get a compact
flash or SDIO (depending on PDA) one. Do an ebay search for
"compact flash gps".

SDIO is expensive at the moment (about $230).
http://www.gps4fun.com/ph_sdio.php

Paul