A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

adding speed/vario switch into ASW-19 control stick grip

Old December 19th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen
external usenet poster

Default adding speed/vario switch into ASW-19 control stick grip

I am updating the variometer system in our club ASW-19b. I would
like to add speed/vario switch into the stick handle. Any ideas,
advice and suggestion for components welcome!

Old December 19th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:28:36 AM UTC-5, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:

Sometimes it is easiest to just run the wire up the outside of the stick and wrap them and the switch with tennis racket grip tape. The switch stays in place quite well and is offset just a bit off center (next to the PTT) when wrapped to the side of the grip at the top; leave just switch handle xposed. the I found the "Wilson Kontrol" tape works great, has no goo, and has a great feel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150931676320
Old December 19th 12, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:28:36 PM UTC+1, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:

A bit Gucci, but will definitely make your glider go faster:

http://www.gliderdesignparts.de/knueppel_ent.en.html

Cheers,

Kirk
Old December 19th 12, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Dec 19, 7:28*am, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:

Don't. Buy a vario with automatic cruise/climb switching. Otherwise
you will spend a lot of time with the switch in the wrong position.
John Cochrane
Old December 20th 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:54:58 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28*am, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote: I am updating the variometer system in our club ASW-19b. I would like to add speed/vario switch into the stick handle. Any ideas, advice and suggestion for components welcome! Don't. Buy a vario with automatic cruise/climb switching. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time with the switch in the wrong position. John Cochrane

Hi John - I have a LX V7 variothat has that functionality. The automatic switching of the STF is currently based on a GPS input (straight flight = STF, turn = vario). I am moderatly happy with the automating switching based on that logic. Is there a better one? I understand that the vario could also switch to SFT above a certain speed (e.g. 60kts) but I find myself flying at best L/D at times. In that case, the vario would automatically revert to "Vario". What "automatic switching logic" works best in your experience?

Thanks,

B
Old December 20th 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Don't. Buy a vario with automatic cruise/climb switching. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time with the switch in the wrong position.

I have to respectfully disagree with John - I've tried automatic cruise/climb switching (SN10) and hate it with a passion - I don't even like having it connected to the flap switch. There are times when I want TE and I'm not in thermalling flaps (under a cloudstreet perhaps), and if turning is used, I may not be turning enough to trigger the climbing mode while sniffing around for a core.

Then again, I don't use any audio during cruise, so the difference is immediately obvious to me. I use a switch on the stick - forward for cruise, back for climb.

With the SN10, switching cruise/climb also changes what is shown on my custom page, and resets thermal averages, acts I like being able to control.

Try it both ways, a lot depends on your vario and computer setup. With what John is running, he may be totally right having it done automatically, and he is definitely right that with a manual switch you can get it wrong - kinda like flaps ;^).

Cheers,

Kirk
Old December 20th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:23:20 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:

Don't. Buy a vario with automatic cruise/climb switching. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time with the switch in the wrong position.

I have to respectfully disagree with John - I've tried automatic cruise/climb switching (SN10) and hate it with a passion - I don't even like having it connected to the flap switch. There are times when I want TE and I'm not in thermalling flaps (under a cloudstreet perhaps), and if turning is used, I may not be turning enough to trigger the climbing mode while sniffing around for a core.

Then again, I don't use any audio during cruise, so the difference is immediately obvious to me. I use a switch on the stick - forward for cruise, back for climb.

With the SN10, switching cruise/climb also changes what is shown on my custom page, and resets thermal averages, acts I like being able to control.

Try it both ways, a lot depends on your vario and computer setup. With what John is running, he may be totally right having it done automatically, and he is definitely right that with a manual switch you can get it wrong - kinda like flaps ;^).

Cheers,

Kirk

I think the ideal is automatic switching with a manual override. Then, if you want to hear one vs. another temporarily you can do so. But you won't find yourself boring a hole in the sky at 120 knots in "sink" because you forgot to turn the regular vario back to speed to fly.

I set my audio up for regular vario in climb, and speed to fly in cruise with fast response and tight deadbands. My needle in cruse shows relative netto (netto - 200 fpm).

This setup has the advantage of no big changes as you move from climb to cruise. At about 60 knots, you get about the same indication in either mode. The 302 also has a "lift alarm" feature which switches to regular vario if the lift is above the Mc setting when flying straight(or similar -- not sure of the algorithm) making the transition even more seamless.

The overall result in the 302 was that I am not even aware of what mode it's in and just fly the glider. Up tones mean gently slow down, look at the needle briefly to evaluate the lift strength for deciding to stop or not, down tones mean get out and speed up. The new clearnav vario is still working on the cruise/climb algorithm so there is more of a noticeable change (still small), but I expect that to be smoothed out.

John Cochrane
Old December 20th 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

We have 3 club gliders with LX160S flight computers, and I would like to have also the SC/vario switching identical in all 3. LX160 was chosen since it is very simple to use, MC, ballast, bugs and filter switches, no need to use menus during flight. And it connects nicely with XCSoar.
Old December 21st 12, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 05:34:12 -0800, Bastoune wrote:

I have a LX V7 variothat has that functionality. The
automatic switching of the STF is currently based on a GPS input
(straight flight = STF, turn = vario). I am moderatly happy with the
automating switching based on that logic. Is there a better one? I
understand that the vario could also switch to SFT above a certain speed
(e.g. 60kts) but I find myself flying at best L/D at times. In that
case, the vario would automatically revert to "Vario". What "automatic
switching logic" works best in your experience?

I have an SDI C4 vario that offers the choice of manual, speed and turn
switching. The older C3 allowed you to choose speed or turn and override
it (the manual switch had a three position switch: climb-auto-cruise but
the C4 omitted the manual override. I tried circling and hated it and now
use speed switching. This instrument allows different speeds to be set
for cruise-climb and climb-cruise which is useful: I like climb-cruise
set 5-6 kts faster than cruise-climb and would probably hate a vario
that had only one switching speed, but ymmv.

If you try speed switching, be prepared to spend time tuning it to the
way you like to fly the glider its in: using the same instrument in two
fairly different gliders showed me that you need to tweak both the
switching speeds to suit both the glider and your flying style, but get
it set right and it is almost always in the mode you want.

A reasonable start point is with cruise-climb set about 2-3 kts below
best glide speed and climb-cruise set around 5 kts above best glide.
Then go fly and adjust as needed. What you want is for it to stay in
cruise along a weakish street but not suddenly jump out of climb while
you're thermalling.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |
Old December 21st 12, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Since I make installation into a club glider, I just want it to be identical with other two with XC potential. LX160 has SC/vario/auto switch, so the pilot can make his own choice. So, I would like to install a new grip with SC/vario switch. I do not want to pay for carbon fiber, I just hope I can find something practical and proven.