Alpha Jet

Old November 3rd 09, 08:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default Alpha Jet

So, how does one determine what the registrations of the individual aircraft
are. This is number 8 but that doesn't mean that it was 8 last year I guess.
Just curious as to how one keeps track of each aircraft.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alpha1 copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	39370
Old November 3rd 09, 10:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustY ©

"Glenn" wrote in message
So, how does one determine what the registrations of the individual
aircraft
are. This is number 8 but that doesn't mean that it was 8 last year I
guess.
Just curious as to how one keeps track of each aircraft.

You will need to photograph the whole aircraft - its on the rear section.
It will also be a civy reg F-XXXX. and you are correct they do change them
around/

Old November 3rd 09, 11:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

"RustY ©" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message
So, how does one determine what the registrations of the individual
aircraft
are. This is number 8 but that doesn't mean that it was 8 last year I
guess.
Just curious as to how one keeps track of each aircraft.

You will need to photograph the whole aircraft - its on the rear section.
It will also be a civy reg F-XXXX. and you are correct they do change
them around/

Thanks, I saw the letters but wasn't sure what they were about. OK, so now
my next question is why is it a Civvy registration.
I've seen them refered to as E-158 etc on websites for rego and figured that
it was the military rego but I've no idea where people find that.

I can't see anything other than teh civvy stuff on here

http://www.warbirdz.net/largepic.php?ID=18384

Old November 3rd 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Hello,

Glenn a écrit dans :
"RustY ©" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message
So, how does one determine what the registrations of the individual
aircraft
are. This is number 8 but that doesn't mean that it was 8 last year I
guess.
Just curious as to how one keeps track of each aircraft.

You will need to photograph the whole aircraft - its on the rear section.
It will also be a civy reg F-XXXX. and you are correct they do change them
around/

Thanks, I saw the letters but wasn't sure what they were about. OK, so now my
next question is why is it a Civvy registration.

Well... to make a long story short :
- in France, some registrations series are reserved for state and
military use (F-Z : trials, F-W : prototypes...)
- each unit had (yes, it changed...) a series and could change the last
letter, and usually its aircraft were coded with the last two letters
(for example, Transall C 160 NGs in Evreux were allocated the
registrations from F-RAGA to F-RAGZ, and were coded 64-GA to 64-GZ)
- beside that, each aircraft has its own serial number (E158 for the
A-Jet here
- so, when an aircraft is assigned to another unit, it keeps the serial
number, but changes its registration. Imagune this E158 being given to
Tours Fighter School, it would become for example E-158/314-LA. If
assigned later to Cazaux OTU, it could have become E158/8-NB.

That is no longer true since last year... (Sorry, not my idea).
- the a/c have now official papers, and will not keep the registration
they had mid 2008 all their career long, even if they are reassigned.
And the number is that of the AB, not the unit.
So, today, your E158 , currently F-TERM, assigned to Tours, will be the
E158/705-RM ; and in Cazaux, it will be the E158/120-RM.

I've seen them refered to as E-158 etc on websites for rego and figured that
it was the military rego but I've no idea where people find that.

I can't see anything other than teh civvy stuff on here
http://www.warbirdz.net/largepic.php?ID=18384

- the Alpha Gadjets of the PAF were registred F-TERx, and being
specially painted, they don't have any unit codes.

Bye

--
Bye,

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr

Old November 4th 09, 03:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:02:12 +0100, D. St-Sanvain
wrote:

Hello,

Glenn a écrit dans :
"RustY ©" wrote in message

"Glenn" wrote in message
[...]

Very informative, thanks! I'm fascinated by learning how aircraft are
identified around the world.

As to national demonstration teams - here in the US, the Blue Angels
proudly carry their bureau numbers (though placed on the rear fuselage
below the horizontal stab that always manages to block the view.)

On the other hand, the USAF Thunderbirds don't display their serial
numbers at all, though rumor has it that they are displayed on the
inside of a maintenance hatch that you have to know the secret
handshake to see...

Bob ^,,^
Old November 4th 09, 11:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustY ©

"Glenn" wrote in message
Thanks, I saw the letters but wasn't sure what they were about. OK, so now
my next question is why is it a Civvy registration.

One reason is that militaty aircraft have different rules and restrictions
applied to them in some/most countries and this avoids any problems. Some
British military aircraft carry only civil markings but I'm not supposed to
point them out. On the flip side, some civvy aircraft carry military
markings to allow them to operate to military rules.