Bird strikes on light GA prop aircraft

Old August 20th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default Bird strikes on light GA prop aircraft

I was out hopping some of the local airports last Saturday night and had a
very near miss with a very large bird. It appeared to be a large owl, or
something similar. I was at about 50 to 100 feet on take-off, about 75
knots, and seriously out of runway.

The whole situation just got me to thinking about bird strikes and light GA
aircraft. I have seen and heard a lot of first and second hand stories about
deer strikes on quiet runways, and usually do a low pass to check,
especially the quiet places. But I guess I had never heard or seriously
considered a bird strike with such a large bird.

Any first had experiences out there? Any speculation on what could have
happened if he struck the wing tip, or better yet the propeller arc? I was
flying a Cessna 172SP. His flight path was exactly the opposite direction.

Old August 20th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Aug 20, 1:51 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
I was out hopping some of the local airports last Saturday night and had a
very near miss with a very large bird. It appeared to be a large owl, or
something similar. I was at about 50 to 100 feet on take-off, about 75
knots, and seriously out of runway.

The whole situation just got me to thinking about bird strikes and light GA
aircraft. I have seen and heard a lot of first and second hand stories about
deer strikes on quiet runways, and usually do a low pass to check,
especially the quiet places. But I guess I had never heard or seriously
considered a bird strike with such a large bird.

Any first had experiences out there? Any speculation on what could have
happened if he struck the wing tip, or better yet the propeller arc? I was
flying a Cessna 172SP. His flight path was exactly the opposite direction.

I've had many bird strikes (100's) in both airplanes and helicopters.
Have had several that came thru the windscreen into the cockpit. On
one birdstrike, the bird/s glanced off my helmet and left a near
perfect imprint of feathers when I ducked. The birds were dead and I
had a large hole in the windscreen. Landed without further incident.
I've never been injured from a bird strike but have had severe damage
to the aircraft that required some expensive repairs.
One incident that caused me to rethink birdstrikes was finding a piece
of plexiglass shaped like a dagger with extremely sharp edges inside
the cockpit. If I had been hit in the throat with that piece, could I
have bled out before I could get back on the ground? Perhaps..... and
it sure made me think. I used that same piece of plexiglass for a
letter opener for years. Perhaps the most unusual was a little Mallard
hen that came thru the windscreen of a helicopter and flew around in
the cockpit until I knocked it down into the chin bubble.
From my experiences, if faced with an imminent bird strike, I'll try

to fly up and turn to take the strike on the belly of the aircraft
rather than thru the windscreen. I've hit birds with both prop and
rotorblade. It always 100% of the time resulted in a red explosion
with blood and guts on the window. There was a fast shudder/vibration
that went away in seconds. I've seen some major damage from
birdstrikes and on occasion, an aircraft that was brought down by
them. If you haven't, check the OopsList.com and find a lot of
birdstrike pics.
Cheers
Ol S&B
flyin buzzard - World INfamous Pilot/Instructor

Old August 20th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Hawk into the upper curvature of a C182 windscreen. No damage, very loud.
Sparrows into the air intake of an Archer, discovered post flight.
Unknown into the prop and spread alongside the cowl of a Lance
Near miss of a turkey buzzard in an Aztec
Saw another Aztec that had a goose crunch the leading edge back to the spar.

Jim

Old August 21st 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Maxwell wrote:

Any first had experiences out there? Any speculation on what could have
happened if he struck the wing tip, or better yet the propeller arc? I was
flying a Cessna 172SP. His flight path was exactly the opposite direction.

I hit a similar sized bird (turkey buzard) with the wing of a Skyhawk.
It pushed a section of the leading edge between two ribs back to the
spar.
Old August 21st 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Maxwell,

Any first had experiences out there?

A hawk hitting the wing of the DA-40 I was flying over Scottsdale, AZ.
No damage, I just had to wipe off the blood spatter and feathers.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 21st 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Any first had experiences out there? Any speculation on what could have
happened if he struck the wing tip, or better yet the propeller arc?

We had a C-152 on the training line that had a birdstrike dent in one
leading edge. I guess it was deemed just small enough to not require repair,
but that plane briskly dropped that wing every time in a stall.

My own experience is almost too insignificant to mention..a hit on my lower
fuze just as I was rolling out into final on my very first flight in a
single-seat glider. I only mention it because most of the time I have hit birds
in cars (and that one time in an aircraft) I was turning at the time. Perhaps
birds assume that all machines travel in a straight line?

Vaughn

Old August 21st 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

A lot of seagulls at kgyy. I often see them dodging me on takeoff but
have never hit one. Read an article about somebody who hit one with a
Velocity a while back - came right through the ws into the pilot's
face. He couldn't see anything because eyes were covered with guts
and gore. Fortunately he had a companion who was able to control the
aircraft while he got cleaned up enough to land.

It is part of the reason why I passed up an opportunity to install a 1-
piece windshield in the Arrow several years ago.

Old August 22nd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Maxwell wrote:
I was out hopping some of the local airports last Saturday night and had a
very near miss with a very large bird. It appeared to be a large owl, or
something similar. I was at about 50 to 100 feet on take-off, about 75
knots, and seriously out of runway.

The whole situation just got me to thinking about bird strikes and light GA
aircraft. I have seen and heard a lot of first and second hand stories about
deer strikes on quiet runways, and usually do a low pass to check,
especially the quiet places. But I guess I had never heard or seriously
considered a bird strike with such a large bird.

Any first had experiences out there? Any speculation on what could have
happened if he struck the wing tip, or better yet the propeller arc? I was
flying a Cessna 172SP. His flight path was exactly the opposite direction.

Not first hand, but about a month ago an
instructor and student in a 150 hit a
hawk a couple miles away. The hawk broke
the windscreen causing so much drag that
the instructor had to land in a tomato
field. Everyone except the hawk and 150
escaped with minor injuries.

Old August 22nd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Last week I landed on the grass at Plum Island MA and was rather
amazed to see fifty or a hundred Canada geese at the far end of the
runway. Perhaps unwisely, I braked and turned around. (Probably I
would have done better to taxi toward them and scare them off.)

Of course when I took off again, all the honkers took fright and took
flight. Happily the Cub can climb faster than a goose.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old August 23rd 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:09:52 -0700, Paul kgyy
wrote:

A lot of seagulls at kgyy. I often see them dodging me on takeoff but
have never hit one. Read an article about somebody who hit one with a
Velocity a while back - came right through the ws into the pilot's
face. He couldn't see anything because eyes were covered with guts
and gore. Fortunately he had a companion who was able to control the
aircraft while he got cleaned up enough to land.

It is part of the reason why I passed up an opportunity to install a 1-
piece windshield in the Arrow several years ago.

Depends on the windshield. It could be one of the reasons for going to
a one piece. The one piece, speed sloped (tm) windshield in the
Bonanza is far stronger than the original two piece. Mine is 1/2"
thick. I've bounced some pretty big birds off it. It's silent in
torrential rain where the old plexiglass in the Cherokee 180 was
deafening in heavy rain.

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Light-Sport Aircraft Gilan Owning 0 April 15th 07 11:12 PM
Light Sport Aircraft gilan Piloting 0 June 9th 05 06:10 PM
Prop Strikes [email protected] Piloting 73 February 21st 05 06:53 PM
Light Sport Aircraft Willard Home Built 25 January 8th 05 04:11 PM