Washington Examiner Editorial on "Glider Safety"

Old April 1st 13, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Washington Examiner Editorial on "Glider Safety"

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:58:00 PM UTC-5, Bill T wrote:
It's not what we knowing pilots read into it. It's what the media and Washington spin masters tell the public that matter.

This same editorial pops up in one of their papers every three to six months. IIRC the owner of the company had a near miss with a glider in his biz jet, and has had a bug up his ass ever since.

Pete
Old April 1st 13, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/31/2013 9:45 PM, vontresc wrote:
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:58:00 PM UTC-5, Bill T wrote:
It's not what we knowing pilots read into it. It's what the media
and Washington spin masters tell the public that matter.

This same editorial pops up in one of their papers every three to six
months. IIRC the owner of the company had a near miss with a glider
in his biz jet, and has had a bug up his ass ever since.

Exactly. And the bug doesn't seem to know, or doesn't care, there are
far more airplanes without transponders than gliders.

email me)
Old April 1st 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Mike, you made my day with that!

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
Absolutely - they make Americans drive on the wrong side of the road, for
one! How about a bit of freedom to do our own thing?

Mike

Old April 1st 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I don't mind editorials but the writer should get his facts
straight.

As I see it the issue on implementation is not the weight. It is the
additional cost (unit, wiring, antenna, etc) and the effect on our
limited battery capacity.

Also, "The glider exemption was a simple oversight in the first
place." HUH??

Let's point him in the direction of LSA. Or maybe automobile crashes
where there are certainly many orders of magnitude more near misses,
crashes and fatalities.

- John

Old April 2nd 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Seems to me there's a statement in the FARs regarding transponders along the
lines of "aircraft with engine-driven electrical systems" or similar.
Gliders are exempt by default since they generally don't have engines. Same
with classic or simple airplanes that have no generators or alternators.