Block Island (KBID)

Old October 8th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Default Block Island (KBID)

I'm planning a day trip to Block Island. First thing I notice is that
there appears not to be fuel available. Has anyone been there recently
who can confirm this?

Any ideas or suggestions about the trip. I don't know anyone there, and
will be looking for things to do. I'm presently planning on doing some
hiking, and some eating, and perhaps some more eating.

Brad
Old October 8th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

My favorite destination. There is no fuel at BID. Westerly or Providence
nearby have fuel.

There's a $10 landing fee. They used to rarely charge it, but they have been
charging the last couple of years. The "downtown" area is about a mile and a
half away. You can walk or get a cab for $6. There are several restaurants
in that area, but most might be closed by now. The Mohegan is open year
round. There is also a small restaurant on the field. I'm not sure if you'll
be able to rent bikes or scooters at this time of year, but you still might.
The taxis will bring you on a tour if you want. Not sure if they charge
extra for this, but I don't think they do. They can't charge more than $6,
but I think that goes up a buck or 2 for more than 1 person. A lot of times
they don't even charge that. They are all private and I've found them always
extremely friendly and helpful. There is also a small zoo near the downtown
area. The cabby can tell you where it is. Don't know if the gift shops are
open this time of year.

Runway is 10-28. Approaches are easy and they don't seem to get all bent out
of shape if you do a flying tour of the island. Traffic shouldn't be too bad
this time of year.

Have a good time. Check it out in the summer. It's a great place and they
welcome tourists, unlike Nantucket or Martha's Vinyard. Nantucket, in my
experience, is almost openly hostile to tourists-at least they have been on
the 3 occasions that I've been there.

mike

Old October 8th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

There is no fuel at BID. It's too expensive to bring in to the island,
given all the rigamarole required for transport and the limited market.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 8th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

bsalai wrote:
I'm planning a day trip to Block Island. First thing I notice is that
there appears not to be fuel available. Has anyone been there recently
who can confirm this?

There is indeed no fuel available. It's an island. Everything has to come
in by plane or by boat.

Any ideas or suggestions about the trip.

Make sure you plan on getting there with enough fuel to get back :-)

I don't know anyone there, and will be looking for things to do. I'm
presently planning on doing some hiking, and some eating, and perhaps
some more eating.

It's a nice walk into downtown, where you will find an assortment of
restaurants and shops.
Old October 9th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
me[_1_]

Block Islands only runway will be closed either this Tuesday or Wednesday
for maintenance work according to what I was told by the fbo. I think it
will be closed for a while.

Old October 9th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Thanks everyone for the information. I will check the closure to be
sure, but it looks like I will have to find another place to go for this
particular trip.

Brad

Old October 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

bsalai wrote:
Thanks everyone for the information. I will check the closure to be
sure, but it looks like I will have to find another place to go for this
particular trip.

Now that we're in the off season, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket would
be a nice place to go. Both have restaurants on the field and would
make for a fun day trip. Where are you flying in from?

Old October 9th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Don't rule BID out. A couple of years ago they were working on the runway,
but it was just a crack filling operation. They required prior permission-1
hour in advance. I called them and they told me to radio in about 10 or 15
minutes ahead so they could clear the runway. 3 or 4 other planes were about
to turn around when they heard me call, and followed me in. Doesn't sound
like a repaving operation if it's just going to be 1 day. They might just be
filling cracks again.

mike

P.S. If you do go to Nantucket, be sure to at least LOOK rich. And hide your
camera if you bring one.

news

Old October 11th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 21:05:20 -0400, "me" wrote:

Block Islands only runway will be closed either this Tuesday or Wednesday
for maintenance work according to what I was told by the fbo. I think it
will be closed for a while.

That's what I had heard, possibly a repave! Woo-hoo!

I called, and they are closed, for at least 45 days, possibly as much
ass 75. The fellow I spoke with said they are moving the runway 60 feet
to one side. I haven't been there, so I can't say which way, but he
suggested it was for safety reasons.

Brad
Old October 11th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Kingfish wrote:
bsalai wrote:
Thanks everyone for the information. I will check the closure to be
sure, but it looks like I will have to find another place to go for this
particular trip.

Now that we're in the off season, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket would
be a nice place to go. Both have restaurants on the field and would
make for a fun day trip. Where are you flying in from?

I'll be coming from Rochester NY. I've never been to either. Which would
you suggest as a first trip. I've heard that they are not all that glad
to have all the tourists, at least in the summer. Perhaps that will be
different this time of year. I was also thinking about Provincetown, but
it has literally been 30 years since I was last there, and I hear it has
changed a lot.