First solos!

Old January 25th 04, 12:37 AM
Roger Worden

Default First solos!

I had my first solos today - a great experience! After several pattern tows
and a rope break practice, I had an 800' pattern solo and a 2000' tow under
a very low ceiling - cold front moving in. Had to dodge a few clouds right
after release. Very fun! I'm with Orange County Soaring Assn., flying at
Hemet-Ryan airport in California. Before solo I had 56 flights, 12.5 hours.
I'm 44 and started training in April 2003 (with several long breaks).

The only difference I noticed with only one person in the plane was that
right after takeoff the glider wanted to climb faster, and I needed to hold
it down to wait for the towplane to take off. Other than that, it felt very
natural and I really wasn't nervous at all - just excited. One landing was
very good and the other was - well - a little squirrely.

And since it was cold, they gave me a break - no bucket of water!

Roger Worden
Orange, CA

Old January 25th 04, 12:51 AM
Vaughn

"Roger Worden" wrote in message
m...
I had my first solos today - a great experience!

Congratulations! and welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of the
aviator. You have many more exciting "firsts" ahead of you, but you will
never forget your first solo.

Vaughn

Old January 25th 04, 01:51 AM
Tim Ward

[...]

Congratulations. You didn't find it quieter without the noisemaker in the
back?

Tim Ward

Old January 25th 04, 02:09 AM
BMacLean

Congratulations! I did my training up to private at Hemet quite a few years
ago with Galen. Is he still there?

Barb

Old January 25th 04, 04:12 AM
Vorsanger1

Congratulations, Roger

You are an airman!. Now you can look forward to all the "firsts", what with
the "real" soaring season starting soon in So. Cal: first climb solo to 10,000
ft, then 11,000 etc... etc...and the first time you actually leave the home
airport.

Cheers, Charles
Old January 25th 04, 05:31 AM
Libelle Driver

Yes, he is still there. He checked me out a few weeks ago to be able to
rent their Grob 102.