Losing a wing in flight?

Old November 4th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default Losing a wing in flight?

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6LjeAEPJk
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Old November 4th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

cavelamb himself wrote:

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6LjeAEPJk

Oh yeah...

http://www.reggiepaulk.com/2008/10/k...buzz-with.html

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old November 4th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

cavelamb himself wrote:
[ Link moved to top: ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6LjeAEPJk

This is the "original" Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCbkBfdBrQ

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

No.

Or is it doctored?

Yes. It is a viral marketing for the website killathrill.com.
In the link I gave, look closely to see what happens at:

:17 secs: Why did the wing break off so silently!? All sorts of
other wonderful background sounds can be heard - why not that!?

:19 secs: "Where's his right wing?" Gee - 2 seconds after a wing
comes off during a spin, a person near the camera immediately knows
which wing came off and is specific about it. Yeah, right.

:52 secs: The Piper(?) in the background would have to be huge to
appear nearly the same size as the foreground plane. Now if the plane
with the missing wing was a RC model or computer graphic....

:53 to :55 secs: Gee, what's happening to the rear wheel? Comes and
goes like a ghost. Now _why_ do you suppose that is?

I'm sure there are other hints.

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real.

If you check out the "more info" of the "original" Youtube link I gave
above you will see various keywords that include the alleged name of the
pilot: "James Andersson". It isn't hard to locate his alleged web page
which includes a "post accident" interview:

http://www.jamesandersson.com/video01.html

But after much searching I've determined there has never been anyone by
that name in the Red Bull races. (I even sent a message to "James" using
that web site's contact page. Never got back a response.) I'm not the
only one who came to the conclusion it's bull: scroll down to message 8
on this web page and read a deeper analysis into the techniques used:

http://boards.historychannel.com/top...Best/520020011
Old November 4th 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

cavelamb himself wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6LjeAEPJk

Oh yeah...

http://www.reggiepaulk.com/2008/10/k...huge-buzz-with
.html

Debunked using just two stills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J72y_qFV2oc
Old November 4th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Jim Logajan wrote:

But after much searching I've determined there has never been anyone by
that name in the Red Bull races. (I even sent a message to "James" using
that web site's contact page. Never got back a response.) I'm not the
only one who came to the conclusion it's bull: scroll down to message 8
on this web page and read a deeper analysis into the techniques used:

http://boards.historychannel.com/top...Best/520020011

I figered it out after posting the first one.
My second has the link to the actual event.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old November 4th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

cavelamb himself wrote:
I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6LjeAEPJk

Here you can decide for yourself...

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A..._199096-1.html

Scott
Old November 6th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry D. Cosby

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real

This incident is fake, however Rockwell Collins is currently working on this
very subject. The following link has a video showing an F-18 scale model
flying with 60 % of the wing missing.
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/...tolerance.html

Old November 6th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
"Larry D. Cosby" lcosby at knology dot net wrote:

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real

This incident is fake, however Rockwell Collins is currently working on this
very subject. The following link has a video showing an F-18 scale model
flying with 60 % of the wing missing.
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/...tolerance.html

AFAICT, this incident isn't a fake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EXtBEaBbs

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old November 6th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
"Larry D. Cosby" lcosby at knology dot net wrote:

I can't decide.

Did this really happen?

Or is it doctored?

Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
doesn't look real

This incident is fake, however Rockwell Collins is currently working on this
very subject. The following link has a video showing an F-18 scale model
flying with 60 % of the wing missing.
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/...tolerance.html

AFAICT, this incident isn't a fake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EXtBEaBbs

Uh, ok, what part of it is not fake?

It's a History Channel dramatization!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old November 6th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"Larry D. Cosby" lcosby at knology dot net wrote in message

| I can't decide.
|
| Did this really happen?
|
| Or is it doctored?
|
| Too much important stuff happens off screen, and the landing
| doesn't look real
|
| This incident is fake, however Rockwell Collins is currently working on
this
| very subject. The following link has a video showing an F-18 scale model
| flying with 60 % of the wing missing.
| http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/...tolerance.html

Back in the mid to late 70s, there was a story published nationally, I
believe in Flying Magazine. IIRC, an instructor in a 150 survived a mid air
after loosing all the wing past the strut.

I think he found himself in a dive immediately after impact, and had to
maintain something like 140 knots with almost full control deflection, to
keep the wings level back to the airport. I don't recall him actually being
in the pattern when the accident took place, but he was at least close
enough to make the runway at 140 knots.

Flight Wing Size Changes? Charles Talleyrand Naval Aviation 10 May 21st 07 01:27 AM
Losing an old friend cjcampbell Piloting 7 May 23rd 06 05:48 AM
Losing an old friend cjcampbell Owning 7 May 23rd 06 05:48 AM
Losing my Clearcoat Robert M. Gary Piloting 9 March 3rd 04 07:36 PM
Flexible Wing Flight patrick timony Military Aviation 6 September 16th 03 03:28 PM