MSFS X impressions

Old January 2nd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default MSFS X impressions

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com

On the Kiwi, with its 104" screen, 20 FPS is absolutely awful. Sadly,
I've seen FSX drop below that for a moment or two, so it's really not
usable in every flight regime.

I'm still experimenting to find the breaking point on my system and haven't
tried setting a higher target fps, yet. Also, I'm running it on a much
smaller screen so lower fps values are more tolerable.

What are the specs for the Kiwi (CPU, RAM, video)? I don't see them on your
Kiwi home page.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old January 2nd 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jay you have to add this to the Kiwi.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

I know -- isn't that cool?

I may add it, eventually, to our Kiwi . But, for the time being,
remember the Kiwi is a prototype of several more that we want to
install at the Iowa Children's Musuem. As such, we're trying to
evaluate different aspects of the design for use in a museum setting,
with no one "running" it, and kids jumping on it.

The TrackIR would last about two minutes in the hands of a five year
old. Thus, they're not going to be considered at this time.

But when we're done evaluating... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 2nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stan Singer

On 1 Jan 2007 20:14:30 -0800, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I finally got around to installing the copy of MSFS X that's been
sitting on my shelf for about 2 months. I must say I've very
underwhelmed.

How much disk space does it require once installed. As I recollect when I saw it in the store it
said 15GB, but I couldn't tell if that was just required for the install process, or that was the
minimum for the final installed product.

Stan
Old January 2nd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Funny you should ask -- I just wrote this page, this morning:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. Gardner

From my old days in USAF Flight Sim, 30 FPS is as slow as you can go and not
see the flicker or effect, some can even pick it up here.

I installed it on a system for a local CAP unit, my first impression is that
it is an absolute system hog, and I will stick with FS2004, even though I
now have a to end duel core AMD with a near to end graphic card. I can't
imagine it will be enough to run it the way I would like to see it.

Since it was designed for the new Vista I wonder if that might help? I am
not going to waste the money to see, MS has burned to meny people with there
poorly designed programs....

Ron Gardner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
It was many reports like yours that gave me significant pause in
purchasing
FSX, but it turns out my trepidation was unwarranted. I've turned all
display settings to High with a target frame rate of 20 and the worse
volatility I've noticed was a very momentary drop to 16 fps (press
"shift-Z"
a few times to display your fps). That's not enough for me to have
noticed
any "stutter".

On the Kiwi, with its 104" screen, 20 FPS is absolutely awful. Sadly,
I've seen FSX drop below that for a moment or two, so it's really not
usable in every flight regime.

I've found that 30 FPS is the minimum for realistic landings, and 50
FPS is the minimum for realistic formation flying. In FS9 I've got
the Kiwi "locked" at 55 FPS, which results in an absolutely perfect
rendition of flight, with instantaneous control input/reaction.

If I set the realism a bit lower in FSX, it is acceptable. This allows
us to fly the cool new aircraft and "missions", which are quite fun.
However, for realism, we'll be sticking to FS9 until Microsoft figures
out a way to make FSX run faster.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com

Funny you should ask -- I just wrote this page, this morning:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm

Coupla questions:
1. How much memory on your video card?
2. Do you have a pic of the "instrument panel" in bright light? I'm
interested in how you attached it to the frame.
3. Do you have casters or wheels on the rig to make it easy to put away?

Old January 3rd 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Stan Singer" wrote in message

How much disk space does it require once installed. As I recollect
when I saw it in the store it said 15GB, but I couldn't tell if that
was just required for the install process, or that was the minimum
for the final installed product.

The full install on my system ("Standard Edition") is 12.7 GB.

Old January 3rd 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

John T wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com

Funny you should ask -- I just wrote this page, this morning:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm

Coupla questions:
1. How much memory on your video card?
2. Do you have a pic of the "instrument panel" in bright light? I'm
interested in how you attached it to the frame.
3. Do you have casters or wheels on the rig to make it easy to put away?

Q: Is there a memory limit as to how much RAM Windows XP will use?

ie: The specs on my computer say "up to 2GB". It came with 2x256 (512mb)
and I just purchased 2x1GB and installed them. The computer says that it
has 2.49GB RAM, but will it actually access that additional 0.5GB and be
able to use it?

Old January 3rd 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Coupla questions:
1. How much memory on your video card?

Hmmmm... I seem to have omitted that important detail. The video card
is 512 MB.

2. Do you have a pic of the "instrument panel" in bright light? I'm
interested in how you attached it to the frame.

Right now it's sitting on a plastic patio table. My A&P is working on
creating a bracket for the monitor that will bolt to the Kiwi's frame
-- but he's been too busy with real work lately. He's recovering a
couple of Taylorcraft, and has just put the wings on his homebuilt P6
Hawk replica -- so he hasn't been able to fire up the torch.

3. Do you have casters or wheels on the rig to make it easy to put away?

Yep. The whole contraption can be wheeled like a wheel-barrow whenever
we actually have a meeting in the meeting room.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA