Type ratings.

Old July 7th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Type ratings.

On Jul 6, 5:50 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but ..........
How do you get type rated on aircraft that are not easily available for
hire? I mean for example, say I did all my training in a Cessna 152. I
wouldn't be type rated for a 182 would I? So, I want to get a 182 type
rating, but no airfield near me has one for hire or training. If I know
another pilot that owns one, can I just get an instructor to give me a check
ride in the friends a/c?
Not sure I explained that correctly.
Imagine I have done all my training in a Skyfox, and I want to buy say a
Tecnam. If nobody has a Tecnam for hire, how do I get my rating for it?
Crash Lander

--http://straightandlevel1973.spaces.live.com/
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

What country are you in?

Old July 7th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
What country are you in?

Australia

Old July 7th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

john hawkins wrote:
Well sorta in the USA:
Type & category

We call that CLASS in the USA of the
CATEGORY Airplane.

182 is a TYPE, but we just don't require a type rating.

Old July 8th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Sleeman

On Jul 7, 1:50 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:
For example, I might want to buy a Karatoo. (Ultralight 2 seater)
I've flown a Gazelle ultralight 2 seater, and that is the only a/c I can

.... as almost everybody has said, varies country to country.
However.

The general answer to this chicken-egg problem would probably be, if
you can't find an instructor with experience in the type, then an
instructor of suitable seniority should be able to effectively type
rate themselves before type rating you.

If all else fails, for the Karatoo, if you feel like a trip to rather
cold and wintery NZ (Christchurch in particular), I could point you to
a senior (NZ Microlight) instructor who owns a Karatoo, don't know if
your regs would recognise that though.