Buried...

Old December 2nd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Buried...

....in ice.

It's been coming down here all day. I've gone through 50+ pounds of
ice melt, and bought another 40 pounds this afternoon. NO ONE has
flown in or out of Iowa City all day, and we've taken cancellations at
about the same rate as people are stumbling in off the road. One poor
woman did a 360 degree donut right in front of the hotel. She came in
and rented a suite right then and there.

Our only dim hope: The temperature just broke the freezing mark, up
from 23 earlier today. Hopefully the forecasters are correct and
temps will continue to rise overnight...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 2nd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Walt

Ice sucks. High today here at my house was around +15F, been snowing
lightly all day and I shoveled about 6 inches of snow. But the snow is
"cold smoke" and not hard to get rid of.

Theoretically I could go flying today but... well... I'm just a wimp.

Besides, in this kind of weather there are so many more fun things to
do.

Like... shoveling snow...

--Walt
Bozeman, Montana

Old December 2nd 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Jay.. it sucks to have to deal with ice and snow..
but at least from the business perspective.. your cancellations are being
covered by walk (slide) ins.

BT

Old December 2nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Jay Honeck wrote:
...in ice.

Okay, I know it's nothing like ice/snow, but it rained for a
day-and-a-half straight here in Arizona! This is NOT the winter
weather the "snowbirds" flock here for.
Old December 2nd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Shirl wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

...in ice.

Okay, I know it's nothing like ice/snow, but it rained for a
day-and-a-half straight here in Arizona! This is NOT the winter
weather the "snowbirds" flock here for.

Ok all of you guys, stop bragging!! I'll take your water (frozen or
not) and if you can send some of it to my place in NC I'll be really
happy. It LOOKS like the pink on the radar is splitting and going
around us. No rain, no nothing.

Margy
Old December 2nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Spent the afternoon at the hanger.
It started to snow around 1pm, by the time I left to go home at 5pm it was
6-8" deep on the level with drifts in front of some hangers over 2 feet.
Driving was purely IFR. Forward vis was about 200 feet, traffic on the
freeway was down to 30mph. I was concentrating so hard on trying to see the
car in front of me that I drove right past my exit. By the time I got to
the next exit, I'd decided that I'd never get down the road to our house,
even in our 4wd Tahoe. The only way I'd make it home was to divert to our
farm shop, leave the Tahoe and drive a plow truck home, which I did. And
thank goodness I did, because I had to plow my way down our road to the
house. Even the heavy 4wd plow truck couldn't make it through the drifts
without plowing first.

What a mess.... now it's snailing or snaining and the wind hasn't let up.

Jim

Old December 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote

Okay, I know it's nothing like ice/snow, but it rained for a
day-and-a-half straight here in Arizona! This is NOT the winter weather
the "snowbirds" flock here for.

Ok all of you guys, stop bragging!! I'll take your water (frozen or not)
and if you can send some of it to my place in NC I'll be really happy. It
LOOKS like the pink on the radar is splitting and going around us. No
rain, no nothing.

And the lake levels just keep getting lower. Lower than many have been
since they were filled, many years ago.

People's docks are sitting on the mud, and if you didn't take your boat out
a month ago, it will probably have to stay in, or have it lifted out at a
marina. Most of the boat launches are way above the current water level.

If the recreational part is not bad enough, some municipalities are down to
measuring their drinking water reserves in days....

Margy's right. The rain approaches, and splits and goes to the North and/or
the South.

Bring on the ice, snow, freezing rain, rain, or anything that is wet. We'll
take it!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 2nd 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jim Burns" wrote in message ...
What a mess.... now it's snailing or snaining and the wind hasn't let up.

Jim

Snaining? First time I ever heard that term. It's rowing here...