A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

Old March 26th 11, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

Default Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Friday, March 25, 2011 10:41:58 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Sad thing is the AOPA site never mention the obvious error that if he
had turned left rather than right he could have used the cross runway
in a smooth 270 degree turn rather than the 360 degree turn required
to go back to the same runway.

I assume you meant 180, then reverse 90 :-)

I would also think that a left turn would make more sense just because the pilot is on the left side of the plane, so can see better in that direction.. I see his first reaction was to push the nose forward, then a few seconds later the turn was started. During that time, I would be looking to both sides to choose the best direction. Of course, as a sailplane pilot, I would already have a turn direction chosen...

I got my airplane license after a few hundred hours in the glider. My first instructor pulled power on me in the practice area early every time. I always managed to set it up for a survivable landing. And this in a Grumman AA-1 Lynx, quite the flying brick. Next had me do most of my dual XC under the hood, and often at 1000' AGL so there would be more turbulence. He also pulled power on me a few times, but because we were so low, it was usually over an airport, but I didn't know that until I took the hood off.

Of course, given the option to analyze the situation before it happens is a HUGE help for us, which this pilot didn't get! I've had to think quickly on a few occasions, and although the outcome was always acceptable, I could easily do much better if given a second chance.

-Tom
Old March 26th 11, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

On Mar 25, 8:20*pm, 5Z wrote:
On Friday, March 25, 2011 10:41:58 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Sad thing is the AOPA site never mention the obvious error that if he
had turned left rather than right he could have used the cross runway
in a smooth 270 degree turn rather than the 360 degree turn required
to go back to the same runway.

I assume you meant 180, then reverse 90 :-)

I would also think that a left turn would make more sense just because the pilot is on the left side of the plane, so can see better in that direction. *I see his first reaction was to push the nose forward, then a few seconds later the turn was started. *During that time, I would be looking to both sides to choose the best direction. *Of course, as a sailplane pilot, I would already have a turn direction chosen...

I got my airplane license after a few hundred hours in the glider. *My first instructor pulled power on me in the practice area early every time. *I always managed to set it up for a survivable landing. *And this in a Grumman AA-1 Lynx, quite the flying brick. *Next had me do most of my dual XC under the hood, and often at 1000' AGL so there would be more turbulence. *He also pulled power on me a few times, but because we were so low, it was usually over an airport, but I didn't know that until I took the hood off.

Of course, given the option to analyze the situation before it happens is a HUGE help for us, which this pilot didn't get! *I've had to think quickly on a few occasions, and although the outcome was always acceptable, I could easily do much better if given a second chance.

-Tom

Actually I meant 360 degrees, 270 degrees right followed by 90 left.
If you look at the video he flew closer to 400 degrees of turns. I
agree with the rest of your points. The left 260 to 270 would have had
better visibility and he would have had the landing site in view the
entire turn.
Old March 26th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad
external usenet poster

On Mar 25, 10:20*pm, 5Z wrote:
Of course, given the option to analyze the situation before it happens is a HUGE help for us, which this pilot didn't get! *I've had to think quickly on a few occasions, and although the outcome was always acceptable, I could easily do much better if given a second chance.

-Tom

A power failure ( or rope break ) on take off DOES give you the option
to analyze beforehand. A continuous thought is "where will I go if
the power fails ( or rope breaks ) NOW".

You can even stand on the airport and survey the local landing options
before taking off.

Todd
3S