Checklist formats

Old March 23rd 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default Checklist formats

I find my checklist is expanding, and there are some people who have a
sort of 'flip book' attached to the top of the glareshield and I was
wondering if someone could share some details. Other ideas also very
welcome,

Brian
Old March 25th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Mar 23, 9:21*am, brianDG303 wrote:
I find my checklist is expanding, and there are some people who have a
sort of 'flip book' attached to the top of the glareshield and I was
wondering if someone could share some details. *Other ideas also very
welcome,

Brian

Kempton Izuno first showed me the flipbook style checklist in his
cockpit. It was large and readable, positioned right in front of the
pilot. There were multiple lists for landing, takeoff, cross country,
etc. Most importantly, it flipped completely out of the way when not
needed.

I planned to write a little article for Soaring on how to do this, but
never got around to it. Your request inspired me to dig out the
photos of how to make a flipbook checklist and throw them on a website
to share. Please visit:

http://web.me.com/glideplan/Glider_Checklist_Flip_Book

Comments and suggestions can be left below the images if you double
click on them, or here, if you prefer. Feedback encouraged.

Matt Jr.
Old March 25th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Mar 25, 10:03*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
[...]

Thanks Matt,

Could we talk you into adding the text for each of your checklist
pages? If you'd rather not provide grist for the RAS mill, a pm would
be fine.

Craig
Old March 25th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Mar 25, 10:46*am, Craig wrote:
[...]

sure.

Usual disclaimer: This info is for your entertainment, and likely not
suitable for your glider or your particular needs.

Pre-flight

1. Assembly and airframe OK
2. Wings taped and clean
3. Ballast, water, balance OK
4. Parachute
5. Seat, belts & pedals adjusted
6. Batteries in, GPS on
7. PC, waypoints, declare
8. Radio check, X-ponder, ELT on
9. Water, hat, sunscreen
10. Maps, food, barf bags, O2
11. Positive control check
12. Final walk around

Take-off

1. Tail dolly, Ballast
2. Belts secure
3. Flaps to (-1)
4. Controls free, Trim set
5. Altimeter set
6. Radio freq & vol
7. Towrope OK
8. Canopy locked, Vents
9. Wind
10. Emergency plans
11. Traffic
12. Spoilers

Landing

1. Water Ballast?
2. Radio: Pos.-Alt.-Intent
3. Wind (radio airfield?)
4. Traffic
5. Gear down, locked
6. Radio: pattern entry
7. Flaps to (L or +2)
8. Airspeed trimmed
9. Spoilers

Cross Country/Wave

1. Water Ballast
2. Landout kit and cell phone
3. Ground crew arrangements
4. Appropriate clothing
5. Test oxygen
6. Check weather
7. Maps and navigation
8. Food, water, cash
9. Relief system
10. Task declaration
11. Wave window
Old March 25th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Mar 25, 1:48*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
On Mar 25, 10:46*am, Craig wrote:

[...]

Thank you Matt, Eric Greenwell also sent me the original Kempton
format and now I everything I need. An item I will add: TE PROBE
INSTALLED. I forget every 100 flights or so.

Old March 25th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

I learned from Karl Striedeck that you should have a post-flight
checklist that includes items to take out of the sailplane including
wallet, batteries, logger, maps, turnpoint data, water, food (no
mice!), reading glasses, pee thang, etc.
Add any special rigging tools and pins that you want back into the
fuselage, not left on the ground after an off-airport retrieve, in the
dark, in the rain.
You can add more -- some are especially important if you de-rig every
night.
Digging wallet out of the fuselage inside trailer in the dark, or in
the rain . . . been there.

Old March 26th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 25, 4:44*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
I learned from Karl Striedeck that you should have a post-flight
checklist that includes items to take out of the sailplane including
wallet, batteries, logger, maps, turnpoint data, water, food (no
mice!), reading glasses, pee thang, etc.
Add any special rigging tools and pins that you want back into the
fuselage, not left on the ground after an off-airport retrieve, in the
dark, in the rain.
You can add more -- some are especially important if you de-rig every
night.
Digging wallet out of the fuselage inside trailer in the dark, or in
the rain . . . been there.

Agree - I have a written checklist for pre and post flight items.
Leaving a parachute or battery at home is very inconvenient. Being on
the contest grid without the task sheet or chart similarly so.

However I have never used a written checklist, or action list, for
takeoff or landing in a glider. The check list goes away before I get
in and does not come out again until I'm back at the trailer.

No doubt people miss required actions when under pressure, but does a
checklist help in single pilot operations? Crews of military aircraft
and of large civil transport aircraft are required to memorize the
required response for all situations requiring immediate action. Only
after the sequence has been executed is it confirmed by use of a
checklist. Even routine tasks such as cockpit preparation are
performed without a check list, typically using a "flow" technique.
Only when it is all done is the the checklist used for confirmation.

I'm still capable of remembering a mnemonic action list long enough to
cover a glider pre-takeoff or landing check. When I can't remember
the list I'll probably be too old, fatigued, dehydrated, or scared to
remember to get the checklist out.

Andy

Old March 26th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Mar 26, 12:09*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

I totally agree with Andy. I'm amazed with the length of some of
these inflight glider checklists - which are more "reminders of how to
fly" than actual checklists.

Do you really need to be told to lookout? To trim?

This has been beat to death here before, but IMHO shorter is better:
CBSIFTCBE before taking off, and (for me) WWW before landing (Wind
Water Wheel). I don't need a piece of paper to remember those (yet!)

The rest is just good aviating.

Cheers (from snowy St Louis)

Kirk 66
Old March 27th 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iwona Leszczynska

For me there are two Check Lists worth making:

1. I’m Living my Home (Hotel) to Airport Check List.
This List protect me from forgetting anything I will need during
the flying day.

2. I’m Ready to Sit into Glider Check List ( Start Line)
This List assure me that the glider is ready to fly, and all I
need during the flight is in the cockpit.

Old March 27th 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

This has been beat to death here before, but IMHO shorter is better:
CBSIFTCBE before taking off, and (for me) WWW before landing (Wind
Water Wheel). *I don't need a piece of paper to remember those (yet!)

The rest is just good aviating.

Cheers (from snowy St Louis)

Kirk 66

I have never been able to memorize what CBSIFTCBE is supposed to mean
and a written checklist seems a perfect way for the pre-takeoff check
to be made.

(W)USTALL might have a couple of redundant checks, but it's short and
easy to remember.

Todd
3S

Checklist Larry D. Cosby Piloting 148 March 29th 08 04:10 AM
SSA convention schedule in electronic formats Darryl Ramm Soaring 0 February 12th 08 05:49 PM
GPS Visualizer update: calculators, new maps & file formats Adam Schneider Soaring 0 May 6th 05 08:51 AM
747-100 Checklist Bartscher General Aviation 0 December 18th 04 07:20 PM
C-180 100 hr checklist ConchyJoe Owning 1 May 3rd 04 11:53 PM