Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Old April 12th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

On Apr 11, 6:18*pm, Jim wrote:
It’s also saving my back.

Before the Ipad, I carried volumes of company manuals,
aircraft manuals, books, magazines, and
other things made of dead trees, my bag weighed a ton.

Sometimes I even play Angry Birds.

Jim

And airline pilots can take notes them at company meetings where they
discuss equipping everybody EFBs :-)

Darryl
Old April 12th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/11/2011 7:49 PM, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:
All this talk about ipads, software, charts, panels, instruments,
levers, flaps, brakes, trailers, rules, sectionals, ad infinitum makes
me long for my hang glider daze when I flew with zero moving parts and
one instrument; a vario with a little needle that moved up or down.
That's it, for hours. That was real freedom. It's no wonder that young
people find it hard to get revved up about soaring given its myriad of
associated hassles. They are all out on the paragliding/hang gliding
hills.

I think a hang glider has at least three moving parts: the pilot,
retractable gear, and the glider. I'm not convinced 3 axis control and
spoilers makes a sailplane harder to fly than a hang glider!

The person starting out doesn't see or get involved in this most of this
stuff. They show up at the field, they go flying with an instructor,
they ooh and aah over the private ships and their magnificent pilots,
and dream of doing some of it. The complications are added later, and
slowly, as the pilot progress. It's not dumped on them from day one.

I've talked to former hang glider pilots that moved to sailplanes, and
they've said "it's easier and less hassle to fly sailplanes". Not at the
beginning, perhaps, but once you start cross-country. Both sports are
simple if you hang around the hill or the airport. Nobody needs iPads,
software, trailers, contest rules, sectionals, ad infinitum to fly locally.

We have to dig deeper than discussions of iPads to understand why young
people might choose hang/paragliding over sailplanes. I suspect young
people really LIKE the idea of using an iPad, so I don't see that as
discouraging them.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old April 13th 11, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

--
Eric Greenwell

There might be a lot of youngsters flying paragliders, but hang
gliders are just as full of old farts as sailplanes. The exact same
conversations we have about how to keep the sport from "aging" has
been heard in the HG forums.

Todd
ex HG pilot
Old April 16th 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Stock

Jim wrote:
Its also saving my back.

Before the Ipad, I carried volumes of company manuals,
aircraft manuals, books, magazines, and
other things made of dead trees, my bag weighed a ton.

Sometimes I even play Angry Birds.

Jim

BTW, NewsTap is a good usenet reader... I am using it now... it will do
offline reading so to can read and reply even when you dont have a
connection.. just like the old days.
Old December 10th 13, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi guys

Can anyone share some pix on how to attach a tab to the cockpit? Do you make use of a normal cover and just velcro the back to the cockpit or would you suggest making a pocket for it to fit into to keep it safe?
I've recently bought a 7" tab that I wish to use with XCSoar.. don't want it to fall off the cockpit now..

Regards,
Bruce
Old December 10th 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 8, 2011 1:58:09 AM UTC-7, nimbus wrote:
Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

Take a look at how many people are using "ForeFlight" in powered aircraft. I use it in my IPAD w/retna screen but not in a glider because at 6'1", there is no place to put it. But now there is the IPAD Mini w/Retna which might work in the sun but I have not tried the mini out yet but it's on my Christmas list
Old December 10th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use a universal car mount that I bought at WalMart for my 5" Dell Streak.
It has geard side pieces to adjust to the width of the device and swing out
"feet" to support the device from below. I also use velcro on the back just
to be sure, and it's never come out of the holder.

To attach the holder in the cockpit, I cut off the car mounting base and,
using 2 Adel clamps, attached it to the side of my panel where it is
securely held and does not block any of the instruments. Of course, a 7"
device might block something.

Old December 10th 13, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WinPilot

Bruno,

Here are the links to gliding software (WinPilot) that runs on an iPad:

For Europe:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...539701244&mt=8

For the USA:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/winpilo...540473050?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...643348142&mt=8

The software can run either stand alone (you will need a version of the iPad with a built in gps), or connected to your existing flight computer - you will need a connection module like this one:
http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/bu...rface-for-apps

If you have a Butterfly vario, WinPilot will connect to it natively, including the Climb Maximizer.

Have fun!

Jerry