Boots for cold weather Soaring

Old January 6th 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Boots for cold weather Soaring

On 1/5/2012 5:37 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Looks nice, especially the "L" and "R" labels.
I always get those confused...
Are these sold in USA ?
Thanks !

You are supposed to put the same markings on your feet (or, your hands,
if you wear socks on your feet), not just the boots.

email me)
Old January 6th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Barnard[_2_]

I wear my Sorel boot liners only w/o the boots and carry walking shoes
in the glider. The felt is flexible enough to not hinder pedal
operation. I change out of my shoes just before entering the glider.
Inside the Sorel liners I use the foot warmers called Thermal Soles
($100US). Lithium battery shoe soles that maintain 98F so you never
get overheated. Only about 8mm thick at the heal and 3 everywhere
else. Very well made and last 8+ hours. This combo works excellent. I
plan to try the warmers in normal shoes instead of the felts. You
just missed the window to put these on your holiday gift list. ~Bruce

Old January 6th 12, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Bruce - Are these the battery-powered inserts you use ?
http://www.verseo.com/thermosoles.html
Thanks !
Old January 6th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Plenty of room? Well, then, try Bunny Boots. Over 1,000 hours of Arctic
flying during my Air Force days and never a cold foot. Great in snow, and
provide plenty of ankle support should you need to use the "nylon
letdown"... http://www.loadup.com/us-military-ba...ots-white.html

"Dave Nadler" wrote in message
Further to above:
- looking for waterproof, suitable for wear
on ground before and after flight,
- plenty of room in Antares for big boots.

Thanks all !

Old January 7th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

I found a pair of mountaineering overboots at the used gear store in
North Conway during wave camp one year. You might check out the
outdoor catalogs. They slip over your normal boots or shoes.
Old January 7th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

These work for me ... http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ootie-iii.html

Obviously like all large boots make sure there is space around the rudder pedals, while the Antares should be fine my ASH-26E can get tight.

These are not hiking boots but more err on the very comfortable and warm side. If I was on a serious XC or worried about a landout I'd throw a pair of hiking shoes/boots into the back.

Darryl
Old January 7th 12, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Dave

Also with all that electrical power you can plug in some boot heaters. These are very good.... http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php

Darryl
Old January 7th 12, 01:11 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nadler View Post
Looks nice, especially the "L" and "R" labels.
I always get those confused...
Are these sold in USA ?
Thanks !
Yeah, we wouldn't want to have the R on the L and the L on the R. Are you guys serious though? I have trouble getting my Addidas clad hooves on the pedals in a 1-34.

Walt
Old January 10th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Barnard[_2_]

On Jan 6, 8:41*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
Bruce - Are these the battery-powered inserts you use ?http://www.verseo.com/thermosoles.html
Thanks !

Dave,
Yes they are. Sorry for the delay, I was away from technology for a
few days. They have their own site also: www.thermosoles.com.
They're very well made, I'm on my third year with them and no problems
at all. I also use them for ice boating, which is about as cold as it
gets. You're either standing on ice or going 60mph without a cockpit.
~BB
Old January 10th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Barnard[_2_]

On Jan 6, 8:41*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
Bruce - Are these the battery-powered inserts you use ?http://www.verseo.com/thermosoles.html
Thanks !

I forgot to mention that the Thermo-Soles fit inside sneakers quite
well, I just haven't flown with that combo yet.

Cold Weather PreHeating Peter R. Owning 22 February 12th 07 07:57 PM
Cold weather starting. Mike Noel Owning 17 December 21st 05 03:24 AM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 04:00 PM
Cold weather ops Happy Dog Piloting 13 February 6th 04 06:45 PM
Cold Weather Flying Jose Vivanco Owning 27 October 16th 03 11:27 AM