PowerFlarm v3.40

Old April 22nd 14, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm v3.40

My earlier PCAS issue was an antenna issue. Try another antenna.
I assume you have the latest firmware.

Ramy

Old April 23rd 14, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Following this discussion I took a note to pay attention for traffic alerts at the same altitude. Today my PF alerted me of another plane flying at the same altitude as mine showing 0 altitude difference for at least 10 seconds while the aircraft was at the same altitude. So I suspect the suppression is indeed also based on power level. BTW, I few with Zaon since they first came out nearly 10 years ago. It was never as reliable and accurate as my PF is nowadays.

Ramy
Old April 23rd 14, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:14:46 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
it strikes me funny that nobody seems to have noticed that
it's the "same altitude" aircraft that's going to hit you.

It's not that nobody has noticed. I have posted about this issue before.

The reason FALRM implemented this change is that it is less bad than having continuous alerting to ownship transponder.

Why would you want all transponders at co-altitude to be suppressed?

Because they have not figured out how to suppress the only co-altitude transponder that needs to be suppressed - the one in the same aircraft as the Power FLARM.

Andy
Old April 23rd 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Zaon figured it out years ago. My PCAS does not alert on my transponder.
In fact, with a simple button hit, it displays my squawk code to verify that
it's giving me alerts based upon my transponder altitude rather than its own
internal pressure sensor.

Why can't the PFlarm simply eliminate the most powerful transponder
received? That would have to be your own unless another aircraft is parked
with his transponder antenna closer to your PF antennae than your own
transponder antenna and that ain't bloody likely.

Old April 24th 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:11:32 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Zaon figured it out years ago. My PCAS does not alert on my transponder.

No need to tell me that. I own a ZAON MRX and have used it as the benchmark for side by side testing of Power FLARM mode C alerting. I have reported my results several times on this group.

When the MRX is working it does a very good job of distinguishing between ownship and other transponders. I, and other MRX owners, have had reliability issues though. ZAON gave outstanding customer support and repaired my MRX twice for no change despite the fact it was years out of warranty. There was a time when my MRX did alert to my own transponder. This was caused by 2 factors. First my altitude encoder was unstable with temperature and, second, my transponder had marginal power output.

Since fixing those issues the MRX works as advertised. My Power FLARM portable does not.

I'm tempted to say I wish FLARM supported their customers like ZAON did. However, ZAON is out of business and I hope FLARM does not follow.

Andy
Old April 24th 14, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks for that, Andy. I just must be very lucky having bought one of the
last MRXs. Its performance has been (so far) flawless.