Shipping a glider from western US to Europe

Old June 23rd 14, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Shipping a glider from western US to Europe

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:30:06 PM UTC-4, ES wrote:
Not far off OT. The Swiss Franc is quite strong, so the buyer I have has a wee bit more flexibility wrt shipping costs. We're just trying to unnertand the mechanics.

1) Have inspection done that meets whatever the new jurisdiction requires for an imported aircraft
2) Deregister aircraft in US
3) Talk to logistics company
4) Tie down trailer in container when logistics company arrives. They will pick up anywhere.

2C
Old June 23rd 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Taylor

At 12:10 23 June 2014, Kevin Christner wrote:
On Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:30:06 PM UTC-4, ES wrote:
Not far off OT. The Swiss Franc is quite strong, so the buyer I have

has
a wee bit more flexibility wrt shipping costs. We're just trying to
unnertand the mechanics.

1) Have inspection done that meets whatever the new jurisdiction requires
for an imported aircraft
2) Deregister aircraft in US
3) Talk to logistics company
4) Tie down trailer in container when logistics company arrives. They

will
pick up anywhere.

What are the tax implications for importing a glider from the US? Is there
VAT to pay?

Old June 23rd 14, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:22:53 PM UTC-7, ES wrote:
Glider/trailer needs to get from western Nevada to Switzerland. How does one get started?

Thanks/tuno

My 28 arrived in CA on a roll on roll off ferry. If you can contact the right people to set it up, it should be possible to drive it to CA, kiss it goodbye, and a little later your purchaser goes to the dock, wrangles with customs, and drives it home. Port Hueneme in CA and I think Hamburg were the ports. You may find more information on RORO he

http://www.carshippingworldwide.com/...-off-ports.php

The devil of course is in the details. John Murray may be another possible contact to fill in those details. There have been several discussions on RAS about de-registering before shipping.

Andy
Old June 23rd 14, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:51:01 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

I think Wallenius Wilhelmsen was the company that shipped my 28. They serve Port Hueneme with RORO for cars and other rolling equipment. Mine come over with a batch of BMW Minis.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...cars/index.jsp

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...ment/index.jsp

Andy
Old June 23rd 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Am 23.06.2014 22:30, Andy Taylor wrote:
At 12:10 23 June 2014, Kevin Christner wrote:
On Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:30:06 PM UTC-4, ES wrote:
Not far off OT. The Swiss Franc is quite strong, so the buyer I have

has
a wee bit more flexibility wrt shipping costs. We're just trying to
unnertand the mechanics.

1) Have inspection done that meets whatever the new jurisdiction requires
for an imported aircraft
2) Deregister aircraft in US
3) Talk to logistics company
4) Tie down trailer in container when logistics company arrives. They

will
pick up anywhere.

What are the tax implications for importing a glider from the US? Is there
VAT to pay?

For import from US to CH: 30.00 CHF /100kg gross weight + 8% VAT on
value of the glider.

(Customs tarif number is 8801.0010)

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old June 23rd 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, June 23, 2014 3:17:41 PM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:51:01 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

I think Wallenius Wilhelmsen was the company that shipped my 28. They serve Port Hueneme with RORO for cars and other rolling equipment. Mine come over with a batch of BMW Minis.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...cars/index.jsp

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...ment/index.jsp

Andy

I used W-W for ro-ro many years ago, Southampton, UK, to Houston, TX. However, when my chapter was looking at possible two-seater imports from Europe a couple of years ago, port retrieval and ro-ro turned out to be rather more expensive than container point to point. Road fuel is just more expensive now. We are in Colorado, so using Denver as a port and container ship to rail was cheapest bid. Will vary by location of course. Did the same going the other way many years ago, container from Kansas City, Missouri, by rail to a Great Lakes port, out the St. Lawrence to Felixstowe, UK, all in two weeks. Wasn't cheapest, but most convenient.

Frank Whiteley