Barographs?

Old May 24th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Barographs?

On May 24, 1:52*pm, Tony wrote:

i just saw one used on W&W. *Based on what I paid for my last Replogle
we could have 8 barographs ready to go in club ships, privately owned
single seaters, whatever, for the price of one EW.

Yes, but you're not taking into account the maintenance hassles and
failure rates of the barograph; not to mention the fact that it cannot
be used for all badges (see Kirk's comments).

Don't focus on acquisition cost - focus on the "cost of ownership"
over the long run; not just in dollars but in man-hours and stress,
too. Having been through the Silver Badge rigmarole, in my opinion
NOTHING is more discouraging to a budding XC pilot than to go have a
good flight and then be told it won't be accepted because of a
technicality or instrumentation flaw. Be realistic about how many
people are going on badge flights, and how often they will be doing
so. Chances are that any modest-sized club doesn't really need more
than 1 or 2 logger devices. You're much better off getting a
reliable, simple, self-contained unit that is good for every type of
badge and contest.

If the newer club pilots really get into doing these kinds of flights,
they can go out and get their own logger so that they can post their
flights to the OLC and fly badges and contests whenever they want...
its still a lot cheaper to buy a logger than it is to buy your own
glider!

If you give them old equipment that causes them frustration or lost
flights, they'll give up on both the equipment AND on the flying.

My $0.02,

--Noel

Old May 24th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 24, 1:52*pm, Tony wrote:
On May 24, 3:45*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:

On May 24, 1:39*pm, Tony wrote:

club who are barograph free not to mention the club itself only has 1
barograph but 3 gliders. *I just like the idea of having a few
barographs around in case one of my students or friends are going
flying on a day where a badge leg or state record could be claimed.

Bah, save yourself a ton of trouble. *Buy a self-contained unit like
the ewMicroRecorder. *Its perfect for a club setting, has an internal
battery, a simple on-off switch (and no other complications), and
requires just a standard USB cable (or SD card reader) to download
your flight. *If you want to get "fancy" you can hook it up to a PDA
for a moving-map navigation system; but if you just want to log
flights you only need what comes in the box!

Take care,

--Noel

i just saw one used on W&W. *Based on what I paid for my last Replogle
we could have 8 barographs ready to go in club ships, privately owned
single seaters, whatever, for the price of one EW.- Hide quoted text -

I'll donate my 35mm cameras if you really want to load up with useless
stuff. May even still have an Instamatic but no film available for
those any more. Also have 2 prayer wheels. The 1-26 one should be
about right for the Cherokee.

Andy
Old May 24th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

P.S. I don't know what the price was on W&W, but I'm selling my spare
ewMicroRecorder for $425... They're not expensive when you consider
that's less than 10 aerotows or 2 annual inspections almost anywhere
in the USA!
Old May 24th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On May 24, 4:22*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On May 24, 1:52*pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

oh i know all about barograph failures. I had about 3 or 4 before my
Silver Badge 'stuck'

My first Silver distance and altitude claim as an OO just got approved
yesterday for a club member who was borrowing my barograph. It worked
flawlessly.

In a lot of ways its 6 one way and half dozen another. Another club
member has had 2 diamond altitude flights that he didnt submit because
thanks to the GPS they would've been rejected. Both flights would've
been fine if a Barograph had been used.
Old May 24th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On May 24, 1:39*pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

Andy- Hide quoted text -

Andy -

Turnpoint photos are no longer part of the Sporting Code. Makes life
simpler but forces you to use a flight recorder for Diamond Goal which
is a bummer.
Old May 25th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Tony.. check with "The Badge Lady".. a couple of years ago we were the only
ones to submit a badge claim with a barograph. I think there are two left in
the club. There were some FAI rules changes that may not allow a mechanical
barograph any more.

Calibration requirements with mechanical barographs are a lot more stringent
than with an approved logger.
And turn point photo's are still required for out and back flights.

Bill

"Tony" wrote in message
Anyone have a Barograph or two sitting on a shelf collecting dust? I
would like to put one or two of these relics back into service
generating FAI Badges. Replogle preferred as that is what I have
experience with, however I'll consider any other model. Thanks!

Tony

Old May 25th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On May 24, 6:11*pm, "BT" wrote:
Tony.. check with "The Badge Lady".. a couple of years ago we were the only
ones to submit a badge claim with a barograph. I think there are two left in
the club. There were some FAI rules changes that may not allow a mechanical
barograph any more.

Calibration requirements with mechanical barographs are a lot more stringent
than with an approved logger.
And turn point photo's are still required for out and back flights.

Bill

Bill,

read the sporting code. It was updated last October.

Barographs are still perfectly acceptable for all badge flights except
Diamond Goal. Turn Point photos no longer exist as far as the FAI is
concerned. The only way to fly a pre declared task any more is with a
gps logger.

I recently OO'd a Silver Distance/Altitude flight using a barograph
and it was approved yesterday.
Old May 25th 10, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:52:04 -0700, Tony wrote:

On May 24, 3:45Â*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On May 24, 1:39Â*pm, Tony wrote:

club who are barograph free not to mention the club itself only has 1
barograph but 3 gliders. Â*I just like the idea of having a few
barographs around in case one of my students or friends are going
flying on a day where a badge leg or state record could be claimed.

Bah, save yourself a ton of trouble. Â*Buy a self-contained unit like
the ewMicroRecorder. Â*Its perfect for a club setting, has an internal
battery, a simple on-off switch (and no other complications), and
requires just a standard USB cable (or SD card reader) to download your
flight. Â*If you want to get "fancy" you can hook it up to a PDA for a
moving-map navigation system; but if you just want to log flights you
only need what comes in the box!

Take care,

--Noel

i just saw one used on W&W. Based on what I paid for my last Replogle
we could have 8 barographs ready to go in club ships, privately owned
single seaters, whatever, for the price of one EW.

Keep your eyes open for a used EW model D and a Garmin 12XL[1] or GPS II+
to drive it. The combo should be rather cheaper. The model D is rugged
and simple to use (only one button) and runs off 12v or its one internal
9v battery.

[1] if you go for a Garmin 12, make sure its the 12XL, which takes 6-40v
input just like the GPS II+ and III+ do. The earlier 12 requires 6v and
is destroyed if you connect it to 12v. How I know: a club mate found this
out the hard way.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 25th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 24, 2:33*pm, Tony wrote:

Turnpoint photos are no longer part of the Sporting Code. *

Hence the offer of *useless* equipment.

Old May 25th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Ed Replogle's Barographs are wonderful. They tick, they look cool,
feel good . . . the smooth machined drum for the trace paper . . .
the little fingertip handle as you carry it to the sailplane. I keep
two Replogle barographs ready for altitude flights at Marfa in
southwest Texas. Visiting pilots may borrow one as a backup to their
logger.

Preparing the barograph follows a time-honored and traditional
protocol that is deliberate and in sequence. For luck, we always wind
the clock spring (very slowly and gently) with a US quarter coin from
North Carolina, the issue with the 1903 Wright airplane (motorglider)
on it. The increasing tension of the spring as you wind it and the
sound of the clockworks ticking matches your anticipation of a
"personal-best" soaring flight. The barograph comes to life, and it
has a heartbeat.

On my shelf in my hangar I display a vintage smoke foil mechanical
barograph given to my father Fritz Compton by Wolf Hirth (the German
soaring pioneer) after WWII. Dad used it for his soaring badges and
his Bendix trophy flights beginning in 1948. I used it for my Silver
Badge flights decades ago. Tradition.

You can still have your barograph calibrated in the USA. I use Joe
Trinkwalder in Tonawanda, NY, who calibrates each Ed Replogle
barograph with great care and reverence for his late friend "Rep".
Contact info is in "Soaring" magazine classified ad section under
Instruments, along with other calibration labs.

Here is Ed's Obit: Ed ("Rep") Replogle, an engineer and inventor
whose career as a pilot spanned nearly seven decades, died on February
17, 2002 in Buffalo, NY.

Born in 1916 in Columbus, OH, Rep soloed in 1932 in a Gypsy Moth
biplane. His soaring career began in a Franklin Utility at a glider
club at the University of Michigan, where he graduated with a degree
in Aeronautical Engineering in 1938. His distinguished engineering
career included stints with Budd, Kaiser Fleetwing, Bellanca and Bell
Aircraft; finishing up as an independent inventor with over 20 patents
to his credit.

Rep's record as a competitive soaring pilot included wins the 1-26
(Region 1 1968, 21st Wright Memorial), standard (Region 1 1974, Region
6 South 1988) and 15 meter (Region 4 1983, Region 6 1983) classes.
Nonetheless, he is probably best known in soaring circles for his
Replogle Barograph, which has sold over 3000 units since its
introduction in 1965. Rep is survived by his wife June, and sons
Doug and Ron.

Ed Replogle's heartbeat continues as clockwork ticks in his
barographs . . .

Burt
Marfa, west Texas
USA