Would you rather fly a Sailplane?

Old April 25th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

Default Would you rather fly a Sailplane?

Discussion from the paragliding forum. See:
http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=p307763

Seems to be a large group of very talented soaring people that the SSA
and BGA doesn't reach well. Many of the boomers who started jumping
off hills in the 1970's are getting tired of climbing the hills
carrying a big bag.

We do get a large and frequent number of paraglider types thanks to
Chris Santacroce in Salt Lake City (and other's) references. Lots of
folk lore out there regarding sailplanes (or maybe we deserve it) -

Certain comments re-surface over and over about glider club
environments, costs and misconceptions about "90% social, 10% flying",
"takes a year to get your license", "mostly racing glass", etc, etc.

If you know a hang glider or para glider pilot to share a sailplane
flight with they can explain quite a bit about the physics and
structure of a thermal they explore at 25 km/hr with a tight, tight
turn radius. My husband and teen daughter traded winch sailplane rides
for two pay-out winch paraglider flights to 3,000 AGL. Daughter loved
it. Husband didn't care for the aerobatics on a "piece of cloth", but
very rewarding to watch these people do a save and back to altitude
from half a pattern altitude.

KAREN
Old April 28th 12, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:54:01 AM UTC-5, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:
Forget trying to recruit paraglider pilots. It's too much fun. And when
you are young and full of **** and vinegar you'd rather run off
mountains with the wind in your face than sit in a bubble....Older ones?
Hauling a paraglider up a hill is no more strenuous than pushing a
sailplane onto take off position.

Fun is relative. I like being in a quiet, hi-tech bubble, with my neat electronics, cruising at 100 knots at cloudbase over the Grand Canyon. Or doing 80 mile final glides finishing with a low pass after a 5 hour flight into the mountains and back. Or flying on a windy day, looking for wave. I think sitting in a chair going back and forth over the trees might be fun for a while, but then I'd get bored of being SLOW!!!

Just like there are lots of power pilots who think gliding is stupid - they enjoy (?) the precision of instrument flight and couldn't care less what is outside the window until at decision height.

And BS about the effort involved. With good rigging and towout gear, there is very little effort needed to rig and launch a glider - a LOT less than is needed to hike up a mountain! So from the physical aspect, paraglider pilots may be interested in transitioning to gliding as they age, or move somewhere where it is less practicable to paraglide (Try Phoenix, AZ, in the summer, for example!).

Kirk
66
Old April 29th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I was referring to the usual carry of a PG from the car or cable car to
the take off point, not hauling the thing on your back up 3000 vertical
feet. Yes, that is very hard. I have done that 100s of times. I have a
light PG with super light harness. I like the workout of climbing up for
3 hours in the early morning and a quiet, quick glide back home for
lunch. But you are right, for effortless flying at speed nothing beats
the coffin with a view.

gotovkotzepkoi

"the coffin with a view"? Really? At 17,000' it's kinda essential to have - there is no way you are going to survive hanging out in the open in the 13 knot thermal to cloudbase I found last weekend on my way to the Grand Canyon.

But you are right, for effortless flying at slow speed going nowhere, nothing probably beats the swing seat with a view...

It's all fun!

Kirk
66
(and yeah, I know para's go XC...chill.

Old May 2nd 12, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

As a hang glider pilot that transitioned to glass a few years ago I do tend to be very surprised at the general lack of awareness of what hang gliders and even paragliders are capable of. Experienced sailplane pilots marveling at the fact that hang gliders can climb in thermals and go XC. Really, really long XC.

Hang glider and paraglider pilots that have thermal and XC experience make fantastic sailplane pilots. Here on the central coast of California, the PG pilots tend to be primarily coastal ridge lift flyers. Very little interest in XC and thermals. A few exceptions of course, but mostly they love the convenience of a quick drive to a coastal ridge and are up in flying in minutes.

I routinely post about my XC flights and experiences in sailplanes, but haven't sucked anyone in from the PG/HG club here. I've given demo flights in my Duo and blown their minds with the performance, but cost/convenience seem to be the primary motivators.

It's still a fantastic group to try to tap into, but the conversion rate is still pretty low. The main difference is how quickly an experience HG/PG pilot will pick up and transition into sailplanes and want to start going XC. Nowhere near the fear and trepidation around landing out when all you've ever done is "land out" in a hang glider. Yeah, I worry more about field selection and the obvious things to keep from damaging the plane or myself, but generally speaking the process is very well known to me.

Another great source of potential pilots are the RC glider clubs.

More than anything, I think the power pilot population represents the group most likely to take up and continue soaring. They are already used to the cost and preparation around flying an airplane. You just have to wean them off the throttle and onto the mental game that soaring is.

Morgan

Old May 3rd 12, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
villinski

I came to sailplanes from paragliding, and love and enjoy both, for
their unique qualities, as well as their commonalities. I have always
felt that many paraglider pilots would go for sailplanes, if given a
good introduction -- one which overcame the many stereotypes
attributed to each form. I remember waiting on the paragliding launch
at Ellenville, NY, on a day with winds too high to fly, watching a
sailplane ridge-soaring overhead, and hearing another PG pilot state:
"Sailplanes are a rich man's game." The reality is that the cost per
hour may actually be lower in sailplanes, when you factor in the
enormous number of hours spent driving to the paragliding site,
waiting for the small window of acceptable weather conditions to open,
and driving home. Living in the Northeast, it was the fact that my
driving-to-flying ratio was vastly better in sailplanes than
paragliders that got me. A $15,000 SGS 1-35, which retained all it's
resale value, also looked pretty good relative to $3500 worth of PG
gear that depreciated rapidly as available gear improved from year to
year.

I could go on for days on this topic. But in a nutshell, when we
bemoan the "graying" of the SSA membership and wring our hands about
the difficulty of recruiting younger members, I think we are missing a
real opportunity by not reaching out to thousands of soaring pilots
who are mastering soaring in "low performance" (8:1 L/D) gliders.

I've always thought that the SSA and USHPA should offer each other a
page in the respective magazines which guest authors could use to
share their experience and perspective on the sports, so that each
pilot population could start to learn more about the other, and to
encourage "bi-wingualism."
Old June 5th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--
gotovkotzepkoi

Well if you can translate this from french you get another opinion...

( extract from http://www.augredelair.fr/joomla/rec...igneBleyne.pdf )

"En passant non loin de l’atterro de st André, je m’aperçois qu’il n’y a qu’une voiture sur le parking et le plan
récupe me parait totalement compromis. Arrivé sur la crête des serres je n’avance pas beaucoup, contré par le
Sud , je traverse des thermiques en pleine forme et observe des planeurs méga satellisés sur le pic de Chamatte,
rentrant à 120km/h vers Faïence. Je plafonne à 27 km/h sur la crête des Serres observe mon ombre sur le relief
qui avance à la vitesse d’un bon coureur à pied, et découvre sur le pic de Chamatte un delta sans mât qui zone à
peine 100m au-dessus du pic. Les cums du pic sont dissouts… Le deltiste enroule avec un rendement bien
maigre… Soudain juste avant le pic, je rentre dans le plus virulent et magnifique thermique de la journée, alors
que le delta enroule lui aussi à 300m dans un truc atomique identique. Nous montons comme des balles en
nous observant à distance. Le truc est tellement puissant, qu’il monte droit sans dérive. D’habitude j’évite ce
thermique fort et inutile pour un retour vers St André, mais là le soleil est encore bien haut et je n’ai jamais
tenté le retour vers Bleyne… Je compte bien essayer aujourd’hui fort de mes 2800m de plaf. Le delta part
comme une fusée vers la crête du Crémon/ Vauplane. Je mesure avec horreur la différence de perf face au vent.
Il enroule déjà au vent du Crémon alors que je ne suis qu’à 1/3 de la transition."
Old June 5th 12, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Apr 25, 2:54*pm, Karen wrote:
[...]

Hang glider pilots have been a large source of new SSA members for a
decade or more. At some point, their knees send a strong message that
landing on a wheel is a better idea. I've been told that the cost of
replacing "kites" every few years makes hang gliding more expensive
which is another reason for migration to sailplanes. Hang glider
pilots and model airplane types vie with each other as a the leading
recruitment source. The SSA is actively recruiting both.

As for the "greying" of the SSA, the current average age of members is
54 which is younger than it was in 1960. Surprising, at least to me,
is that roughly 15 percent are younger than 22.

Yes, hang glider can make long flights - the record is 700km. But
then the sailplane record is 3000km which is a fair measure of their
relative capabilities.

Education is the key to recruiting. Tell them what we do and let them
decide.
Old June 5th 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:22:11 PM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:

As for the "greying" of the SSA, the current average age of members is
54 which is younger than it was in 1960. Surprising, at least to me,
is that roughly 15 percent are younger than 22.

Interesting demographics. Are the rest of the numbers available to SSA members?
Old June 5th 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Jun 5, 11:50*am, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:22:11 PM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:
As for the "greying" of the SSA, the current average age of members is
54 which is younger than it was in 1960. *Surprising, at least to me,
is that roughly 15 percent are younger than 22.

Interesting demographics. *Are the rest of the numbers available to SSA members?

Everything is available for the asking. The EXCOM and Growth and
Development Committee keep these numbers in mind. Probably make a
good Soaring article.

The average member age was a huge topic at the 1960 SSA annual meeting
as it has been at every one since. It seems to stay at around the
same age but it would be nice to see it a bit younger.
Old June 5th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

As for the "greying" of the SSA,...

The funny thing is that the hang glider folks have the same issues
with greying of the membership. So do the sailboat racers.

The paraglider's seem to be a bit more youth oriented, not sure why.

Best Looking Sailplane glider[_2_] Soaring 52 November 23rd 09 05:29 PM
Could this be used in a sailplane? Spam Soaring 6 July 5th 09 08:16 PM
Another Sailplane Ben Jeffrey Aviation Photos 2 June 24th 08 08:11 PM
Jet sailplane photos Bob C Soaring 19 November 18th 05 04:14 AM
Jet sailplane photos Bob C Soaring 0 November 4th 05 04:08 PM