A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Region 9 day 1 Std Class

Old June 20th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Region 9 day 1 Std Class

On a day when all but one competitor did not attempt the task, apparently due to thunderstorms, one competitor completes it and takes 1000 points. The contest is pretty much over. Are we rewarding the right behavior? Why wasn't the day devalued?

Comments invited especially from the Std class pilots and also the rules guys.

Andy (GY)

Old June 20th 14, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

The rules already address why the day wasn't "devalued"; 100% of the competitors who attempted the task completed. Nobody except AV8 made a marking distance.

The real question under the rules has more to do with the conditions at the start.

10.8.1.2 After the announcement of task opening time, the CD should consult with the task advisors as to whether the selected task is fair and safe. If a delay or a task change is deemed necessary, this should be announced 10 minutes or more before task opening 2014 SSA US National FAI-Class Rules 15time; task changes later than this should be avoided when possible.

There are a couple of possibilities/questions that need to be answered in the current situation:

1. Did the CD get an affirmative to the above question? Assuming that was a "yes", then

2. Did the remainder of the Standard Class hang around playing start gate roulette, painting themselves into a corner when the conditions deteriorated..

If enough of the competitors felt there was not a fair and safe condition when the gate first opened, then I have to believe there would have been protests.

I wasn't there, I don't know. Just laying out the scenario that would need to be covered under the rules.

P3

p.s. I've been frustrated as a CD when folks complain about a task being too long when the day ends. I ask the question, "when did you start and when did the gate open." That's often an interesting discussion.

On Friday, June 20, 2014 9:40:44 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On a day when all but one competitor did not attempt the task, apparently due to thunderstorms, one competitor completes it and takes 1000 points. The contest is pretty much over. Are we rewarding the right behavior? Why wasn't the day devalued?

Andy (GY)

Old June 20th 14, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 20, 2014 8:28:43 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
The rules already address why the day wasn't "devalued"; 100% of the competitors who attempted the task completed. Nobody except AV8 made a marking distance.

No disagreement that there was no devaluation because the published rules required no devaluation.

The devaluation rules require an understanding of the term "contestant".

11.1.1 A Contestant is a regular entrant whose Scored Distance (Rule 11.2.3) is greater than zero.

The situation is complicated by:

11.1.3 A valid competition day is a day on which every regular entrant is given a fair opportunity to compete, and at least 25% of
Contestants achieve a Scored Distance not less than the Standard Minimum Task Distance.

and

11.2.3.5 Scored Distance is zero if:
* The pilot has no valid start time (Rule 10.8).
* The pilot lands at the home field (or the pilot of a motorized sailplane used the power unit after launch) and the distance
calculated above is less than half the Standard Minimum Task Distance.

Since standard min task distance is 50 miles there would have been a huge difference in the R9 day 1 scores if a few of the pilots had managed 25 miles. These pilots would have qualified as "competitors" and caused the day to have been invalid.

Something to consider on the next thunderstorm day or when the rules come up for revision.

Andy (GY)

Old June 20th 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I talked to John Cochrane about this issue last year. It's come up before
but he doesn't really know what to do about it. We had a less-extreme
version of this at the Region 3 contest last year. About 2/3 of the
field stayed at home. Of the other third 3 made it around (very slowly)
and the rest landed out in a rainstorm, with one broken glider in the bunch.
It makes for poor incentives -- in order to kill the day, you have to go
risk your plane on an almost guaranteed landout since if one person gets
more than 20 miles away they get 1000 points. I'm not sure what 11.2.3.5
is trying accomplish -- is that in case half the field decides to go play
golf instead one day the rest can still have a contest day?

Matt
Old June 20th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:21:21 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

Sorry should have read "These pilots would have qualified as "contestants" and caused the day to have been invalid.

Andy

Old June 21st 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Yup - it's a difficult question. Charlie Spratt used to rattle off many rules by the name of the pilot for (against?) whom a given rule was written. I won't repeat them, but some of the stories behind rules are quite entertaining. Related to this situation, IIRC, there was a problem at one point where pilots would give up at the start and land. They'd then find out that a bunch of guys had gotten away and had pretty good flights while a bunch had landed out. An official day was in the balance. So, some pilots would intentionally go up again, take a start, and land at the next closest airport 5 miles away to "kill" the day by increasing the number of competitors to decrease the ratio of pilots making minimum distance. So, the rule got changed to be "at least half the standard minimum distance" to make it a little more of a commitment to go out and make a marking distance. That was the story I heard - I don't know if it was a widespread issue, a single instance, or a hypothetical situation.

In the case of the Moriarty Day 1 contest, it appears from the log files and task parameters that the Standard Class task was the last to open, and the lone "contestant" started pretty much when the gate opened. It's interesting that 3 or 4 of the remaining pilots obviously had the altitude at some point after the gate opened to start (i.e. 6,000 or more AGL), but they chose not to. It would be nice to hear what led to that situation. Was the picture out the windscreen so ugly that they landed for safety reasons? Did they think that the conditions would get better and ended up losing that bet? If the former, I think it's up to the CD to stand up for the safe/fair rule. If the latter, then I think "that's racing."

Just my opinion.

P3
Old June 21st 14, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

I was one of the other standard class competitors and climbed out very close to AV8. He chose to fly east to outflank storms moving into the area while I elected to try for a hole between two cells. I abandoned the attempt after lightning struck just in front of me. Randy made the best call and I didn't!

Mike

Old June 23rd 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 20, 2014 7:40:44 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:

Andy (GY)

This is a good question posted by Andy.

Several Moriarty based local heavy hitters did not start.
Looking at the score sheet only 3 out of 13 Sports Class pilots went out on course.
Only 4 of 7 15 meter guys.
Only 1 in Standard Class departed.

The nasty weather + the high desert boondock terrain was clearly a major issue.

So with the scoring system, as we have it, for the majority of the field, on the 1st day of the contest, it was over. One, only one very brave Standard guy goes and hes gets a 1000 pts, 2nd place zero......bizarre to say the least.

One way to address this issue is to be able to "drop your lowest score".

There is a helluva lot of luck in gliding contests. A lot of skill, but the bad luck factor is such a drag. ask me sometime how I know!

The last day at the 18 Meter Nats in Minden, 3 heavy hitters had some bad luck on the last day did not complete the task and got creamed in the scores as a result. Is this what we want?
At least it happened to them on the last day not the first.

I want to be able to Go For It, when it is reasonable and good conditions are present. Being able to fly harder, knowing that if I land out, I'm not out of the contest. As it is now if you land out, or don't score for weather reasons
[ like huge t-storms, lightning, rain, huge wind events etc etc], electrical failure, o2 failure, etc ONE DAY in a contest you are done.
I want to be able to stand down on a dangerous day and not feel like I have to put it all on the line for some contest.

Then there is the side issue of having to compete on the same task/score sheet with guys with engines! Weather goes to pot and Pop! out comes a propeller!
Sorry to bring it up.

What is wrong with being able to drop a day?

I think it would make contests more fun and and relaxing; that is what 99% of my friends are into it for. Fun.
And it would at least partially address the bizarre scoring debacle that happened in Moriarty.

Nick Kennedy
[ T ]
Old June 23rd 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glen
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 20, 2014 9:40:44 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Andy (GY)

What about this?
Glen

11.4.6 ‡ â€* Worst Day Score Adjustment
If this is declared to be in effect, an adjustment is calculated and added to the cumulative score
of each entrant
Old June 23rd 14, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:10:54 PM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
On Friday, June 20, 2014 7:40:44 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:

Andy (GY)

This is a good question posted by Andy.

Several Moriarty based local heavy hitters did not start.

Looking at the score sheet only 3 out of 13 Sports Class pilots went out on course.

Only 4 of 7 15 meter guys.

Only 1 in Standard Class departed.

The nasty weather + the high desert boondock terrain was clearly a major issue.

So with the scoring system, as we have it, for the majority of the field, on the 1st day of the contest, it was over. One, only one very brave Standard guy goes and hes gets a 1000 pts, 2nd place zero......bizarre to say the least.

One way to address this issue is to be able to "drop your lowest score".

There is a helluva lot of luck in gliding contests. A lot of skill, but the bad luck factor is such a drag. ask me sometime how I know!

The last day at the 18 Meter Nats in Minden, 3 heavy hitters had some bad luck on the last day did not complete the task and got creamed in the scores as a result. Is this what we want?

At least it happened to them on the last day not the first.

I want to be able to Go For It, when it is reasonable and good conditions are present. Being able to fly harder, knowing that if I land out, I'm not out of the contest. As it is now if you land out, or don't score for weather reasons

[ like huge t-storms, lightning, rain, huge wind events etc etc], electrical failure, o2 failure, etc ONE DAY in a contest you are done.

I want to be able to stand down on a dangerous day and not feel like I have to put it all on the line for some contest.

Then there is the side issue of having to compete on the same task/score sheet with guys with engines! Weather goes to pot and Pop! out comes a propeller!

Sorry to bring it up.

What is wrong with being able to drop a day?

I think it would make contests more fun and and relaxing; that is what 99% of my friends are into it for. Fun.

And it would at least partially address the bizarre scoring debacle that happened in Moriarty.

Nick Kennedy

[ T ]

One problem with a good idea. Drop a low score and you could cancel a marginal contest with the minimum contest days, making it invalid.