Sinus on WW for 89 K

Old June 30th 20, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Sinus on WW for 89 K

This looks very nice, fairly new.
I don't know anything about these planes; can you soar them or do you need to be under a Cu-Nim to go XC?
Nick
Old June 30th 20, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Nick,

They actually climb quite well and you can get your speed down while thermalling into the 30 kt range. They are also quite light on the controls and easy to manoeuvre, unlike the Dimona (for example).

Two problems I noted while thermalling:
1. The high wing makes it problematic to look into the turn
2. The over head ceiling and "A" pillars also reduce visibility. There is a window in the ceiling that helps, but ... visibility is certainly not the same as a bubble canopy glider.

The downside of course is the 30:1 best L/D means you need to climb a lot to go places.

Old June 30th 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 6/30/20 1:38 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
This looks very nice, fairly new.
I don't know anything about these planes; can you soar them or do you need to be under a Cu-Nim to go XC?
Nick

640 hrs on Rotax engine, 603 hrs TT. A bit unusual. Not sure I'd trust
an old Rotax like that, regardless of what the story is.
Old June 30th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Nick,

Sinus is in the same category with Lambada. I own a Lambada and I've test flown the Sinus. Neither are really power off cross country machines. In strong conditions, yes, sometimes it works. They are great as very fuel efficient airplanes for trips and sightseeing and for taking up friends and family on soaring demonstration fun flights. The Lambada is a little better performance than the Sinus and the Lambada actually has decent baggage space for taking a spouse on cross country trips. My low time 2008 Lambada is in always-hangared pristine condition and is also on W&W; now at the ridiculously low price of 67,500.
Old July 25th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Dimentstein

I own a 2018 sinus max flex 15 meters.for that it is designed to do it is a great, efficient machine. I have flown several pure soaring flights over 300 km. It is for sale, advertised on Wings and Wheels.
S. Dimentstein
India Lima
704 968 4344
Old July 25th 20, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
This looks very nice, fairly new.
I don't know anything about these planes; can you soar them or do you need to be under a Cu-Nim to go XC?
Nick

I’ve owned and flown three Rotax powered touring motorgliders, over the last 15 years, for a total of 2000+ hours.

In great conditions you can stay up all day, and cross country adventures are possible, albeit not speedy ones, due to the relatively poor penetration..

There are a couple of terrific advantages for these machines.

1) they are suitable for extended powered flights, with a range of several hundred miles at 100kts;
2) on soaring days they can get you to where the lift is, away from the airfield, then back at the end of the day;
3) they are sociable side-by-side two-place ships with reasonable luggage space;
4) on weak days they can be flown with an engine idle set for a sink rate that simulates a higher
performance glider. This is VERY helpful for building pilot experience and confidence in finding lift.
5) they can be flown in weak ridge conditions, low on the ridge, with the engine idling, with a plan B in the event that lift disappears;
6) they allow you to fly on any day, without assistance from a tow plane or ground crew.