Downdraft at 12,000 feet

Old January 2nd 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

Default Downdraft at 12,000 feet

Pilot reported heavy downdraft over Lancaster, CA, resulting in crash.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?
Old January 2nd 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

James Robinson wrote:

Pilot reported heavy downdraft over Lancaster, CA, resulting in crash.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

Iced up on the way up through the layer?

--
Peter
Old January 2nd 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..
Pilot reported heavy downdraft over Lancaster, CA, resulting in crash.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

Wrong
Talked to a reporter.

Old January 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

James Robinson wrote:
Pilot reported heavy downdraft over Lancaster, CA, resulting in crash.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

The article mentioned twice that he remembered being taught how to
recover from a death spiral from his first flight instructor ... would
have been nice if they'd printed what he did!
Old January 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

wrote:

The article mentioned twice that he remembered being taught how to
recover from a death spiral from his first flight instructor ... would
have been nice if they'd printed what he did!

The reporter probably wouldn't have gotten it right had the pilot provided
him/her with the steps.

--
Peter
Old January 2nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

James Robinson wrote:
Pilot reported heavy downdraft over Lancaster, CA, resulting in crash.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

That's happened to me out there too. I reported to ATC that I couldn't
maintain atltitude and got pulled down into the clouds. I picked up a
bit of ice and went below the MEA. Luckily I had a terrain GPS on board
and could stay between the mountains. Before anything got worse I got
the updraft and couldn't hold altitude again. The next time I flew that
same route I flew it at 14,000 and avoided the situation. This happens
when the winds are high in that area. I believe the winds were 25-30
knots at the same. Interestingly there was a c-172 about 10 miles away
that wasn't having any problems.

-Robert

Old January 2nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

James Robinson writes:

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

Too little information to say.

Old January 2nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

James Robinson wrote in news:Xns98AC8E2C089D5wascana212com@
216.196.97.142:

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/chico/ci_4917367

Wrong: Crashed
Right: Lived
Old January 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Mxsmanic wrote:
James Robinson writes:

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

Too little information to say.

Your training and experience led you to that conclusion?

The ignorant, untrained and inexperienced are most often merely
masturbating their keyboard when they post: I dunno. Silence will
signify the identical idea.
-----

- gpsman