Helicopter Pilot Recieves Medal of Honor

Old February 27th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. Gardner

Default Helicopter Pilot Recieves Medal of Honor

Bruce Crandall finally received what I think was long over due! If you saw
the movie "We Were Soldiers", he was the pilot that repeatedly flew back
into the hot LZ to bring in supplies and more importantly flew out wounded.
This was one well deserved medal.

Congrats Bruce

Old February 27th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

R. Gardner wrote:

Bruce Crandall finally received what I think was long over due! If you saw
the movie "We Were Soldiers", he was the pilot that repeatedly flew back
into the hot LZ to bring in supplies and more importantly flew out wounded.
This was one well deserved medal.

Congrats Bruce

I just saw this on the news and it was indeed long overdue. I saw the
movie and was so intrigued that I bought the book. Both were just
outstanding and helped me better understand why many returning from
Vietnam were so changed. That man must absolutely have ice water in his
veins.

Matt
Old February 27th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"R. Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
Bruce Crandall finally received what I think was long over due! If you
saw the movie "We Were Soldiers", he was the pilot that repeatedly flew
back into the hot LZ to bring in supplies and more importantly flew out
wounded. This was one well deserved medal.

Congrats Bruce

Agreed!!

(Do you have source link")

Old February 27th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"R. Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
Bruce Crandall finally received what I think was long over due! If you
saw the movie "We Were Soldiers", he was the pilot that repeatedly flew
back into the hot LZ to bring in supplies and more importantly flew out
wounded. This was one well deserved medal.

Congrats Bruce

Does anyone know the story of why it took so long?

Danny Deger

Old February 27th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

"R. Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
Bruce Crandall finally received what I think was long over due! If you
saw the movie "We Were Soldiers", he was the pilot that repeatedly flew
back into the hot LZ to bring in supplies and more importantly flew out
wounded. This was one well deserved medal.

Congrats Bruce

Does anyone know the story of why it took so long?

IWIWTIT, it's because he was a maverick.

Old February 27th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Matt Barrow wrote:

IWIWTIT,

Ok I've been around the net for a while now. I've ROTFLOL when I RTFA and
LML when I seen things that IMHO should be seen online.

But I have to ask, what the hell "IWIWTIT" means?

BTW I'll BRB for the answer.

Old February 28th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. Gardner

I knew people in that unit just after this battle, but I to saw the movie
and then had to get the book. The book and reports I heard really showed
how close the movie was to the truth which is rare. As a side note one of
the plattoon leaders died in at the twin towers on 9-11-01.

Old February 28th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
R. Gardner

Reporteadly none of the Generals in the theater had the power to request it.
Personnally I think they just did not follow though. The the movie came out
and brought it back to light.

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

.. .

Old February 28th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

IWIWTIT,

Ok I've been around the net for a while now. I've ROTFLOL when I RTFA and
LML when I seen things that IMHO should be seen online.

But I have to ask, what the hell "IWIWTIT" means?

If What I'm Told Is True

BTW I'll BRB for the answer.

OIC

Old March 1st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

On Feb 27, 5:48 pm, "R. Gardner" wrote:
Reporteadly none of the Generals in the theater had the power to request it.

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

The Medal of Honor could not be awarded by any of the Generals in the
theater but they could always forward a recommendation to HHQ for
consideration.