Prop sync and noise in twins

Old May 21st 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Prop sync and noise in twins

I note that the Baron (and presumably other twins) has a prop sync switch that
somehow synchronizes the prop speeds on both engines. From recordings I've
heard of the interior noise of the aircraft, it does sound as though props
that are just slightly out of sync can produce a very irritating intermittent
noise as they move in and out of phase. Is it very bothersome in real life?
Also, how does the prop sync work? Does it actually move pitch or throttle
levers or something?

Old May 21st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:
Also, how does the prop sync work?

I don't fly something fancy enough to have an automagic sync thingy; so I
go by ear. It is a bit like tuning a guitar really, but fiddling with the
throttle (you can't rely on either the throttle position nor the rpm
indicators, not precise enough).

--Sylvain
Old May 21st 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Mxsmanic wrote:
I note that the Baron (and presumably other twins) has a prop sync switch that
somehow synchronizes the prop speeds on both engines. From recordings I've
heard of the interior noise of the aircraft, it does sound as though props
that are just slightly out of sync can produce a very irritating intermittent
noise as they move in and out of phase. Is it very bothersome in real life?
Also, how does the prop sync work? Does it actually move pitch or throttle
levers or something?

If you type in prop synch multi-engine planes into the google search
window the first hit you will see is this
The AVSIM Forums - Viewing topic #736 - Prop sync
Out of synch propellers will not be as obvious or as annoying in a
simulator as in a real plane. In most aircraft with prop synch, you
first manually ...
forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=189&topic_id=736&m ode=full
- 56k - Cached - Similar pages

Go there , read it and you will know all you want to know.
Old May 22nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

I was taught and always used the prop control for sync.

Old May 22nd 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

John Theune wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

OMG - you want MX to actually *research* his trolling questions????
All by his little self????????

What fun is that??

Old May 22nd 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Sylvain wrote:
It is a bit like tuning a guitar really, but fiddling with the
throttle

you are right, I was wrong. Ooops. what was I thinking? going
to hide myself under a rock for the next few hours...

--Sylvain
Old May 22nd 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

Yes... it can be REALLY irritating..

I have a twin engine boat, same issue... VERY annoying.. to me, and
many others..

Some don't seem to mind.. (?)

Not only the noise, but the vibrations , when out of sync, can be very
annoying as well...

Dave

Old May 22nd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Dave" wrote in message
Yes... it can be REALLY irritating..

I have a twin engine boat, same issue... VERY annoying.. to me, and
many others..

Some don't seem to mind.. (?)

Not only the noise, but the vibrations , when out of sync, can be very
annoying as well...

Dave

We had a Cessna 337 on our line for charter use at one time. It had a sync
gauge. Strangely enough, whenever I had occasion to fly this bird I always
ended up syncing the props by ear. You could easily feel if one of them was
out even by a small amount of RPM.
Dudley Henriques

Old May 22nd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
We had a Cessna 337 on our line for charter use at one time. It had a sync
gauge. Strangely enough, whenever I had occasion to fly this bird I always
ended up syncing the props by ear. You could easily feel if one of them was
out even by a small amount of RPM.

The C-402s I used to fly had a prop syncrophaser but I never knew it to work.
The ear, OTOH, never lied. I never thought it was much of a problem to synch
twins. I'd have to ask my father about how they synched the props in the
Connies and C-54s.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 22nd 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Theune writes:

If you type in prop synch multi-engine planes into the google search
window the first hit you will see is this
The AVSIM Forums - Viewing topic #736 - Prop sync
Out of synch propellers will not be as obvious or as annoying in a
simulator as in a real plane. In most aircraft with prop synch, you
first manually ...
forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=189&topic_id=736&m ode=full
- 56k - Cached - Similar pages

Go there , read it and you will know all you want to know.

Thanks. I guess people in the AVSIM forums actually answer questions rather
than just point people to Google.