Close call at LAX

Old August 19th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

Default Close call at LAX

August 19, 2007
Close call at LAX
By AP

LOS ANGELES -- A packed WestJet airliner on a flight from Calgary was
involved in a near-miss Thursday with another jet on the tarmac at Los
Angeles International Airport, aviation officials said.

The close call happened at about 1 p.m. and appeared to have been the
result of mistakes made by both the arriving pilot and a ground
traffic controller, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the U.S. Federal
Aviation Administration.

Officials said the WestJet Boeing 737, carrying 136 passengers, came
within 15 metres of colliding with a 150-seat Northwest Airlines
Airbus A320 that was taking off.

The Northwest jet was travelling about 240 km/h when the WestJet plane
approached its path. The WestJet plane managed to stop just in time to
avoid a crash.

No one was hurt, authorities said. An investigation was under way.

SWITCHED FREQUENCIES

Gregor said the arriving pilot switched radio frequencies too early
after landing and was unable to receive final directions from the air
traffic controller, the Los Angeles Times reported on its website.

When the WestJet pilot notified the ground traffic controller that the
plane was proceeding to its gate, the ground controller cleared him
without checking first with the air traffic controller.

Aircraft arriving at the Los Angeles airport must cross the inside
runway to reach their gate.

The "runway incursion" was the eighth such incident at LAX this year,
matching the total for all of 2006.

WestJet officials declined to comment on the specifics of the
incident. Airline spokeswoman Natalie Green would only say that the
airline was investigating.

Old August 20th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"AJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

So, like, the WestJet pilot looked out the window before crossing a runway
(as common sense would suggest) and said "Gee - I think I'll stop here and
wait for that Airbus to go by before I cross"?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 20th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:11:10 -0400, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

So, like, the WestJet pilot looked out the window before crossing a runway
(as common sense would suggest) and said "Gee - I think I'll stop here and
wait for that Airbus to go by before I cross"?

As in a daily occurrence?

Close call? Alan[_4_] Piloting 6 April 8th 07 11:17 PM
a VERY close call....who'd be deck crew? Nick Rotorcraft 26 March 15th 07 03:12 AM
Yak close call gatt Piloting 40 December 30th 06 04:07 AM
Close Call Paul kgyy Piloting 15 August 24th 05 10:19 PM
Close call with engine failure in IMC G. Sylvester Instrument Flight Rules 12 March 16th 05 06:57 AM