What's gonna happen to CAP?

Old September 19th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

My son and I were active in Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago.
The primary training mission was Search and Rescue, utilizing radio
direction finders that allowed us to find transponders that were going
off.

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

CAP is a good organization for kids, basically "Boy Scouts With a
Mission". Given that Search and Rescue is their primary mission, I
wonder what's gonna happen to CAP?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 19th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Um, just fyi ... a transponder is a device that receives an interrogation
and issues a reply in response to the interrogation. bip...BONGGGG
bip...BONGGGG

An ELT is a device that broadcasts a "find me" signal without any
interrogation required.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

ups.com...

Old September 19th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-09-19 08:15:40 -0700, Jay Honeck said:

My son and I were active in Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago.
The primary training mission was Search and Rescue, utilizing radio
direction finders that allowed us to find transponders that were going
off.

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

CAP is a good organization for kids, basically "Boy Scouts With a
Mission". Given that Search and Rescue is their primary mission, I
wonder what's gonna happen to CAP?

You will still need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on
SAR missions. They will just find the object of their search more
quickly.

I suspect that the 406 mhz transponders are still subject to the laws
of physics, too. They can still be destroyed in crashes, have dead
batteries, or end up in canyons or other places where you can't pick up
their signal.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 19th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

My son and I were active in Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago.
The primary training mission was Search and Rescue, utilizing radio
direction finders that allowed us to find transponders that were going
off.

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

CAP is a good organization for kids, basically "Boy Scouts With a
Mission". Given that Search and Rescue is their primary mission, I
wonder what's gonna happen to CAP?

I was in CAP as a teenager, due to my interests in aviation and lack of
money to pursue it other ways. Although there was too much marching to
suit me, I agree that it is a worthy organization with an important
mission.

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really reduce
the need for S&R? It may reduce the search time somewhat, but it won't do
much to eliminate the rescue operations. Also, unless everything and
everyone stays in one pile, the search operation won't be eliminated,
either. I think the CAP's mission is safe for some time yet, and may not
be negatively impacted by the newer technology.

Neil

Old September 19th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Neil Gould wrote:

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really
reduce the need for S&R? It may reduce the search time somewhat, but
it won't do much to eliminate the rescue operations. Also, unless
everything and everyone stays in one pile, the search operation won't
be eliminated, either. I think the CAP's mission is safe for some
time yet, and may not be negatively impacted by the newer technology.

Neil

I don't know if it is just the Arkansas Wing of CAP or systemic, but twice
in the last 10 years we have had aircraft go down in South Central Arkansas
and after CAP has looked for them for a day or two with their perfect grids
flying at 1000 agl and spoters with no luck one of the pipeline patrol guys
flying alone at about 500 agl would go start looking and find them within 3
to 4 hours.

Old September 19th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 8:15 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
My son and I were active in Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago.
The primary training mission was Search and Rescue, utilizing radio
direction finders that allowed us to find transponders that were going
off.

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

CAP is a good organization for kids, basically "Boy Scouts With a
Mission". Given that Search and Rescue is their primary mission, I
wonder what's gonna happen to CAP?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

The mission is certainly changing. Remember that S&R has always been
only one part of the CAP mission. CAP still has a very active cadet
program and aerospace education. Recently CAP has been doing a lot
more counter drug mission (looking for pot farms, etc) as well as
boarder patrol. The mission is evolving for sure. When I fly with CAP
90% of my missions are ROTC rides for the two local universities.

-Robert

Old September 19th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Neil Gould wrote:

I was in CAP as a teenager, due to my interests in aviation and lack of
money to pursue it other ways. Although there was too much marching to
suit me, I agree that it is a worthy organization with an important
mission.

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really reduce
the need for S&R?

Here in Montana we've reduced the need for CAP to zero. We handle SAR
ourselves.
Old September 19th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Neil Gould wrote:

I was in CAP as a teenager, due to my interests in aviation and lack of
money to pursue it other ways. Although there was too much marching to
suit me, I agree that it is a worthy organization with an important
mission.

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really reduce
the need for S&R?

Here in Montana we've reduced the need for CAP to zero. We handle SAR
ourselves.

Who is "ourselves"?

Old September 19th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 9:57 am, Newps wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:

I was in CAP as a teenager, due to my interests in aviation and lack of
money to pursue it other ways. Although there was too much marching to
suit me, I agree that it is a worthy organization with an important
mission.

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really reduce
the need for S&R?

Here in Montana we've reduced the need for CAP to zero. We handle SAR
ourselves.

Do you also do the Aerospace education and the ROTC training?

Old September 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

\
First there is NO (zip, nada) mandate for GA to transition to 406 MHz
ELTs. Thus as of today there is almost 100% equippage with 121.5 MHz
ELTs in the GA fleet.

You kid will be having kids before this may be an issue.

Ron Lee

What's it gonna take? Jay Honeck Piloting 62 September 22nd 07 05:49 PM
This won't happen again AJ Piloting 17 April 5th 06 07:10 AM
What am I gonna get if I ask for a pre-purchase inspection? mhorowit Home Built 1 February 27th 06 05:06 PM
Could it happen here? Skylune Piloting 14 January 27th 06 07:05 AM
What gonna be to Boeing X-32A/B CDAs? Gregory Omelchenko Military Aviation 0 May 10th 04 01:53 AM