cancer??

Old October 19th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

Default cancer??

I've recently read a couple of articles concerning people who have had
cancer and upon completion of treatment been able to obtain a special
issuance.

Why would a special issuance be required if the person had been successfully
treated for cancer and was free of the disease?

I don't remember if a cancer question was on the medical application or not.

Curious minds want to know.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old October 19th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've recently read a couple of articles concerning people who have had
cancer and upon completion of treatment been able to obtain a special
issuance.

Why would a special issuance be required if the person had been
successfully treated for cancer and was free of the disease?

I don't remember if a cancer question was on the medical application
or not.
Curious minds want to know.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

I don't think there is a specific question. BUT there is an "other illness
question" that will catch it and it is asked "Have you ever...".

There are lots of things that if you had at one time but now don't will have
to go the special issuance route.

Old October 19th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've recently read a couple of articles concerning people who have had
cancer and upon completion of treatment been able to obtain a special
issuance.

Why would a special issuance be required if the person had been
successfully treated for cancer and was free of the disease?

I don't remember if a cancer question was on the medical application
or not.
Curious minds want to know.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

I hit send before I was ready.

It will also so depend on what sort of cancer. A brain tumor is going to be
a lot harder to get cleared for than mole gone wrong on your big toe.

Old October 19th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've recently read a couple of articles concerning people who have had
cancer and upon completion of treatment been able to obtain a special
issuance.

Why would a special issuance be required if the person had been
successfully treated for cancer and was free of the disease?

I don't remember if a cancer question was on the medical application
or not.
Curious minds want to know.

It will also so depend on what sort of cancer. A brain tumor is going to
be a lot harder to get cleared for than mole gone wrong on your big toe.

A brain tumor is pretty much exclusive, even if benign.

What about two small polyps right near a major nerve in the ear?

{SHUDDER}
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old October 20th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

They went in under my left breast and around under arm and up by
shoulder blade, 18 Inches. Cut several ribs and collapsed a lung and
went in near spine and removed a calcified lymph node (turned out to
be benign )

Was flying six weeks after operation with a USAF waver for last half
of my service in USAF. After I retired the FAA gave me a waiver and I
held my commercial license and CFII SMEL until I got heart trouble and
just stopped flying and sold my Turbo Mooney (

I'd do the research to see if what you had is absolutely disqualifying
and if not find out what they will need to approve a waiver.

If not a no no go for it ) Even if a no no, perservence has made
them change their mind in past cases and set new criteria.

Big John

************************************************** ************************8

Old October 20th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
~D~

That's something I never could understand. I was treated for thyroid
cancer (surgery & radiation) in 1996. I've been cancer free ever since.
Yet when I went in for my student pilot medical last year, the cancer
seemed to be an issue. I don't understand why, as I have not had cancer
for 10 years. Why would not having cancer be an issue? Are they afraid
I'm going to have an attack of cancer while flying and be incapacitated?
Just one of those FAA mysteries I suppose.

Debbie

Old October 20th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

~D~ wrote in
:

That's something I never could understand. I was treated for thyroid
cancer (surgery & radiation) in 1996. I've been cancer free ever
since. Yet when I went in for my student pilot medical last year, the
cancer seemed to be an issue. I don't understand why, as I have not
had cancer for 10 years. Why would not having cancer be an issue? Are
they afraid I'm going to have an attack of cancer while flying and be
incapacitated? Just one of those FAA mysteries I suppose.

Debbie

I don't know much about it at all, but I know an airline pilot I know
didn;'t even have his ticket pulled while he was undergoing chemo and so
weak he couldn't even drive, never mind fly an A320. The feds knew, too and
it was serious enough that he died from it eventually so what's thde deal
with that? Seems like they make it up as they go along sometimes.

Bertie
Old October 21st 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James M. Knox

~D~ wrote in
:

That's something I never could understand. I was treated for thyroid
cancer (surgery & radiation) in 1996. I've been cancer free ever
since. Yet when I went in for my student pilot medical last year, the
cancer seemed to be an issue. I don't understand why, as I have not
had cancer for 10 years. Why would not having cancer be an issue? Are
they afraid I'm going to have an attack of cancer while flying and be
incapacitated? Just one of those FAA mysteries I suppose.

Debbie

So maybe it ISN'T just me!!!

I had cancer about 12 years ago. Surgery and a year of chemo... no
problems since. Technically, I never even lost my medical - since I had
a brand new medical not long before the cancer was detected, and I self-
grounded as necessary during the treatment. Afterwards, I sent them 14
pounds of documentation (yes, I paid for the shipping, that's what it
came to) at their request, and that was that. No special issuance, just
a normal third class medical.

About three weeks ago I suddenly got a letter from the FAA (remember,
I've had a medical continually during the intervening 12 years) saying
that because I have cancer they are reviewing my right to continue
flying. I have 30 days to respond or emergency revocation. yada yada
yada.

So I sent them a letter from my oncologist saying that I was still
alive, etc. Haven't heard anything since. We'll see...

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78756
Old October 22nd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It will also so depend on what sort of cancer. A brain tumor is going to
be a lot harder to get cleared for than mole gone wrong on your big toe.

A brain tumor is pretty much exclusive, even if benign.

Not necessarily.

See http://www.brainsflight.com

Old October 22nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
It will also so depend on what sort of cancer. A brain tumor is
going to be a lot harder to get cleared for than mole gone wrong on
your big toe.

A brain tumor is pretty much exclusive, even if benign.

Not necessarily.

See
http://www.brainsflight.com

Is he flying under the LSA rules, I wonder? The FAA database shows that his
last medical was issued 4/2002. It's the only name match in the database.

Cancer purtybird0 Piloting 4 July 4th 07 12:34 AM
Medical after cancer Chas[_2_] Piloting 37 March 21st 07 12:48 AM