Mythbusters

Old January 28th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

Default Mythbusters

Looks like the "Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" episode is scheduled for
Wednesday night. In our area (Pacific NW), on Direct TV, it's on at Ten PM.

Rich S.

Old January 31st 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Jan 28, 3:50*pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
Looks like the "Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" episode is scheduled for
Wednesday night. In our area (Pacific NW), on Direct TV, it's on at Ten PM..

Rich S.

I caught it. Somewhat of a disappointment and also a big surprise.

They, of course, didn't try to 'build a treadmill that would track the
speed in reverse exactly' but did show, as close as practical, that it
would take off from a treadmill going approx lift-off speed in
reverse. No surprise there.

The surprise was the ultra-light pilot they had do the flying said he
thought the plane would remain stationary. If true, it leads to the
conclusion that that guy needs some remedial training in understanding
flight dynamics.

Harry K
Old January 31st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:33:37 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

The surprise was the ultra-light pilot they had do the flying said he
thought the plane would remain stationary. If true, it leads to the
conclusion that that guy needs some remedial training in understanding
flight dynamics.

Actually, they *called* it an ultralight...but it was N-numbered, and the pilot
used "Light Sport" as his aircraft type on the radio. A former ultralight
converted to Experimental Light Sport, I reckon!

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 31st 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Fry

"HK" == Harry K Harry writes:

HK The surprise was the ultra-light pilot they had do the flying
HK said he thought the plane would remain stationary. If true,
HK it leads to the conclusion that that guy needs some remedial
HK training in understanding flight dynamics.

Reminds me years ago when I was mowing the lawn and the neighbor kid
asked "what happens if you quit moving the lawn mower?" He thought it
might start digging a hole in the ground. I said "Let's see!" and
left it running, stationary...watching his eyes get bigger and bigger.

Pretty sad our pilots have no more sense than a 7-year old.
--
If we do not like the world the way it is, then it is because we are
not okay the way we are.
Old January 31st 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Harry K wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:50 pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
Looks like the "Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" episode is scheduled for
Wednesday night. In our area (Pacific NW), on Direct TV, it's on at Ten PM.

Rich S.

I caught it. Somewhat of a disappointment and also a big surprise.

They, of course, didn't try to 'build a treadmill that would track the
speed in reverse exactly' but did show, as close as practical, that it
would take off from a treadmill going approx lift-off speed in
reverse. No surprise there.

The surprise was the ultra-light pilot they had do the flying said he
thought the plane would remain stationary. If true, it leads to the
conclusion that that guy needs some remedial training in understanding
flight dynamics.

Harry K

As always, ask and YouTube provides....

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S377HwOthjo

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc

Just shows that even pilots carry around a lot of misconceptions about
physics. I'm shocked.

Charles
Old February 1st 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Jan 31, 2:26*pm, Charles Vincent wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:50 pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
[...]

Charles- Hide quoted text -

I've been in those discussions on several different boards over the
years. There is always the ones who can't understand that the wheels
do not drive the plane. And then there are the nit-pickers who go on
endlessly about how you can't build a conveyor like that.

Harry K
Old February 1st 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rpl

Harry K wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:50 pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
Looks like the "Airplane on a Conveyor Belt" episode is scheduled for
Wednesday night. In our area (Pacific NW), on Direct TV, it's on at Ten PM..

Rich S.

I caught it. Somewhat of a disappointment and also a big surprise.

They, of course, didn't try to 'build a treadmill that would track the
speed in reverse exactly' but did show, as close as practical, that it
would take off from a treadmill going approx lift-off speed in
reverse. No surprise there.

The surprise was the ultra-light pilot they had do the flying said he
thought the plane would remain stationary. If true, it leads to the
conclusion that that guy needs some remedial training in understanding
flight dynamics.

or a bit more time driving tractors.

rpl
Old February 1st 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J. B. Wood

Hello, and I find episodes of Mythbusters worth watching anytime Kari
Byron is on camera ;-) Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW