Flight simulator

Old June 16th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
haribole

Default Flight simulator

Hello

Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.

Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.

Thanks
Hari

Old June 17th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Duhamel

haribole wrote:
Hello

Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.

Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.

Thanks
Hari

The debate is over two of them currently:

Microsoft Flight Simulator

This one is by far the most popular. You can buy version 10 (called X)
for $50 to $80, depending of the area you live in. If you computer isn't
exactly the best on the market, you could consider version 9 (2004)
since FS X is very demanding on the machine. I don't know if you can buy
it new anymore though.

X-Plane

A nice competitor is X-Plane, which I haven't tried myself so far but
most people who did will try to convince you it is equal, or better than
MS FS. This one has a commercial version which is FAA approved, but the
standard edition is less expensive than MS FS as I understand.

For more information or help, please join alt.games.microsft.flight-sim
We are very friendly and mature. Some of us are even more friendly than
me, and some are much more mature (see both definitions of the word
here). And heck, we even have fun together!

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old June 17th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 16, 2:55*pm, haribole wrote:
Hello

Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.

Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.

Thanks
Hari

There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight instructor
and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer MSFS. I use their
FS2004 version.
I will also note that I recommend the use of the sim only before
starting actual flight training and after solo; before as a
familiarization tool, and after solo as a procedures aid.
I don't recommend the use of the sim at all during the pre solo period
as it is paramount during this period that control pressures used
flying the actual aircraft in use as a trainer be learned.
Other than this, the sim can be an interesting and useful tool for
learning and entertainment.
Dudley Henriques
MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator 2006-2007
CFI Retired
Old June 17th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

Hey, Dubley, most know that I have had to sell my airplane and stop PIC
due to medical. It MSFS something that would keep ones interest if I
purchased the control wheel, rudder peddles, etc? I had an instrument
rating and still marvel at the design of these procedures and what can
be accomplished. Now, I am not sure that I want to go as far as Jay did
with Kiwi.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 17th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 17, 12:10*pm, Ross wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

Absolutely! What has been developed for the sim is wonderful and
accurate. Some add on aircraft are real beyond belief. I'm flying an
F86 Sabre right now in FS2004 that is real enough that I could
actually use it as a tool to help check out a pilot in the aircraft.
Take a look at this Sabre if you like.
http://www.sectionf8.com/

I believe there are add on Cessna 182's that the group might know
about that are excellent as well.
BY all means use the sim. It's a great program.
Sorry to hear about your medical. You and I share this together as I
am no longer flying for the same reason.
Best to you,
Dudley Henriques
Old June 18th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Duhamel

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Absolutely! What has been developed for the sim is wonderful and
accurate. Some add on aircraft are real beyond belief. I'm flying an
F86 Sabre right now in FS2004 that is real enough that I could
actually use it as a tool to help check out a pilot in the aircraft.
Take a look at this Sabre if you like.
http://www.sectionf8.com/

I believe there are add on Cessna 182's that the group might know
about that are excellent as well.
BY all means use the sim. It's a great program.
Sorry to hear about your medical. You and I share this together as I
am no longer flying for the same reason.
Best to you,
Dudley Henriques

Dudley, I would really like to hear your impression about Carenado
aircraft. I currently own and fly their C182RG for FS9, being told it
was quite realistic. I have never flown a real aircraft... yet.

http://www.carenado.com

Tom
Old June 18th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 17, 8:58*pm, Tom Duhamel wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

I've never evaluated their aircraft as much of the work I've done for
add on devs deals with military fighters. I can say that their art
work is extremely well done and very realistic. Their Cessna 152 is
practically a photograph quality of the actual cockpit.
I would assume their flight models are well done.
Not much to go on I'm afraid. Wish I could be of more help. I know
there are folks on the forum who have their products installed. I'm
sure if you post on this issue specifically you will get a ton of
useful information.
Best,
-DH
Old June 18th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:58:08 -0400, Tom Duhamel wrote:

I would really like to hear your impression about Carenado
aircraft.

Hi Tom.. I can answer that, I own many of their products.

I love that they model old 1970's and 1980's aircraft which is more likely
to be what casual pilots fly. I also love the high level of detail in
their 3-D modeling.

But... (you knew a "but" was coming) they also infuriate me with little
mistakes due to a lack of attention to detail. The flight model of the
C-152 II took me several days to correct to make it fly like the real
thing. I'm fortunate in that I know how to manipulate the flight dynamics
files, others are just out of luck.

Here's just one example of one of several infuriating mistakes:

When flying straight and level the attitude indicator show a significant
climb. If you are practicing IMC flight, that's a deal breaker. That's
not a big problem with most vendors as their AI gauge has a calibration
knob, Carenado's does not.

Overall, I'd give them a B+.

--
Dallas
Old June 18th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Dudley Henriques wrote:
On Jun 17, 12:10 pm, Ross wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I might have to try that for the fun of it. I promise I will not
become a MXer.....

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 18th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ross" wrote

Thanks, I might have to try that for the fun of it. I promise I will not
become a MXer.....

Thanks for that, but I don't think you are nearly unbalanced enough for that!

Remember, if it is a pure sim question, the sim group is your best support. ;-)
--
Jim in NC