Annual Report Final. "Long"

Old October 28th 04, 12:20 AM
Jay Honeck

I only got mine yesterday. Haven't seen the article yet, but I read the
notice of
your success at getting the council to drop their idea about eliminating
the airport
commission. Apparently you've also managed to replace the previous AOPA
volunteer.
Congrats!

Thanks, George.

Yep, I'm the new AOPA rep (a group of local pilots finally convinced the
former volunteer -- an airline pilot who hadn't set foot in Iowa City much
for years -- to step down), and we were able to get the city council off of
our backs for another year.

It's funny -- even though we've won every battle for our airport thus far, I
still get the feeling that the anti-airport knives are being sharpened...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 04, 12:39 AM
Jim Weir

That's OK, Jay, even paranoids have real enemies.

{;-)

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old October 28th 04, 02:20 AM
Al Gilson

Arrrgghh! Haven't seen it yet

In article t0Wfd.259408$wV.77298@attbi_s54, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Argh! We STILL haven't
received our copy, even though AOPA says they were
mailed nationally over a week ago...

But thanks -- I hear it's a nice article!

I got mine today.
--
Just got mine. Reading.....

Those magazines must've sat in a postal service warehouse for a few days,
cuz I just received mine today, too. According to AOPA, they were mailed
out over 6 days ago!

Wow -- I'm humbled and amazed. Julie Boatman and Mike Fizer (the
photographer) sure made us look good, no? (Well, as good as a couple of
middle-aged pilots can look...)

:-)

--
Al Gilson
Spokane, WA USA
Old October 28th 04, 03:34 AM
Rick Cabral

According to sources in the Post Office, all Media Mail is being held
until they clear out of political mail. In some areas it is
substantial.
Old October 28th 04, 01:16 PM
Richard Russell

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:17:45 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Argh! We STILL haven't
received our copy, even though AOPA says they were
mailed nationally over a week ago...

But thanks -- I hear it's a nice article!

I got mine today.
--
Just got mine. Reading.....

Those magazines must've sat in a postal service warehouse for a few days,
cuz I just received mine today, too. According to AOPA, they were mailed
out over 6 days ago!

Wow -- I'm humbled and amazed. Julie Boatman and Mike Fizer (the
photographer) sure made us look good, no? (Well, as good as a couple of
middle-aged pilots can look...)

:-)

Congratulations, Jay. This issue is definitely a keeper for you.
You're in it twice, including a great picture, and it has a story on
the Reno races, which I believe you attended for the first time this
year. I've dabbled in photography most of my life, as many have, but
that picture shows the difference between a dabbler and a pro. You
both look great. It's hard to believe that it's the same guy that's
worried about being too old to fly!
Rich Russell
Old October 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Sam

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:t0Wfd.259408$wV.77298@attbi_s54...
Argh! We STILL haven't
received our copy, even though AOPA says they were
mailed nationally over a week ago...

But thanks -- I hear it's a nice article!

I got mine today.
--
Just got mine. Reading.....

Those magazines must've sat in a postal service warehouse for a few days,
cuz I just received mine today, too. According to AOPA, they were mailed
out over 6 days ago!

Wow -- I'm humbled and amazed. Julie Boatman and Mike Fizer (the
photographer) sure made us look good, no? (Well, as good as a couple of
middle-aged pilots can look...)

:-)

He he. I must've received the advanced printing... Got mine about 1 week ago.
Old October 28th 04, 06:44 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Rick Cabral wrote:

According to sources in the Post Office, all Media Mail is being held
until they clear out of political mail. In some areas it is
substantial.

For those AOPA members who haven't received the magazine and would like to read the
text, it's available at
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...neurs0411.html . No photos,
though.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 28th 04, 06:45 PM
Jay Honeck

I've dabbled in photography most of my life, as many have, but
that picture shows the difference between a dabbler and a pro.

Mike Fizer, the AOPA photographer, is truly a pro. He has taken many cover
photos for AOPA Pilot, and his air-to-air work is outstanding. (He did a
cover a few months ago showing a floatplane floating on sun-dappled water
that is quite simply the most beautiful aviation photo I've seen...) He's
also a helluva nice guy who loves a good martini and can hangar fly with the
best of us!

That picture of Mary and me took an hour of set-up time, plus another hour
of shoot time, plus another 30 minutes of take-down time!

One thing he did that was fascinating to me as a non-professional
photographer: First he shot a zillion pictures with us in the chair, and
then he had us very carefully leave the chair without disturbing anything.
He then repositioned the lights so that they would cast a much brighter and
harsher light, and took a bunch of pictures of the same scene, but without
us in it.

THAT is how the pros get all the details in the background to come alive,
without totally washing out the person in the foreground! The picture is
actually a composite of BOTH shots.

Amazing to watch someone who really knows what their doing...

You
both look great. It's hard to believe that it's the same guy that's
worried about being too old to fly!

I'm not worried about it, yet. But I want to be ready for it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 04, 06:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm not worried about it, yet. But I want to be ready for it!

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Old October 28th 04, 07:19 PM
Richard Russell

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:45:42 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information on how the shot was done. I never would
have guessed that it was a composite. Can't take that work to the
one-hour joint.
Rich Russell

Historic aviation and aeronautics books for sale Martin Bayer General Aviation 0 April 24th 04 09:30 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
Air Force Museum Working Group to release final report Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 18th 03 12:28 AM