Student pilot crashes plane into Farmington police department

Old January 24th 04, 02:12 AM
MRQB

Default Student pilot crashes plane into Farmington police department

A single-engine airplane crashed into the Farmington Police Department
Thursday night, but everyone, including the pilot, survived.
A student-pilot was the only person aboard the six-seat plane when it
crashed into the building just after 7 p.m. Thursday.

Police say ten inmates in a holding area at the department were safely
transferred to the San Juan County Detention Center.

Fire Marshal Herb Veazey says the student-pilot suffered head and facial
injuries but was conscious when he was transported to San Juan Regional
Medical Center.

"There's some structural damage inside the building a lot of glass and
debris strewn about...bent and twisted I-beams inside the office area," says
Veazey. "We have a lot of fuel leaking down inside the building."

Farmington police say the student-pilot was practicing take-offs and
landings at Four Corners Regional Airport. It has a runway about 400 yards
from the department.

"I was pulling into the back entrance of the police department when a plane
was on coming on a north western approach to the airport and appeared to
have lost power and fell straight into the north end of the building of the
Farmington police department," says Sgt. Hardy.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the airplane, a Beechcraft Bonanza,
apparently lost power before the crash.

The plane crashed into the roof at the station's detective area. Two
detectives in the building escaped without injury.

Authorities worked through the night to remove the remarkably intact plane
from the roof of the facility.

http://www.krqe.com/expanded2.asp?RE...5D=ID& ID%5BB
igLocalAdvanced%5D=2916

Old January 24th 04, 04:37 AM
BTIZ

lets re name this thread... it is not "crashes into police department."..

it's

Student pilot crashes while landing, hits police department building to
close to runway.

BT

Old January 24th 04, 10:01 PM
CV

BTIZ wrote:
lets re name this thread... it is not "crashes into police department."..

it's

Student pilot crashes while landing, hits police department building to
close to runway.

What exactly is meant by "closing to runway" and how would hitting the
police department building achieve that ?

Old January 24th 04, 11:06 PM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article ,
CV wrote:

BTIZ wrote:
Student pilot crashes while landing, hits police department building to
close to runway.

What exactly is meant by "closing to runway" and how would hitting the
police department building achieve that ?

It's called a typo. Read it as "too close to runway." Better now?

Old January 24th 04, 07:22 AM
scott ARMSTRONG

maybe he wanted to join "the flying squad" !!!!

Old January 24th 04, 05:20 PM
Wdtabor

In article , "MRQB"
writes:

A single-engine airplane crashed into the Farmington Police Department
Thursday night, but everyone, including the pilot, survived.
A student-pilot was the only person aboard the six-seat plane when it
crashed into the building just after 7 p.m. Thursday.

When she reported this incident on the Today show, 'perky' Katie Kouric made my
blood boil when she snidely remarked that it was convenient the student crashed
into a jail since that was where he belonged.

Nice way to report what could have been a tragic accident had the student
panicked and stalled it in.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old January 25th 04, 02:10 AM
SeeAndAvoid

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
When she reported this incident on the Today show, 'perky' Katie Kouric
made my blood boil when she snidely remarked that it was convenient the
student crashed into a jail since that was where he belonged.

Nice way to report what could have been a tragic accident had the student
panicked and stalled it in.

Don

WHAT? She really said that? Stupid &*$%#.

Someone asked about a student pilot in a Bonanza, yep, and it even has (had)
TCAS on board. That was a Mesa flight school airplane, work it all the
time, worked it that day probably, much earlier obviously. They lose about
one a year or so.

Chris

Old January 25th 04, 02:22 AM
BTIZ

ok.. do we now bombard Katey with emails.. like we did CBS on that other
report... maybe we should comment that when her daughters learn to drive a
car and have their first accident.. they should be jailed.

ohh.. that's right.. they'll never learn to drive.. they'll have
chauffeurs..

BT

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
In article , "MRQB"

Old January 25th 04, 08:17 PM
SeeAndAvoid

I was very disappointed, but not surprised, to hear the outrageous comment
Ms. Couric made about an airplane accident in Farmington, NM. A pilot who
loses an engine and crashes, and extremely lucky to be alive, belongs in
jail? An airplane crashes into a building of some kind and you
automatically assume, and broadcast to millions of people, that is must be
some terrorist wannabe?

That particular airplane, and a few others just like it, belong to a flight
school in Farmington. Student pilots and instructors are flying them
multiple times, daily. Where do you think pilots come from? They have to
train somewhere, at usually about $40k of their own money. Yet you see fit
to shoot your uninformed mouth off about a poor student that nearly died?
He, or someone like him, could be your next charter pilot. I'm sure airline
travel is beneath you.

I expect this to be ignored and dumped into your trash bin. Ms. Couric,
with all due respect, which your profession commands less every day from the
general public, stick to the 'soft' stuff and keep your big yapper shut.
We're not all in awe of your 'celebrity' status, you're paid to inform and
entertain. Read the news or sing a song and I may throw a dime in your cup,
otherwise don't overestimate the importance in the grand scheme of things of
what you provide to the public.

(Gave my name and return address. Think I'll get a response? Doubt it.)

Chris