ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES

Old July 16th 04, 01:38 PM
Ventus B

Default ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES

The only place I have found to research the differences between the
above ASW20 glider models is on the Sailplane Directory website. From
what I can tell the B model differs from the "A" by a slightly heavier
airframe, boundary layer control blowholes on the wing, a higher auw,
and different airfoil. And as far as I can tell the C model seems to
have the same airframe as the "A" except for a slightly modified
cockpit, whatever that means, and the same boundary layer control and
airfoil as the B. I also believe the B and C models have different
(less) positive flap settings than the "A". All are certified in the
experimental category.
Can anyone corroborate/elaborate? Also, where can I find
airworthiness directives/technical notes on the ASW20? They are not
available on the FAA website for this model glider.
Old July 16th 04, 02:32 PM
Bert Willing

B and C model have a modified airfoil (w/ boundary layer control, but it
doesn't actually make a noticable difference in performance), a modified
flap setting for landing ("chicken" setting at 38 deg insead of 55 deg for
the A model) and a different mixer for ailerons/flaps. The B model has a
reinforced spar to be able to carry water in the BL version.
B/C models have the canopy connected to a lifting instrument panel, a
modified canopy jettisson mechanism (huge improvement) and automatic
elevator hook-up. They come with a sprung wheel and hydraulic brake. The
cockpit has some more fairings and a slightly different seating position.

That's about it. The important differences are in the safety aspects of the
fuselage... All models exist also as a "L" version with 16.6m span of which
only the BL may carry water in the 16.6m version.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

m...

Old July 16th 04, 10:15 PM
Marc Ramsey

Bert Willing wrote:
That's about it. The important differences are in the safety aspects of the
fuselage... All models exist also as a "L" version with 16.6m span of which
only the BL may carry water in the 16.6m version.

The B/BL (are there any non-L B models?) have a higher max gross weight
in 15M, mine was 1150 lbs. The 20 and 20C models are 950 lbs, I
believe. The B and C were produced concurrently, and there were
improvements made in the cockpit over time, the last B/C cockpits are
set up pretty much like an early ASW-24.

Having been personally acquainted over the years with two usually
careful pilots who made their last flights in Schleicher gliders with
the elevator disconnected, I'd definitely opt for a B or C...

Marc
Old July 17th 04, 03:06 AM
Eric Greenwell

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Having been personally acquainted over the years with two usually
careful pilots who made their last flights in Schleicher gliders with
the elevator disconnected, I'd definitely opt for a B or C...

I know 6 ASW 20 pilots that survived launches with the elevator
disconnected (though the glider often did not), so "I approve Marc's
message". I had a C model for 11 years. I would never have a glider
without automatic elevator hookup, because I am very much aware of my
limitations.

Unless money is a compelling problem, I would not ever suggest an ASW 20
other than the B/C models.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 16th 04, 06:48 PM
Basil Fairston

The B and the C are the same except that the B has a slightly heavier wing =
to allow water ballast to be carried with the 16.6m tips on. The B and C =
differ from the A as follows.

Different aerofoil with blow holes.
Self connecting elevator
Instrument panel raises with the canopy
Revised undercarrage with suspension and a disk brake.
Max flap deplection is about equivalent to 1/2 landing flap in the A model.

For ADs try the Schleicher site or the US representative.

Old July 17th 04, 03:00 AM
Eric Greenwell

Basil Fairston wrote:
The B and the C are the same except that the B has a slightly heavier
wing to allow water ballast to be carried with the 16.6m tips on.
The B and C differ from the A as follows.

I think it was more substantial than "slightly": at least 20-30 pounds
is what I remember. The B model had more ballast allowed in the 15 meter
configuration, the wings were noticeably stiffer, but it was the favored
model for ridge running at high speeds.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 18th 04, 03:58 AM
Tom Serkowski

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
I think it was more substantial than "slightly": at least 20-30 pounds
is what I remember. The B model had more ballast allowed in the 15 meter
configuration, the wings were noticeably stiffer, but it was the favored
model for ridge running at high speeds.

The wings on my '20B weighed a bit over 170 lb each. This is about
the same as each of the 18m wings of my ASH-26E! A one-man rig is an
excellent investment for both.

I loved the '20B and at a max AUW of 525kg (1157 lb) it ran great. I
installed custom dump valves and all the water would be gone in 90
seconds. I could start dumping on downwind leg and be almost empty at
touchdown.

The '26E flies just as nicely, though the roll rate is a bit slower.
And with the extra 200 lbs, the landing is a bit more challenging.
When it comes to landing in a small, rough field, very few other
silplanes give as much confidence as the ASW-20 B/C with the flaps,
spoilers, and 5.00x5.00 wheel with disc brake and shock absorber.

Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E and formerly ASW-20B (5Z)
Old July 17th 04, 10:04 PM
Chris OCallaghan

10 years of discussions of ASW 20s available. Differences,
characteristics, recommendations. Search Google Groups. Use

"ASW 20 Models"
Old July 18th 04, 10:28 AM
Denis

or http://minilien.com/?ExuHxiRZim

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?