New Butterfly Display Software 3.2.1 released

Old July 26th 13, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Default New Butterfly Display Software 3.2.1 released

Hi,

thanks for the feedback we received from you here in R.A.S regarding Butterfly Display software.

I am happy to tell you today that the team has been able to nearly implement all of the requested changes. The new version 3.2.1 features the following changes:

• full menu is always available (also in flight)
• short beep if display switches from no-traffic-screen to radar
• new aircraft selection style for better readability
• hide Target ID if selected aircraft is out of range
• fixed digit width for UTC time
• bigger signs for relative altitudes and climb rates
• selecting targets also in nearest mode, selection switches back to nearest target after 10 seconds

Please find the new version he http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

Update instructions can be found he http://www.butterfly.aero/support/Bu...eChangelog.pdf

Additionally we have released a new and significantly reworked manual: http://www.butterfly.aero/support/Bu...play_EN_EU.pdf

Best regards and again thanks for your feedback!

Marc
Butterfly Avionics
Old July 26th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you, Marc.

Now....what about bringing the Butterfly Vario display up to this level of sophistication?

Guy
Old July 26th 13, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agree. The traffic display for the vario is inadequate.

Chris
Old July 26th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, July 26, 2013 9:48:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Agree. The traffic display for the vario is inadequate.

Chris

I'd settle for just the alarm screen.

All the other stuff is better displayed on a PDA anyway, wouldn't hurt to have it on the vario but I'd rather look at the PDA.
Old July 27th 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:15:57 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, July 26, 2013 9:48:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Agree. The traffic display for the vario is inadequate.

Chris

I'd settle for just the alarm screen.

All the other stuff is better displayed on a PDA anyway, wouldn't hurt to have it on the vario but I'd rather look at the PDA.

Marc,
I guess I messed up installing the update announced above. I loaded the .bfd file on my 2GB stick that I normally use for flight downloads. After inserting it into the Core I pressed the display button and turned PFlarm on. It loaded a file from the memory stick and after a while the display changed from UPDATE MODE WAITING to ... LOADING.
That was displayed for what that seemed like 10 min. Since the memory card war not being read (no lights flickering), I turned the PFlarm off and tried to load again. Now the display has ....Waiting on immediately with the word flashing. Taking out the memory stick, the display only shows the Butterfly with some text but the unit does not boot up into acquiring satellites.
What to do?

Thanks, Herb
Old July 29th 13, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Hi Herb,

to me this sounds like your PF configuration got lost and now the display does not receive data from the PF. Its very hard to actually crash the display during update process, I don't think that this has happened.

Please review your config-file, you can use the tool we have on our website: http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...core-config-en

Best regards
Marc
Old August 11th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Today I updated by brick to 3.3.1 and my Butterfly display to 3.2.1.

At first, operation seemed normal and PCAS targets were displayed ok. Just a few minutes later the display went into a reset loop which had a 2-5 sec period. The loop was a cycle between the display boot screen and a "radar" display with a single ADS-B target.

The problem was seen in "knob at bottom" orientation. I changed orientation but no ADS-B targets seen since then.

I'll continue to monitor this and will report if I learn anything new. I'd suggest not using this firmware for flight until the problem is understood..

Andy

Old August 11th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Changed to knob at right orientation. Waited for ADS-B target to be displayed. ADS-B target(s) displayed ok. While ADS-B target displayed, selected knob at bottom orientation. Immediately entered reset loop.

Andy
Old August 12th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 08/11/2013 4:17 PM, Andy wrote:
Changed to knob at right orientation. Waited for ADS-B target to be displayed. ADS-B target(s) displayed ok. While ADS-B target displayed, selected knob at bottom orientation. Immediately entered reset loop.

Andy

I did my first flight with display fw 3.2.1 (portrait orientation) on
Saturday. After about two hours the display went into the cycle mode as
describe above for a few minutes, it then stopped cycling and resumed
normal operation. The PowerFLARM core (fw 3.31) did not cycle, just the
display.

Luke
Old August 13th 13, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I upgraded to Butterfly display 3.2.1 last week, with current Core firmware 3.00 (according to the PowerFLARM US website). I have checked connections, re-downloaded the update, re-inserted it IAW the normal procedure, and I get the cycling problem reported above (3 flights, about 14 hours of flying).. 3 other FLARM equipped aircraft say they see me properly, and I intermittently see them (when it cycles through that screen). I have been in contact with my dealer, and Butterfly, and they are investigating. For those who wonder what the 'cycling' looks like, I posted a you tube video, which I sent the link for to the factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u37YjIT9P-A.

After 3 e-mails back and forth to support, they suggest swapping displays with a known good one (a good idea, I don't know why that didn't occur to me); I will do that this weekend. Joachim is being very helpful from the AIR Store at Butterfly Avionics GmbH & Garrecht Avionik GmbH...

The following paragraph should probably be in another thread, but...
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when the update to the PowerFLARM firmware was not announced to the registered users, or that it is unclear whether the 3.31 PowerFLARM update is for all users, just those in Europe, or only those with the Transponder issue (i.e., are there bug fixes in the change from 3.00 to 3.31?). If there was an 'announcement' here, I missed it and apologize in advance. The Core/Brick is a generally good product sorely lacking in communication to the users (one man's opinion). One comment - the Brick is bigger in volume than the Portable, and it takes a lot of space, which is confusing since it has less in it (that is, no batteries). If it could be re-engineered to be smaller vertically (may require antennae and the other connectors to be on opposite ends), it would be a much easier to install in gliders with very limited space behind the panel.

The display update fixes the clock font problem (thank you Butterfly), and the new fonts are much more readable; the new range selections are also good. So, an 'attaboy' goes to Butterfly for the changes and the announcement on ras, and once the cycling problem is addressed, all will be good with the display. I'll post the results of the swap here when it's done.

Dan
2D (Canada)