I give up, after many, many years!

Old May 16th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default I give up, after many, many years!

Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On May 16, 8:36 am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:

Because you don't fully understand the context of what you are learning.
Back in the dark ages when I got my PPL it was common practice to take
the ground school at night while training. Sort of like having classroom
and lab.

What about books?

I am reading FAA Handbook from front to back currently.

Any danger in doing that without an instructor present?

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Nope not at all. But if you ever do actually learn to fly I'll bet you
have to read them all over again.
Old May 16th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
gatt writes:

They won't slide you around in the seat during an uncoordinated turn or
lift you against the belt harness centripetal acceleration.

Those sensations aren't necessarily imporant, unless one is flying by the seat
of one's pants, which probably isn't a good idea for most types of flight.

It is damn near required for all types of flying.
Old May 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_3_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
gatt writes:

They won't slide you around in the seat during an uncoordinated turn or
lift you against the belt harness centripetal acceleration.

Those sensations aren't necessarily imporant, unless one is flying by the seat
of one's pants, which probably isn't a good idea for most types of flight.

Those sensations are very important. Knowing how to interpret them
(and how to avoid misinterpreting them) is especially important.

"There are three sources of actual 'feel' that are very important to the
pilot. One is the pilot's own body as it responds to the forces of
acceleration. The 'G' loads imposed on the airframe are also felt by the
pilot. Centripetal accelerations for the pilot down into the seat or
raise the pilot against the seat belt. Radial accelerations, as they
produce slips or skids of the airframe, shift the pilot from side to
side in the seat. These forces need not be strong, only perceptible by
the pilot to be useful. An accomplished pilot who had excellent 'feel'
for the airplane will be able to detect even the minutest change.
"Another type of 'feel' comes to the pilot through the airframe. It
consists mainly of vibration. An example is the aerodynamic buffeting
and shaking that precedes a stall.
"The senses that contribute to 'feel' of the airplane are inherent in
every person. However, 'feel' must be developed. The flight instructor
should direct the beginning pilot to be attuned to these senses and
teach an awareness of their meaning as it relates to various conditions
of flight. To do this effectively, the flight instructor must fully
understand the difference between perceiving something and merely
noticing it. It is a well established fact that the pilot who develops a
"feel" for the airplane early in flight training will have little
difficulty with advanced flight maneuvers." - FAA-H-8083-3A

Old May 16th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

Those sensations are very important. Knowing how to interpret them
(and how to avoid misinterpreting them) is especially important.

Then why must they be ignored for safe IFR flight?

"There are three sources of actual 'feel' that are very important to the
pilot. One is the pilot's own body as it responds to the forces of
acceleration. The 'G' loads imposed on the airframe are also felt by the
pilot. Centripetal accelerations for the pilot down into the seat or
raise the pilot against the seat belt. Radial accelerations, as they
produce slips or skids of the airframe, shift the pilot from side to
side in the seat. These forces need not be strong, only perceptible by
the pilot to be useful. An accomplished pilot who had excellent 'feel'
for the airplane will be able to detect even the minutest change.

How do pilots of RC models and UAVs manage to fly, given that they do not have
these sensations?

I understand why so many pilots without IFR training last only a few minutes
in IMC before they spin out of control, if they have such an overwhelming
dependence on relatively unreliable physical sensations.
Old May 16th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

It is damn near required for all types of flying.

Not for instrument flight.
Old May 16th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Nomen Nescio writes:

Even in IMC, physical sensations are crucial to maintaining smooth flight.

Examples?
Old May 16th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

It is damn near required for all types of flying.

Not for instrument flight.

Unless you have autoland, it is. And landing isn't the only use for
sensations. Despite your claimed superior education, you're an idiot.

Again, Anthony, you've proved you don't know **** from shinola about
aviation.

Old May 16th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Nomen Nescio writes:

Even in IMC, physical sensations are crucial to maintaining smooth
flight.

Examples?

You're recent crash of a 172 in Colorodo, moron. The sensations might not
tell you which way something is happening, but they tell you something is
happening. You then snap your attention from whatever you're doing (like
reading charts) and get them back on the instuments to see what exactly is
happening. A very basic concept which is way, way, way above your miniscule
IQ.

DC-3 parts to give away Robert Little Restoration 2 November 23rd 06 03:30 AM
Who can give a checkout? Mark S Conway General Aviation 2 May 9th 05 12:15 AM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 08:04 PM
Did you ever give up on an IR? No Such User Piloting 24 November 26th 03 02:45 PM
FS 2004 give away Ozzie M Simulators 0 November 23rd 03 03:50 PM